The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
Sep 5, 2010 at 10:49 AM Post #2,417 of 4,308

A little off topic,, friend of mine just ordered the Beyerdynamic DT 770 (250 ohm), it will be here tuesday hopefully. Anyone heard these?

horrid, and a major rip off for the price...he could have just bought a Superlux copycat and invest that money in a better source or amp. The 770/Pro is meant for instrumentists and radio operators, due to its stellar isolation.

Sep 5, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #2,418 of 4,308
Well I hope he likes them. He is more of a casual listener, and prefers a bit of extra bass that also goes deep. But he still likes details and clarity, so I hope these headphones arent bad on that part.  

Sep 5, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #2,420 of 4,308
For those looking for a 'hi end' amp to drive your 5-8ohm DT48 headphones.. Look no further then the Beyerdynamic A1.. Peter confirmed they are a perfect match for the DT48's low ohm.. He asked one of the A1 engineers.. It is a bit pricy 730 at Moon Audio.. But if you really want great synergy with your DT48, I don't think anything else is out there for such low ohm headphones.. I might buy one myself.. Using my ohm adapter with my V9 ia more useless then teets on a bull..

Sep 5, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #2,421 of 4,308
After a long hiatus due to a horrific schedule, I'm putting the final touches on my design for a pair of custom DT48's. I have one last question, which I posted here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/510968/impedance-amps-custom-phones-and-dt48-s-let-the-arguments-begin

All those familiar with impedance adaptors and amps, please help! Thanks!

Sep 5, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #2,422 of 4,308
KBI, almost all solid state amps will drive a 5-8 Ohm headphone without trouble. $730 is too much, as well. I'd go with a Gilmore Lite/Dynalo or M^3 for a substantial savings. $730 will go a long ways towards a Beta22, as well.

Sep 5, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #2,423 of 4,308
I'm totally confused. DT48-E or DT48-A? Which is the one to get? Which impedence?

It is my understanding that these are like my electrostats: Brutally honest and have less bass and treble than other phones.  And there is no neodynium?

Sep 6, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #2,424 of 4,308
Quote:
I'm totally confused. DT48-E or DT48-A? Which is the one to get? Which impedence?

It is my understanding that these are like my electrostats: Brutally honest and have less bass and treble than other phones.  And there is no neodynium?

The DT48-A is the audiometric version with the red and blue cups and rubber pads.  I haven't tried one, but I've seen reports of them being uncomfortable.  The DT48-E is the set designed for monitoring and has nice stuffed vinyl pads.  I think you'd be a lot happier with the E version, though those red and blue cups are awfully cool.

And these ain't like 'stats, though they're clear and fast.  Most 'stats have more bass impact than a DT48.  You'll hear the notes all the way down, but it's not what you're used to.

Sep 6, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #2,425 of 4,308
I heard the Burston 160 is bad for very low ohm headphones.. & I CAN'T use my V9 without a adapter.. Had a Beta22 in mind.. Already know a builder, but wants around a grand for the good parts & one of my DT48.. Which is fair.. I just need the money first..

Quote:
KBI, almost all solid state amps will drive a 5-8 Ohm headphone without trouble. $730 is too much, as well. I'd go with a Gilmore Lite/Dynalo or M^3 for a substantial savings. $730 will go a long ways towards a Beta22, as well.

Sep 6, 2010 at 12:32 PM Post #2,426 of 4,308

No Neodynium..Ferrmite for the new DT48 models..At least the E models. Different mineral compositions have been used in the past which can explain the difference in sound during the different era's.. The DT48A is technically superior to the DT48e.. Shamu can attest to this.. Never heard a stat, but if they are anymore clear then the DT48A I would truly be besides myself.. Some owners favor the DT48 over hi end stax (02, etc) for acoustics & voices, One french member prefers the mids from his DT48e over his HE60.. His words.. Just more faithful. I know the electro sound is very different then dynamic sound.. But the DT48 don't sound like any dynamic headphone I heard before... They are truly a engima. You have Ortho sound. Electro sound. Dynamic sound. Then DT48 sound.. They are that different sounding that I'd put them in their own category..

They will be a shock to your brain & sensory organs.. Forget what you think you know about headphone listening & hearing in general..Very unconventional sounding. Treble is lite compared to other headphones IMO. They sound exactly like a headphone. No bass emphasis anywhere, so you won't feel the lowest of the lows. Bass quantity & impact soley depends on the recording, amp, & volume..They might sound, 'wrong', off, 'bad', weird, upon first listen.. But listen to them for a week straight then go back to your regular headphones.. All DT48a are 5 ohm.. DT48e come in 8 (discontinued), 25,  200..
Quote:

Sep 7, 2010 at 3:10 AM Post #2,427 of 4,308
I take it the 25-ohm DT48-E is generally better than the 200 ohm?

Sep 7, 2010 at 10:55 AM Post #2,428 of 4,308
It's the older(vintage or semi-vintage) 25ohm dt48e that's often considered better than either of the two new(current) dt48e models...25ohm or 200ohm. If you are buying a new one you would probably have to decide which impedance will work best with your amp.

Quote:

Sep 7, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #2,429 of 4,308
Depends on amplification.. I read somewhere that the 200ohm are more upfront..But can't confirm. New models.. I have a vintage 200ohm that betters my vintage 25ohm model by a good margin.. But Mine is unique.. Thew headband is different, & they sound different then other DT48 models, with a slight hint of warmth not found in the others.. I believe some internal tinkering was done personally.

Quote:

I feel the mid range is a tad thick on the newer models, & lacks a bit of the clarity, detail, & 'flatness' that the vintage models offer.. But the newer models are more 'technically correct', in a more conventional sense.. They sound a bit less like a headphone, but loses some of the DT48 magic in the process.. But the newer models do 'improve' on a few things..More extended highs, more ample bass & a tad fuller..Pitches a very black background but feels manufactured & less natural.. Also a bit more treble energy.. The vintage models are more unforgiving IMO.. My loaner HE6 has shipped today.. Will do a huge write up comparing them to my NAGRA's & 08 models..
Quote:
It's the older(vintage or semi-vintage) 25ohm dt48e that's often considered better than either of the two new(current) dt48e models...25ohm or 200ohm. If you are buying a new one you would probably have to decide which impedance will work best with your amp.

Sep 8, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #2,430 of 4,308
Looking forward to reading your impressions... In a few days, I will also be able to compare my DT48A to an HD800 in my system. Should be very instructive.

Quote:
My loaner HE6 has shipped today.. Will do a huge write up comparing them to my NAGRA's & 08 models..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back