The Beyerdynamic DT250 Thread
Jun 10, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #242 of 1,049
Hi again. Sorry for the delay- in weekend mode :wink:

Quote:
The 150s have a mid-bass hump to me which with certain amps and material is pretty annoying. Interestingly, to my ears, they almost sound better out of less powerful amps (Slee Voyager) and are certainly more engaging from that portable amp than the 250s. Hence my Q on the Neco. 

Overall the 250s are a class above in balance, imaging and coherence. Vocals are excellent!

What are you thoughts?

I only had a brief time with the 250's before they stopped working so have very limited comparisons to the 150. As regards the 150's bass, I find it nicely present but also a little soft. They are quite a bit more efficient (on the volume control) than the 250's despite being 97dB against 100dB. Go figure:wink:

The thing that immediately struck about the 250's was a glorious sense of flatness, similar to studio active monitors (speakers). They draw you into the music. The 150's aren't quite the same in that respect.

The 150's biggest party trick (and I'm not sure whether the 250s do it as successfully from memory) is a real sense of three-dimensionality with instruments in their own space. It's not that expansive but creates a very authentic space, it seems. I was listening to various cans out of my Berning tube amp last night. This amp is similar to the 150 in that it creates this three-dimensional space. Matching both items together was particularly spectacular, showing up more expensive cans.

A while ago over on the Sure 1840 thread, I made a point that the 1840's soundstage seemed boringly flat. It didn't get much agreement at the time but was made in direct comparison to the DT-150's soundstage. Not a can that many people have perhaps.

On the flipside, in comparison to my Sig Pros and orthos, I found the 150's upper frequencies to be not quite right, although I cannot say why.

I wonder how the 100 velours might change all the above?

would you please be kind enough to post a few comments on the HE500 from a 250-250 listener's p.o.v? I am toying with a big investment in something open backed... hd800/he500/T1 are all on my shortlist.

I get backache within minutes of wearing the 500's and have to take pain-killers, so headtime has been limited. Their main strength for me has been a wonderfully airy and out of head stage that instantly brings a smile. Mid range is good too and I don't find them too bright with the velours. They are regrettably for sale, if anyone is interested. Only a few hours headtime and drivers are closely matched (measured).

The 150s isolation is a 1-2 steps above the 250s. The 250s' isolation was its biggest disappointment to me (I use pleather by choice).

Could you wear the 150's out and about though, especially in London (without being mistaken for a martian)?

I am somewhat of a hoarder 
rolleyes.gif

Me too, big time. From a psychological standpoint, it probably has something to do with wanting to surround with stuff in order to create a sense of security and protection. 

beerchug.gif

Jun 10, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #243 of 1,049

I wonder how the 100 velours might change all the above?

I've read a wide variety of responses to that experiment e.g. smaller soundstage, tighter bass. I'm a pleather man myself for isolation. I have worn the 150s out and about... once!! Isolation is rather useful at home too... hence the closed back inventory.

Quote:
I get backache within minutes of wearing the 500's and have to take pain-killers, so headtime has been limited. Their main strength for me has been a wonderfully airy and out of head stage that instantly brings a smile. Mid range is good too and I don't find them too bright with the velours. They are regrettably for sale, if anyone is interested. Only a few hours headtime and drivers are closely matched (measured).

I will PM you.

I find hoarding habits vary by type of possession. Music gear and cans are my main sin... I can throw or give away pretty much anything  else.... hmmmmm. On the surface its resistance to taking a 'loss' and then buying the same thing back again later... underneath, I'm sure all that stuff you mentioned is relevant to some degree.
confused_face(1).gif
. In the case of my HD250s, they would be less easy to replace as now discontinued :wink:.

Best

James

Jun 12, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #244 of 1,049
Scratch all that about op amps... I got someone to blind test me and all my reports were wrong... Went back to stock OP275 op-amp in NG27.

Again tried putting 2x LT1363 opamps in my old beaten up USB DAC/AMP. It's a HA INFO NG 27 which I haven't used since I got my FiiO E7.

Soundstage of my DT250-80s is opened up and bass has a bit more of a "cinema" punchiness to it which gives them them a more enveloping/fun listen for me not to . It's really giving a new dimension to music that I've heard times before. 

Anyway, I'm not completely sure if it's just in my head, so just wanted to put this out here. Has anybody else have a similar experience with the LT1363/1364 op amps paired up with their DT250s?

From what I've read, it seems the NG27 isn't very highly regarded. I've also got an Audinst HUD-MX1. I suppose the HUD-MX1 should technically be the best DAC/AMP out of the three I own? (NG27, E7, HUD-MX1)

A couple of weeks ago, I complained that the DT250-80s were too boring for my tastes. Now, I believe I have found the problem. I get the feeling that my FiiO E7 has been letting me down...

Jun 16, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #245 of 1,049
Got my replacement pair of DT250s after the previous pair had one channel cut out.

Given them around 20 hrs burn in and they seem to have a slight bump in the upper mids, lower treble, making it a bit harsh and fatiguing. Maybe I'm just imagining it but they don't sound as nice as the previous pair did.

Will re-evaluate after a few more days though.
cool.gif

Jun 17, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #248 of 1,049

Quote:

Is it a peak about the 4000Hz region? 

Not sure where it is exactly, possibly upper mid area. They just seem more constrained and fatiguing than the first pair did. Less 'flat' response, subjectively.

Is this the 80 ohm version? The upper mids are a little more bumped on my past 80 ohm version vs the 250 ohm model

Nope, it's the same as the previous pair- 250 ohm.

Hopefully they'll improve a bit with more time .:wink:

Jun 17, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #249 of 1,049
Quote:
Is it a peak about the 4000Hz region? If the DT250-250 doesn't have it I just might buy one to upgrade from my DT250-80s.

I had the 80ohm version, and if memory serves me, the peak was lower....around 1.5k or so. It was fairly noticeable on mine when comparing to the k240DF that was my reference at the time....those have a little smoother mids. 

Jun 18, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #250 of 1,049
yes the 80 ohm versions peak was definitely lower than 4k. By the way, I used to use linux with my dt250-250 and the area around 4k was smoother using Linux than foobar on windows for example. Did you happen to switch your OS or media player since your last 250 ohm dt250? 

Jul 1, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #253 of 1,049
Bought ATH-W1000X last week, but unfortunately they don't isolate enough sometimes. Ordered DT250-250s yesterday. Maybe they will be a sort of compromise between the W1000X and DT250-80s that I've been searching for. (note: was also considering the Sony MDR-Z1000 but I couldn't find too much information about these) Not to mention that the W1000X's cups are made of wood - looks really nice, but sometimes I'm scared I might accidentally scratch them on something.

edit: The 250 ohm version definitely seems to have more treble than the 80 ohm version. Also, I noticed that the new headband is a bit tighter than the one on my old DT250-80.

I wonder if the sound of the DT250-250 will change through time. Hard to say which I like more at the moment. The DT250-80 sounds more intimate and fun (due to more forward mids for vocals and bass). Yup, I think I do like the darker sound of the DT250-80 for the moment.

Driven directly through my Audinst HUD-MX1.

Jul 6, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #254 of 1,049
A little bump.

Just wondering if there's anyone here who has tried both the DT250-250 and DT250-80 and prefers the 80ohm version due to it's sound? (e.g. not someone who believes that the 80ohm version has the "same" sound quality as the 250ohm version but is easier to drive)

Jul 6, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #255 of 1,049
I have tried both but preferred the 250 Ohm version. The 80 Ohm version is not bad by any stretch of the imagination but I preferred the more subjectively flat presentation of the 250 Ohm version with the more prominent treble. Also, I feel that the 250 Ohm version has a nice sub-bass response, while the 80 Ohm version obscures its sub bass a little by the mid-bass hump that it has.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back