The Beyerdynamic DT250 Thread
May 27, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #211 of 1,049
Fair enough :) Perhaps one day you can audition them again, I really don't find them bassy at all. They are certainly not bass-shy either, and there is a fair amount of authority in the bass, but I wouldn't call it exaggerated or bloated. 
Quote:
Don't know what to tell you then my friend, the 250Ohm pair I heard was bassy like the 80Ohm, just not as much.

May 28, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #212 of 1,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescodway /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Being relatively small and light, they are 'portable' but IMHO need a desktop amp to sound convincing. My Graham Slee voyager is excellent with HD25, DT150 and SRH840/940 but underwhelming with the DT250-250. I'd be interested in anybody's experience of the voyager/DT250-80. More importantly, isolation, even with pleather, is pretty mediocre. I would personally not use them out and about.

Came across this post from earlier in the thread and just checking I understand correctly.  It's the DT250/ 250 that you saying has poor isolation outside?  That would be a deal breaker for me if true.  

May 28, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #213 of 1,049
It has pretty average isolation, I'd say. When out and about, I find them to isolate enough on the streets but not enough for comfortable listening while commuting in a loud/crowded bus/train. They are not meant to be portable headphones, so their isolation is not their biggest design goal.
Quote:

Came across this post from earlier in the thread and just checking I understand correctly.  It's the DT250/ 250 that you saying has poor isolation outside?  That would be a deal breaker for me if true.  

May 29, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #214 of 1,049
Well, I'm taking a punt on these anyway just to satisfy curiosity 
normal_smile .gif
 .  Don't use public transport much- I was thinking more about sitting in the park and some traffic noise. 

I like what you've done to the (damn) coiled cable. The only downside is possibly your right ear might feel the weight of the neutrik socket because the cable isn't long enough for it to be supported by a pocket or the floor?

Has anyone tried opening up the Beyer plug and soldering a cable straight into it?   Edit: just noticed the DT250 plug is different to the DT150 one pictured but assume they are similar.

Looking at that sellers selection of cases, I guess you ordered the Beyer 770, 880, 990 model?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251060441488?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_6251wt_913

2.jpg

beerchug.gif

May 29, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #215 of 1,049
Quote:
I like what you've done to the (damn) coiled cable. The only downside is possibly your right ear might feel the weight of the neutrik socket because the cable isn't long enough for it to be supported by a pocket or the floor?

I have found that this solution, along with a reasonably compact cable like the Prolink Classic, is actually far lighter than the coiled cable... I never experienced feeling the weight of the cable on my ear, unlike with the coiled cable, which has a considerable and noticeable amount of weight.

Quote:
Has anyone tried opening up the Beyer plug and soldering a cable straight into it?

This was actually what I initially wanted to do with the cable and it is possible, but you'd need a rather small socket for it to fit in the plug/enclosure. It would also require some guesswork with regards to what cable goes where. Ultimately, I decided to go with the Neutrik socket because it is such an easy solution to replace/fix if it ever starts to act up... All I need to do is chop off the bit with the Neutrik socket and attach another socket in its place.  On the other hand, the modded Beyer plug would most likely have to be replaced entirely if it ever broke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainFood /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Looking at that sellers selection of cases, I guess you ordered the Beyer 770, 880, 990 model?

No, that one is actually too large. The one I ordered was intended for the Sennheiser HD448 and the DT250 fits very well.

May 29, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #216 of 1,049
Actually, I think I was thinking more about IEMs when there is any kind of weight hanging down- the ear picks it up easily.  Of course, these are definitely not IEM's :wink:

Thanks for the info.

They should be here tomorrow.

May 30, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #217 of 1,049
May 31, 2012 at 8:30 AM Post #219 of 1,049
Quote:
Indeed, this is one way of getting a straight cable, but my way is much cheaper :) 

Sure, 21 euros plus shipping cheaper, but not everyone will want to introduce an additional break/ connection into the signal path .
normal_smile .gif

Anyhow, mine arrived today and they sound great......into the right channel only, so back they go 
triportsad.gif

Buildwise, they look noticeably less substantial than the DT150's (at least the cups) but much more suitable for taking outside- unless you want to look like an alien
tongue.gif
 .  I definitely prefer the velour to the 150's pleather.

The 250's plug has no screw holding the two halves together.  It also has one more pin than the 150's and is smaller, so they are not interchangeable. I'm wondering now exactly what plug the K 190.00 cable, I linked to previously, comes with.

May 31, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #223 of 1,049
I'm playing some mono files (Beatles-Revolver) into the one working channel and it sounds pleasant enough :wink:  But it makes you realise how essential it is to have 2 channels is with headphones.  With speakers, you could easily enjoy mono into one speaker. .  

I guess it could just as easily be a loose connection in the coiled cable as a problem with the headphone- but I have no way of testing that out.   

I like the fit of the DT-250- and thankfully the cups cover my ears with a good seal. Much nice than the larger cups of the 150's !

Replacement should get here next week.

Jun 1, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #225 of 1,049
Not sure if I'm going nuts, or if it's just because I haven't tried using them in a while, but besides sounding more open, do the Koss Porta Pros have a much wider soundstage and layering than the DT250s? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back