The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
Mar 10, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #3,001 of 4,308
Quote:
Let me insist
tongue.gif

You should be able to adjust the height so that the headband does not even touch the top of your head, as it will be self-sustained by the clamping force. Then you can gradually reduce the height untill the headband touches so slighlty the top of your head and rests confortably even for long period of time. That unless the padding is completely worn out.

Sorry but Pioneer had the perfect little system. Beyerdynamic falters badly compared to the ingenious solution on the Pioneer Monitor 10(R). It is almost unforgivable.

Mar 11, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #3,002 of 4,308
Let me insist
tongue.gif

You should be able to adjust the height so that the headband does not even touch the top of your head, as it will be self-sustained by the clamping force. Then you can gradually reduce the height untill the headband touches so slighlty the top of your head and rests confortably even for long period of time. That unless the padding is completely worn out.

padding isn't worn by the looks of it.

not going to work. a) I don't want 400g clamped on my ears, that already hurt from this inhumane torture instrument b) the headband is already specifically adjusted to take a large part of that weight off c) it's also set so the drivers are more or less correctly positioned WRT my ears, with deviations from that seeming to shift the sound volume and/or making it sound slightly weird.

Quote:
Sorry but Pioneer had the perfect little system. Beyerdynamic falters badly compared to the ingenious solution on the Pioneer Monitor 10(R). It is almost unforgivable.

considering Monitor 10's headband has exactly 0 padding it's also incredibly uncomfortable.

Mar 12, 2011 at 4:44 AM Post #3,003 of 4,308
Padding can be added with ease. The old Pioneer is a heavy beast but the padding over your head issue should be dealt with via the clamping force and the ear pads. 

I am seriously considering modifying my DT48E. It has some design characteristics that make it semi user friendly at most. 

Mar 12, 2011 at 5:05 AM Post #3,004 of 4,308
Small heads, like mine, have hard times with the pathetic DT48 headband. It is just too long.
I think Beyer made a mistake changing the pad without redesigning the band.
My DT48-S came with the original pad but unfortunately incomplete. Tath is made of a rubber band through which  the headband goes and a pair (or three?) thick pads of softer material fixed beneath the headband and making for the space the new style pad has lost. My headphone was missing those spacing pads.

I would like to find the original head pad. I believe that, form my head shape, they work better than the new pad. If anybody has one to sell please pm-me.

Thanks.

Mar 12, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #3,005 of 4,308

Quote:
Wow, this thread is definitely moving again. Nice to see, things had come to a bit of a standstill after KBI left.

I think it's time to apply for KBI's reinstatement. To me, he was an overall benefit to this forum and I for one don't believe anything he said here could have been all that bad considering some of the swill I see posted.

Kevin 

Mar 13, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #3,006 of 4,308
Pure golden words. It is still to be seen if KBI is interest on this.
Any way I endorse the appeal 100%.

Quote:

I think it's time to apply for KBI's reinstatement. To me, he was an overall benefit to this forum and I for one don't believe anything he said here could have been all that bad considering some of the swill I see posted.

Kevin 

Mar 14, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #3,007 of 4,308
I finally had some time to compare T5p and DT48e. http://www.head-fi.org/products/beyerdynamic-t5p/reviews/4868 . Surprisingly, they're not that different. T5p is just a lot more humane to wear and less rolled off lower end/doesn't have that much of a perceived mids/treble peak (or mids focus).... mmm...yea. 'more humane' is probably a nice summary :D . Leather pads, actual padding on the headband, no bear grip (consequently, less isolation, but enough for most times).

Mar 14, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #3,008 of 4,308

Quote:
I finally had some time to compare T5p and DT48e. http://www.head-fi.org/products/beyerdynamic-t5p/reviews/4868 . Surprisingly, they're not that different. T5p is just a lot more humane to wear and less rolled off lower end/doesn't have that much of a perceived mids/treble peak (or mids focus).... mmm...yea. 'more humane' is probably a nice summary
biggrin.gif
. Leather pads, actual padding on the headband, no bear grip (consequently, less isolation, but enough for most times).

Well, always good to hear that the dt48 compares favorably with a phone that's 3 times the price! Interesting. I wouldn't mind a more 'humane' dt48 myself! If I could afford it that is. I have to disagree with your description of the dt48 highs in your review of the T5p. Mine have no discernible peak....in fact they're a bit rolled off compared to some other phones like the 240DF. It's the relatively weak lows that are the only issue I have....other than the comfort....or rather, lack of same.

Mar 14, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #3,009 of 4,308

Interesting impressions Svyr, thanks a lot for sharing. When you say they are not that different, do you mean that their overall tonal balance is close enough ? What about soundstage size (I imagine the T5p will be far bigger) and imaging. Additionnally, what about transparency, microdynamic and instrument texture ?

Well, Nicolas Tesla and Eugene Beyer were contemporaries, so no surprise the new Tesla T1 / T5p and DT48 should sound alike
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Quote:
I finally had some time to compare T5p and DT48e. http://www.head-fi.org/products/beyerdynamic-t5p/reviews/4868 . Surprisingly, they're not that different. T5p is just a lot more humane to wear and less rolled off lower end/doesn't have that much of a perceived mids/treble peak (or mids focus).... mmm...yea. 'more humane' is probably a nice summary
biggrin.gif
. Leather pads, actual padding on the headband, no bear grip (consequently, less isolation, but enough for most times).

Mar 14, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #3,010 of 4,308

Agree... thanks for sharing! And mid range timbre and weight?
Quote:
Interesting impressions Svyr, thanks a lot for sharing. When you say they are not that different, do you mean that their overall tonal balance is close enough ? What about soundstage size (I imagine the T5p will be far bigger) and imaging. Additionnally, what about transparency, microdynamic and instrument texture ?

Well, Nicolas Tesla and Eugene Beyer were contemporaries, so no surprise the new Tesla T1 / T5p and DT48 should sound alike
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 14, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #3,011 of 4,308
Well, always good to hear that the dt48 compares favorably with a phone that's 3 times the price! Interesting. I wouldn't mind a more 'humane' dt48 myself! If I could afford it that is. I have to disagree with your description of the dt48 highs in your review of the T5p. Mine have no discernible peak....in fact they're a bit rolled off compared to some other phones like the 240DF. It's the relatively weak lows that are the only issue I have....other than the comfort....or rather, lack of same.

not 48, 48e.

mids are less relatively prominent on T5p.

>soundstage size (I imagine the T5p will be far bigger)

yes. IMO, diffused sound-stage = somewhat less realistic sound for some instruments, although at the same time, it's easier to 'pick out' instruments...

>what about transparency, microdynamic and instrument texture

DT48e is probably more more transparent in the mids, T5p in the highs. No idea what 'microdynamics' would be.

PS added some pics to the review

Mar 14, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #3,012 of 4,308

Quote:
Quote:

not 48, 48e.

mids are less relatively prominent on T5p.

yes. IMO, diffused sound-stage = somewhat less realistic sound for some instruments, although at the same time, it's easier to 'pick out' instruments...

DT48e is probably more more transparent in the mids, T5p in the highs. No idea what 'microdynamics' would be.

PS added some pics to the review

The 'e' version is the one I was referring to. Mine is from the late 80's I think. Somewhat relaxed highs, not at all as you described them with your set. Very prominent and weighty mids for certain....in part due to the somewhat rolled off bass.

Mar 14, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #3,013 of 4,308

The 'e' version is the one I was referring to. Mine is from the late 80's I think. Somewhat relaxed highs, not at all as you described them with your set. Very prominent and weighty mids for certain....in part due to the somewhat rolled off bass.

pretty sure my one is the new (2005ish version). I think shamu used to own it

Mar 15, 2011 at 5:03 AM Post #3,014 of 4,308
You both are wasting your time arguing about the tonal balance of the DT48 because the only thing you are actually listening with the DT48 is the tonal balance of the rest of your system
biggrin.gif
 And of course your own HRTF but results should then be consistent across headphones.

Quote:

Mmmm.... suddenly the T5p do not look that interesting to me (diffuse imaging and less transparent) 
frown.gif

Quote:

Mar 15, 2011 at 6:00 AM Post #3,015 of 4,308
You both are wasting your time arguing about the tonal balance of the DT48 because the only thing you are actually listening with the DT48 is the tonal balance of the rest of your system
biggrin.gif
 And of course your own HRTF but results should then be consistent across headphones.

>the only thing you are actually listening with the DT48 is the tonal balance of the rest of your system

thanks chief, we're old enough to compensate for that at least the system bit (no noticeable weirdness on neutral HP and ELCs for me I think either). To top it off, MD11 which I'm currently using as a DAC/AMP while everything else is in prod or repair has -3db @ 20khz roll off and is generally pretty dark sounding. I kinda thought DT48e from the 80s and mid-late 2000s were in fact different and it was a well acknowledged fact... hmph.

> suddenly the T5p do not look that interesting to me (diffuse imaging and less transparent) 

not really a fan of that particular aspect either. Always hated K702 for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back