The Beyerdynamic DT250 Thread
Jan 26, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #361 of 1,049
Do you find that your 250ohm model is as rolled off in the highs as the 80ohm model? I had no problem with the bass when I had the 80ohm version, but the highs were quite lacking compared to my akg k240DF which was my reference at the time. I removed the foam and replaced it with thin cloth and was able to get more treble that way, but it still seemed a bit rolled off. that was my main issue with them other than the fact they didn't fold up for portable use.

I have had no issues with rolled off highs in either 80 or 250 ohm headphones. then again, I ultimately got rid of both pairs of akg k701 and both pairs of akg k601 I had because try as I might. could never get used to the treble, they sounded notchy and boosted - I hated it.

dt-250's are just neutral to me.

Jan 26, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #362 of 1,049
I just returned the 770/32 LE and put in an order for a 250-250. Going to take a couple weeks to get to me, but from what I am reading, it's the closed can I have been looking for. It's going to be a long two weeks...

Jan 26, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #363 of 1,049
Quote:
I have had no issues with rolled off highs in either 80 or 250 ohm headphones. then again, I ultimately got rid of both pairs of akg k701 and both pairs of akg k601 I had because try as I might. could never get used to the treble, they sounded notchy and boosted - I hated it.

dt-250's are just neutral to me.

At the time I had the dt250, the k240DF was my reference phone. Since I got hold of an hd580, I'm finding the treble of the DF to be a bit over the top....and the k702 is also over the top bright compared to the Senn. So I guess it's all relative....depends what you've been accustomed to. At the moment I'm much more comfortable with the treble level of the hd580 than the treble of the DF, so I imagine that I'd find the dt250 more to my liking if I had them now.

Jan 30, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #364 of 1,049
I just got a paradox here with me to test out. I might not be giving it justice out of an O2 amp but the dt250-250 just sounds more natural, and less colored than the paradox What

Jan 30, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #365 of 1,049
I had a pair these a while ago. The problem with them is that the cable is too heavy for them to be portable but for home use you're better off with open phones. I got a head-fier to make me a custom shorter cable but it was still too heavy.

Jan 31, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #366 of 1,049
Question: do these cans come stock with the the famous velour earpads? 

These ones: http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-Velour-Earcushions-MDR7506-Headphones/dp/B0016MF7W2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359664558&sr=8-1&keywords=dt250+ear

Feb 1, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #371 of 1,049
Quote:
I had a pair these a while ago. The problem with them is that the cable is too heavy for them to be portable but for home use you're better off with open phones. I got a head-fier to make me a custom shorter cable but it was still too heavy.

Depends entirely on needs - for some home and studio/practicing use, the small bit of isolation they offer is worth it. Just enough to cut the sound of picks, fingers, and frets, some of which can be very loud with an electric bass. Similarly, they will cut the sound of fans, HVAC units, and rude neighbors.

Quote:
At the time I had the dt250, the k240DF was my reference phone. Since I got hold of an hd580, I'm finding the treble of the DF to be a bit over the top....and the k702 is also over the top bright compared to the Senn. So I guess it's all relative....depends what you've been accustomed to. At the moment I'm much more comfortable with the treble level of the hd580 than the treble of the DF, so I imagine that I'd find the dt250 more to my liking if I had them now.

Several years ago I used to use a pair of Sennheiser EH-2270 headphones for practice/light mixing/rehearsal, and I went with them because they were mostly neutral, but a bit thin and nasal. Around the same time I gave a pair of EH-2250 to a bandmate and changed his life (he had be using MDR-v600s!)

The DT-250's in either rating does a much better job of sounding neutral than either Sennheiser, has more isolation, and much much better deep bass. In that it's there and you can hear it. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a headphone for less than $200 that does a better job at that task than the DT-250, though I'm sure many of the more recent $100-150 monitor oriented headphones are quite good in their own right. Had they been around when I was in the market, I may never have spent as much as I did.

would you say that there are significant changes in sound with the pleather/vinyl earpads?

...and how is the overall isolation of the stock velour pads?

There's a significant change in sweaty ears, but not sound. I've never used the pleather for more than a few minutes (on any phone where I had the option - k271, k241, HD-25-1, etc). But I hate the feel of pleather pads.

Feb 1, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #372 of 1,049
Okay, got my DT250-250 and I am absolutely blown away. I honestly didn't think this type of sound was available in closed cans. The treble is a little more rolled off than would be ideal for me, but that is really nitpicking. The bass is excellent. Goes deep and is very tight, but still provides some rumble when called upon. The mids are amazing. I am very particular about vocals and these are excellent. Surprisingly they have just good enough volume and sound quality out of my iPhone4S, so that takes care of my occasional portable needs. Did I mention I am blown away? I have been A/B'ing with my HD580 (600 grills) and I am having a hard time choosing. Just when I think I found a flaw in the DT250, I switch to the 580 and the same flaw is there. The 580 has a bit more treble presence and air and a hair less boxy in the mids. I am still in the honeymoon phase, but the 580 might be on it's way out.

I feel very sorry for everyone looking for a neutral, mid-centric can who hasn't tried these. A lot of people are missing out on the best closed headphone I have come across. I am so glad I found this thread.

Feb 1, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #373 of 1,049
I've heard they Also improve alot with good amplification. Now I'm having a hard time choosing between this and the soundmagic HP100.

Feb 2, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #374 of 1,049
Slaughter... I feel sorry for people that haven't tried these too. I mean the 250 ohm version out of just a jdslabs o2 using linux or mac sounds awesome. Out of windows, they sound a little thinner but a richer sounding NOS dac takes care of it :)

Feb 2, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #375 of 1,049
I'm using them with a DIY tube hybrid amp and older DAC. I found a good tube that provides more top end, so that solved that issue. I have large ears and its takes a few minutes of positioning to get them comfortable, but then they mostly disappear. I need to make a straight cable because the stock is a bit heavy even for desktop use. I might check out the O2 because tubes are getting harder to find and more expensive and an all in one unit would clean up my desk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back