The Beyerdynamic DT250 Thread
Sep 2, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #932 of 1,049
Beyer pad part numbers are always prefaced 'EDT..'. Followed by the headphone model number eg EDT990 and finally the material, 'V' for velour, 'S' for 'soft skin' pleather etc. The pleather pad for the DT250 is therefore the EDT250S, velour EDT250V

Hardly rocket science.

Google is your friend but it seems some people are too lazy.

Oct 8, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #934 of 1,049
Got the leather pads and...they seem to be doing exactly the type of "EQ" I wanted (ever-so-slightly elevated 4-6kHz region, 500Hz region attenuated), on top providing slightly better seal and different feel as far as comfort goes.
One specific mod was necessary for optimal performance - cutting away the foam that came with it.

Nov 4, 2018 at 6:44 AM Post #935 of 1,049
I have a pair of DT770 80 Ohm now and in comparison to my DT250 250 Ohm: the DT770 is not as loud on sources without amp (surprisingly) and sound more muffled with less crisp highs. I much preferred my DT250's and I might end up buying another pair.

Jan 2, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #936 of 1,049
I own a pair of DT250's 80 Ohm as my reference headphones. I used to work at my country's Beyerdynamic importer/distributor so for years I had my fair share of testing every new BD Headphones, IEMs etc that came out. I use the DT250's for critical music listening, for fun music listening and I use it for playing my digital piano, and for playing guitar late at home through a digital guitar amp. These DT250's do it all. The DT250's are very neutral an analytic but can also bring out the fun in music.

Just a few hours ago my first dedicated portable DAP arrived (FiiO M6). While i'm writing this i'm listening to some super high res nativeDSD classical and jazz recordings and i'm completely blown away. Not only by the M6, but it is as if my trusty DT250's sound refreshed.. Love it!

Jan 2, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #937 of 1,049
I own a pair of DT250's 80 Ohm as my reference headphones. I used to work at my country's Beyerdynamic importer/distributor so for years I had my fair share of testing every new BD Headphones, IEMs etc that came out. I use the DT250's for critical music listening, for fun music listening and I use it for playing my digital piano, and for playing guitar late at home through a digital guitar amp. These DT250's do it all. The DT250's are very neutral an analytic but can also bring out the fun in music.

Just a few hours ago my first dedicated portable DAP arrived (FiiO M6). While i'm writing this i'm listening to some super high res nativeDSD classical and jazz recordings and i'm completely blown away. Not only by the M6, but it is as if my trusty DT250's sound refreshed.. Love it!
True. These are so highly underrated, it's ridiculous.

The highs are so clear, but so smooth at the same time (250 ohm version), and the whole sound is one of the most natural I've heard, regardless of price (right up there with HD 650).

I would've kept them if I didn't have tinnitus in my right ear (not because the sound is fatiguing my ear, far from it, but the seal itself is making it worse when I put them on) and if the cable wasn't coiled (but that's not a huge problem, since there are straight aftermarket cables I can buy)

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 5:12 AM Post #938 of 1,049
For over 1.5 years, DT-250 are my workhorse in and out of my home studio. Best pair I have ever had, actually now two pairs (one with leather pads, the other with velour). No other headphone held that title for this long and I have tried MANY, even $1000+ models. Sadly though, not everyone is interested in neutrality.

Channel balance mod is a must though, left side is leaking bass even worse than M50x, but it's very easy mod and 100% reversible.

This bag fits DT-250 nicely and provides general level of protection: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Oll...erproof-Protective-Cases-For/32804750400.html

Straight cable is very easy to do, and doesn't require significant investment (cable + plugs, usually about $5 total).

MDR-V6 genuine leather pads will fit DT-250, only the inner foam has to be cut away: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...dr7506_Genuine_Sheepskin_Leather_Earpads.html
This will turn DT-250 into NS10 :beyersmile: not quite pleasant to listen to, but with better seal and very revealing about mid range and bass flaws.

Ear pads can be replaced basically plug-n-play, pop out, pop in, done in 5 seconds, unlike other cans, such as K141 or K240 where it takes even 10 minutes and you're risking pinching your fingers.

Last edited:
May 31, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #941 of 1,049
I also picked up a used pair of the 80 Ohm DT-250 from Amazon for under $100, looked quite new and sound quite good even from an iPhone SE headphone out. Not bad at all!

IMG_9447.jpeg FullSizeRender-2.jpeg

Jun 30, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #942 of 1,049
Someone in this thread mentioned that his headset was bass light.
That is obviously a personal appreciation but I do think the headsets (DT280/DT29x) have a different frequency response from the headphones (DT250/DT252).
I quote from the Beyerdynamic DT250 USer Manual:

"
Headphone
Frequency response . . . . . . . . . . 10 - 30,000 Hz
(for headsets optimised for highest
intelligibility of speech)
"

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #943 of 1,049
Someone in this thread mentioned that his headset was bass light.
That is obviously a personal appreciation but I do think the headsets (DT280/DT29x) have a different frequency response form the headphones (DT250/DT252).
I quote from the Beyerdynamic DT250 USer Manual:

"
Headphone
Frequency response . . . . . . . . . . 10 - 30,000 Hz
(for headsets optimised for highest
intelligibility of speech)
"
It definitely isn't bass light, it's heavier in bass than the HD 650 for example.

Jul 5, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #944 of 1,049
Bought some dt250 80ohms on OXL for £55 - supposedly unused present.Got them and the earpads looked new,but they have a sunbleached discolouration on one side.Thought about trying to return them but decided to at least try them out.
Wow - sound is probably what I have been looking for in a closed back without knowing.Don't know if I am crazy but am using these now rather than my Shure srh1540's

Jul 16, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #945 of 1,049
Since my last post been using these headphones every day for the past 2 weeks.Still can't believe the detail of sound for the price.I use flac files and am hearing things I have never picked up on before.Just found a pair of the 250ohm nearly new for 80 euros so I can compare the sound with the 80 ohms.My Shure 1540's are being sold.No disrespect to the Shures, but I am just finding the sound of the dt250's more to my liking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back