The Beyerdynamic DT250 Thread
May 22, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #196 of 1,049
Quote:

Yeah but at £25 delivered, I might just be best off selling the 150's, which are almost brand new.
normal_smile%20.gif

It's up to you but I tell ya, the pads make a huuuge difference

May 22, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #198 of 1,049
Quote:
It's up to you but I tell ya, the pads make a huuuge difference

Just one more question (and apologies for veering off topic).  How far do the 100 velour pads improve on the pleather 150 pad, comfortwise?  Considering they are the same rectangular shape, maybe not much of an improvement?

TIA

May 23, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #200 of 1,049
Quote:
hmm same comfort to me. It just depends on whether you find velour or pleather more comfy but the clamping is the same :)

No problem at all with clamping on my small head.  But, when wearing the 150's, I find myself often moving the pads a few mm's around my ears or they start to feel sticky and uncomfortable, although it doesn't stop me from wearing them.  Just wondering if that's due only to it being pleather or also because of the unusual rectangular shape? The 100 velours are the same shape of course :wink:.

May 25, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #202 of 1,049
Lets get back to the DT250 :)

Have people been modding these in any way? I modded mine slightly by cutting the coiled cable and attaching a female mini-jack socket. Obviously, this mod does not affect the sound in any way. Are there any other mods out there that people have been trying out?

May 25, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #203 of 1,049
Opening up the cup and applying dynamat to the back of the driver and stuff acoustic fiber in the cup help to tighten the bass and tone down it's punch. The D250/80Ohm in stock form is far too boomy and congested, but doing these mods really help to get that bass under control. The detail steps up a bit, treble is clearer, and mids are not squished.

Quote:
Lets get back to the DT250 :)

Have people been modding these in any way? I modded mine slightly by cutting the coiled cable and attaching a female mini-jack socket. Obviously, this mod does not affect the sound in any way. Are there any other mods out there that people have been trying out?

May 26, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #204 of 1,049
Interesting. This does indeed seem like a nice mod for the 80 Ohm version owners. I don't think the 250 Ohm version would need it though.
Quote:
Opening up the cup and applying dynamat to the back of the driver and stuff acoustic fiber in the cup help to tighten the bass and tone down it's punch. The D250/80Ohm in stock form is far too boomy and congested, but doing these mods really help to get that bass under control. The detail steps up a bit, treble is clearer, and mids are not squished.

May 26, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #205 of 1,049
I've heard the 250Ohm briefly at a guitar center and it sounded similar to the 80Ohm. It was still bassy and congested sounding, but was more neutral.

May 26, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #206 of 1,049
I haven't heard the 80 but the 250 once run in and with a decent amp sounds less congested than hd650 to my ears... it is worth persevering with. With SRH940, HD250, HD25 and DT48, it is a bone fide classic and a bargain for the price. Pretty well balanced, a good all rounder.

Best

James

May 26, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #207 of 1,049
Quote:
I've heard the 250Ohm briefly at a guitar center and it sounded similar to the 80Ohm. It was still bassy and congested sounding, but was more neutral.

Wrong. Its not bassy by any stretch of the animation. It is 'congested sounding' only if you are used to the reverb-laden sound of the DT700 series, but IMO it sounds more natural this way, and I know I'm not the only one who thinks this way. The DT700 series does have great soundsage but it is a fake soundstage IMO, whereas the DT250's soundstage is more honest and headphone-like. I certainly do enjoy the exagerrated soundstage of my DT990 when I'm playing games on my XBOX360, but when listening to music, I'd choose the DT250 over it any day.

May 26, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #208 of 1,049
I don't know about anyone else but I have yet to hear any headphone more musically satisfying than my dt250-250 :) Although these cans may not be the most detailed thing in the world, it is also very sensitive to upstream components (amps, dacs, and even the media player being used).

May 26, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #209 of 1,049
Don't know what to tell you then my friend, the 250Ohm pair I heard was bassy like the 80Ohm, just not as much.

Quote:
Wrong. Its not bassy by any stretch of the animation. It is 'congested sounding' only if you are used to the reverb-laden sound of the DT700 series, but IMO it sounds more natural this way, and I know I'm not the only one who thinks this way. The DT700 series does have great soundsage but it is a fake soundstage IMO, whereas the DT250's soundstage is more honest and headphone-like. I certainly do enjoy the exagerrated soundstage of my DT990 when I'm playing games on my XBOX360, but when listening to music, I'd choose the DT250 over it any day.

May 27, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #210 of 1,049
Maybe it was the specific amps you used or maybe there are factory variations because having owned them both and listening to them side by side, the 80 ohm version sounds like it has about 5db more midbass when volume is matched in the vocal region.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back