The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
Feb 25, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #2,986 of 4,308
Got them today! They're heavy little things! Gorgeous though.

Feb 26, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #2,988 of 4,308
Pics!!!!

Look at the production date!!!! The day before Christmas! Haha

Feb 26, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #2,989 of 4,308
I just noticed something. See those screws on the above pictures? (I feel this needs a separate post) Those are their terminals. Unscrew them, and they (terminals) come off. This is basically a failproof headphone to recable because it's impossible to kill the drivers by overheating them! Awesome. Good thing too, because they sound pretty crappy mono, and the cable smells like...old and it bothers me.

Feb 28, 2011 at 6:31 AM Post #2,990 of 4,308
I just noticed something. See those screws on the above pictures? (I feel this needs a separate post) Those are their terminals. Unscrew them, and they (terminals) come off. This is basically a failproof headphone to recable because it's impossible to kill the drivers by overheating them! Awesome. Good thing too, because they sound pretty crappy mono, and the cable smells like...old and it bothers me.

impressive. need a thin soldering tip though, is the black rim next to it is plastic?
Re: impossible to kill the drivers - I'd be mindful of how the soldering terminals are connected to the drivers (how heat conductive are those and which part of the driver they stick to)...

Feb 28, 2011 at 7:22 AM Post #2,991 of 4,308
Nope, aluminum as far as I can tell, and no idea. You don't need a thin tip though, because you can remove the piece of metal with the solder, which I meant if it wasn't clear. I'll post a pic when I recable them.

Mar 4, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #2,993 of 4,308

Quote:
Nope, aluminum as far as I can tell, and no idea. You don't need a thin tip though, because you can remove the piece of metal with the solder, which I meant if it wasn't clear. I'll post a pic when I recable them.

Be very careful and check the solder points first. On my DT48 (probably 1969) the thin voice coil wire is soldered to one end of the metal piece - red rings - with the cable at the other end:

Mar 5, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #2,994 of 4,308
Mine are actually totally different.

Mar 10, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #2,998 of 4,308

eek.gif

Quote:
... I tried wearing my dt48a without the headband and it was very painful.

Seriously, Svyr, I think you can reduce the pressure by adjusting the headband height with the sliding mechanism at both sides of the headband (some require to unscrew some bolts, other just slide manually).

Mar 10, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #2,999 of 4,308
eek.gif

Seriously, Svyr, I think you can reduce the pressure by adjusting the headband height with the sliding mechanism at both sides of the headband (some require to unscrew some bolts, other just slide manually).

first thing i did when I got them. Didn't help. It's not the height. It's the lack of padding at the top.

Mar 10, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #3,000 of 4,308
Let me insist
tongue.gif

You should be able to adjust the height so that the headband does not even touch the top of your head, as it will be self-sustained by the clamping force. Then you can gradually reduce the height untill the headband touches so slighlty the top of your head and rests confortably even for long period of time. That unless the padding is completely worn out.

Quote:
first thing i did when I got them. Didn't help. It's not the height. It's the lack of padding at the top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back