The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
Feb 20, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #2,956 of 4,308

Quote:
Is there anyone out there with the original factory installed E pads still intact, or a DT48E that was bought brand new recently? Where are your holes? lol. 

Its just really driving me nuts, im very particular about symetry and little stuff like that. There must be a particular way they go on.  

OK - I felt like living dangerously, so here's what I found.  The holes on my new 48E cushions are both (left and right) on the side of the pad facing away from me when wearing.  Both are near the center of the long side of the pad.  On the right side, the hole is about 1/4 inch above the center of the driver center cover, and on the left side, the hole is about 3/4 inch below center.

Feb 20, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #2,957 of 4,308
Thanks dale for your help. I have shifted my pads as you described. Sounds like my replacement pads were installed all backwards. There are minor sound differences in the way the pads are installed, mainly dealing with fit and seal. These are minor. But I like to say, the DT48 needs all the seal it can get! 

The outside shape of the cushion pad changes along its circumference. It looks like the side facing away from you (left side of cushion on L, right side on R) is slanted more. Just an observation. 

Were these pads installed by you (replaced) or are they factory installed?

Feb 20, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #2,958 of 4,308

Quote:
Thanks dale for your help. I have shifted my pads as you described. Sounds like my replacement pads were installed all backwards. There are minor sound differences in the way the pads are installed, mainly dealing with fit and seal. These are minor. But I like to say, the DT48 needs all the seal it can get! 

The outside shape of the cushion pad changes along its circumference. It looks like the side facing away from you (left side of cushion on L, right side on R) is slanted more. Just an observation. 

Were these pads installed by you (replaced) or are they factory installed?

The pads that came factory installed on my 48E (which I haven't altered or removed) look perfectly symmetrical, oval, and so I put a ruler on them and I see that they are, at least within less than a mm.  Measuring on the inside the metal diaphragm cover is in the exact center.  This photo is exactly what they look like.

Feb 21, 2011 at 4:49 AM Post #2,959 of 4,308

Yes, apparently, those slotted screws are original. BTW, aren't those DT48A with SNr108 those of KBI now, seen also here on APureSound :

If k3oxkjo with SNr121 got the same "franken" headband as pictured in the pamphlet, then we could asume this was actually the shape of the original DT48A headband. The headband from this DT48A SNr108 was probably replaced at some point with a newer model. Maybe the headband itself is also partly responsible for a slight change in sound.

Mmmmm, so the DT48A was also the first ever created high-end TOTL headphone, selling at a whopping $80 back in 1960....  
biggrin.gif

Quote:

I would assume they're originals seeing as littlebear's DT48's SNr108 had slotted screws as well.

I am seriously stoked to get them. I mean this is probably the DT48 fan's dream come true--a serial numbered DT48 from 1960 in immaculate condition other than the pads and a tiny loss of lettering, and all the original stuff that came with it, all for half the price of those M50's newbies are gushing over.
biggrin.gif

I also noticed they have the franken DT48 headband. IIRC, the one k3oxkjo got (SNr121 in fact) had the same headband.

And Judy, according to this, $80 would be about $600 now, and the HP1000 series was never very cheap. IIRC, they  were like $600 for the TOTL HP1 right? That's about $1000 in today money. Not much of a drastic inflation. They routinely go for around $1500ish and sometimes more or less depending on condition.

Feb 21, 2011 at 5:10 AM Post #2,960 of 4,308
Thanks again dalethorn, without your help we would probably never know how they actually go on. Beyer does not have instructions anywhere on the web.  

Its crazy how close the tolerances are on this headphone, not even a mm off with even the padding, a perfect hermetic seal with back plate, precisely matched drivers, etc...  

Feb 21, 2011 at 7:48 AM Post #2,961 of 4,308
For those of you who haven't experienced the audiometric round cushions, I want to reiterate that the light bass with the oval cushions completely disappears with the round cushions. I can't imagine a human ear shape that would allow any kind of seal with the hard rubber round cushions, but then, I've never seen a hearing test that tested low frequencies either.

Feb 21, 2011 at 8:33 AM Post #2,962 of 4,308

Quote:

Yes, apparently, those slotted screws are original. BTW, aren't those DT48A with SNr108 those of KBI now, seen also here on APureSound :

If k3oxkjo with SNr121 got the same "franken" headband as pictured in the pamphlet, then we could asume this was actually the shape of the original DT48A headband. The headband from this DT48A SNr108 was probably replaced at some point with a newer model. Maybe the headband itself is also partly responsible for a slight change in sound.

Mmmmm, so the DT48A was also the first ever created high-end TOTL headphone, selling at a whopping $80 back in 1960....  
biggrin.gif

Yup the same ones!

I'm actually kinda sad I don't get the adjustable headband since this one probably won't have as much clamp so less bass than they already don't have, but hey beggers can't be choosers!

One more thing to brag about
biggrin.gif

Feb 21, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #2,963 of 4,308
I didn't realize I was "going original" when I refurbished my DT48 and needed new screws. One was missing, the previous owner had attached the triangular plastic cable split-box on one cup - looked strange to say the least. Ordinary slotted screws seemed a better option than the instrumental screws which I couldn't find a tool for anyway. 2 dollars for 10 stainless steel screws, a metal saw and the problem was solved.

Feb 21, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #2,966 of 4,308

Quote:
I notice the HD800 has high definition drivers.. Does this make them better then the DT48?

Better than the dt48? That's heresy! 

Feb 21, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #2,968 of 4,308

Quote:
I notice the HD800 has high definition drivers.. Does this make them better then the DT48?

The DT-48's drivers are said to be a lot more like Tesla drivers than any of the conventional headphone drivers.  Which is better?  As a driver per se, ignoring frequency response and resonance characteristics, the driver that's the most responsive, maybe like an electrostatic driver, would be better.  I would have guessed that the more modern thin driver membranes of dynamic headphones would provide much greater responsiveness to a hi-fi signal than the old DT-48 drivers.  But my ears say the jury is still out on that.  Not many people have had a listen to the new DT-48E with improved sound, so unfortunately there isn't a trustworthy body of evidence to draw from.  I continue to compare it directly to the Sennheiser HD-800, and I feel that they are quite comparable in clarity and responsiveness.  In fact, allowing that the DT-48 has less apparent bass, the bass seems clearer than with the 800, but I could just be being fooled by a difference that isn't really comparable.  On the high end it's a problem comparing as well, since the new DT-48E has a mild suckout in the very upper-presence range around 5-7 khz where the HD-800 is slightly boosted.  That makes the HD-800 seem even clearer and "airier", but I dunno on that one either.  I would say that the new DT-48E is a much better bargain for its price than the HD-800 on the basis of music sound alone, and that ignores the comfort and critical positioning for listening issues that goes well in favor of the HD-800.  Since Beyerdynamic is now pressing the Tesla drivers into the lower price ranges (B&H is selling the new DT-1350 for only $199 U.S.), we might find that a DT-48-like sound is going to finally be available in a reasonable price in a modern configuration (comfort, etc.)  Stay tuned for the review of the DT-1350.  BTW, isn't the T50P also a Tesla 'phone? 

Feb 22, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #2,969 of 4,308
Just a thought: I had to pick up a CD-player today and I took the DT48E with me to test the CD-player with some test tracks. Meanwhile I connected the DT48 to my phone to listen to some WMA in 320 kbps and if only my DT48E had better isolating ear pads with an easier way to adjust the headband my DT48E would make a very good allround portable headphone. A DT48E with different earpads made of (p)leather à la DT880, it could work...

Feb 22, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #2,970 of 4,308

Quote:
Just a thought: I had to pick up a CD-player today and I took the DT48E with me to test the CD-player with some test tracks. Meanwhile I connected the DT48 to my phone to listen to some WMA in 320 kbps and if only my DT48E had better isolating ear pads with an easier way to adjust the headband my DT48E would make a very good allround portable headphone. A DT48E with different earpads made of (p)leather à la DT880, it could work...

Based on the dramatic change in sound with just a small difference in the oval earpads for the new DT-48E, I would guess changing to a more isolating earpad (or any different earpad) would change the sound of the DT-48 in a very big way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back