The Beyerdynamic DT250 Thread
Sep 12, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #706 of 1,049
Exactly: the treble on the DT250 is not particularly prominent, but it is there, and it is detailed. It doesn't use a treble spike to create the (artificial) impression of hyper-detailed sound.

Simply put if you want to hear the true sound, DT250 gets the job done.

Sep 12, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #707 of 1,049
The DT250 is not primarily a consumer product, but a tool to allow broadcasters to do their job as well as possible. Hence it is robust, comfortable, easily serviceable and offers a neutral, accurate tonal balance. It needs a bit of power, as it's designed to work with studio equipment.

The cable connector could be improved, though. A mini-XLR would be much better!

Sep 12, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #708 of 1,049
for me the perfect closed Beyer Headphone would be: DT250 driver and sound, rest from DT770 (which i find to be the best affordable closed headphone construction-wise, not sound-wise) but with the mini-XLR plug

Sep 12, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #709 of 1,049
  for me the perfect closed Beyer Headphone would be: DT250 driver and sound, rest from DT770 (which i find to be the best affordable closed headphone construction-wise, not sound-wise) but with the mini-XLR plug

Yeah, the DT770 is much more comfortable. (Not that the DT250 is uncomfortable - the DT770 is just more luxurious, I suppose)

I think you can install the DT770 leather headband on a DT250, but I doubt you can make the ear pads fit.

Sep 12, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #713 of 1,049
So basically people like these because they lean towards the Sennheiser sound but don't like Beyers in general?

that might be an over generalization, but I'd wager that those that really enjoy the other beyer flagships won't care for the DT250 sound. (or what used to be the other flagships - phones that cost more than a thousand USD are so far off my radar they don't exist)

horses for courses, though - despite its strengths, I dislike the DT250 for gaming. most game audio is mixed with the low end ridiculously hot, and I much prefer my Senn PC360s there (they're open, and cooler on my ears, too)

funny enough, the PC360 is pretty bright for a Sennheiser.

I think I would like it too except for the channel balance issue. I take it your one is not affected. BTW have you tried them with tubes?

I thought I had a channel imbalance in one pair, and the seller swapped them at no cost. As I recall there was a manufacturing issue that was fixed (nearly 6 years ago)

buy from some place that specializes in audio (or hell, from Amazon) and they will take care of you.

they still sell these for studio and broadcast use - you can bet that market would raise hell if there were still massive problems.

Sep 13, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #714 of 1,049
that might be an over generalization, but I'd wager that those that really enjoy the other beyer flagships won't care for the DT250 sound. (or what used to be the other flagships - phones that cost more than a thousand USD are so far off my radar they don't exist)

I don't think there are many dynamic flagships over $1000, only the HD800 comes to my mind. The T1 was recently cut to $700 and the T90 went to an amazing €325 on Amazon.fr.  There are also more tube amps out there that are not too expensive and thicken out the Beyer sound. So it's worth keeping track, especially if you're looking for a decent upgrade. 

Sep 13, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #715 of 1,049
  I don't think there are many dynamic flagships over $1000, only the HD800 comes to my mind. The T1 was recently cut to $700 and the T90 went to an amazing €325 on Amazon.fr.  There are also more tube amps out there that are not too expensive and thicken out the Beyer sound. So it's worth keeping track, especially if you're looking for a decent upgrade. 

Thanks, but not really looking - I like having the same sound signature at home and at work too much.

Sep 17, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #716 of 1,049
"too much treble energy ruins a headphone - followed by excessive bass I suppose, but the tolerance for excessive bass is much higher"

I find this insight very interesting, especially the tolerance part, and I agree with it. 
It helped me understand why I'm liking the sound signature of dt250, or probably
more of why I don't like many other headphones around this price range. Thank you!

Sep 19, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #717 of 1,049
Couple of words about metal music + Beyerdynamic DT250. (Summary on impressions on metal for 47 headphones is here http://www.head-fi.org/t/715478/headphones-for-metal-music-ultimate-solution)

Beyerdynamic DT250
Professional cans with very special, extremely flat character. It was interesting to try such a device on metal.
When I listen to 250, I can not shake the feeling that I listen to E-MU 0404 (regardless of amp/DAC I used). Unforgettable dry taste.

Bass at 250 is quite good, not elevated, in general, sufficient for metal. Mids are nice and smooth. Tops with a slight touch of "darkness". Chamber soundstage. On high-speed genres tend to smooth out attacks - perhaps the most conspicuous of technical problems.

Positive:
Black: Wow, this is something there. Does not involves as Beyerdynamic 770 or V-Moda M-100, but detached, mechanistic, darkish interpretation makes the horror to move somewhere in the depths of the body. Impressive.
Death: Shivers the size of a mouse are crawling on my back...

Negative:
Alternative: It is acceptable in terms of tonal balance (admittable bass volume, mids and hight are okay). But comrades 250 are very detached. No emotional response. All the time I want to add volume, but does not help anyway.
Industrial: No core competence - 250 does not have distinct sub-bass. Bass thumps, but to no avail.
Power: Genre is supposed to be funny, entertaining. And here, as if the school teacher of music is back. With the same zeal and drive.
Heavy Metal: Stressed, radically anti-involving performance. Highs and mids are gray, no fun on bass.  
Grindcore: Soft attacks, as if the sounds are rounded. Not a problem for a slower subgenres, but here it is really disturbing.

Grand total. Cans for fans of a specific "professional", "flat" sound. Either you like them and then it's possible to throw on them any genre you can think about. Or do not like, so behold the results of my review.

Sep 19, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #718 of 1,049
^ as a headphone designed for professional use. DT-250 sounds ok regardless of the genre you throw at it. It just doesn't give you the wow factor compared to a phone designed to a specific/few genres. 

Sep 19, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #719 of 1,049
Random question - what are the chances that the DT-250 will be discontinued in our lifetimes?  Does such a staple studio headphone ever get discontinued?  Thanks for any insight you can share.

Sep 19, 2014 at 6:40 AM Post #720 of 1,049
Well I don't think I've seen Beyerdynamic with a no-nonsense design compact Tesla model equivalent... yet.

I think they did recently retire the DT48, but that model is quite a bit older.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back