The best portable amp
May 18, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #61 of 74

Quote:
Hi Buddy...
I do not know where you got your info regarding the SR-71Bs voltage swing capability or the current handling, but as far as I know there is no portable amp with higher battery voltage
& current that can do what the SR-71B does, specially in balanced mode, when you take the size of the amp into consideration.
Ray Samuels

At the end of the day, its just the music. That's why I'm enjoying HeadFi. Not who's got the strongest or the biggest...

May 18, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #62 of 74

Quote:
At the end of the day, its just the music. That's why I'm enjoying HeadFi. Not who's got the strongest or the biggest...

Thats your POV, but there are a lot of people on Head-Fi who want to drive big cans with (increasingly tiny) portable amps. Add that Ray is very gung-ho in his marketing blurb for the SR71B and wasnt about to be upstaged by the Chinese with a much cheaper amp  - forget the music, this clearly touched a nerve.

May 18, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #64 of 74

Quote:
Dr Xins Super Macro IV > ALL

This thread is about the BEST, not the butt-ugliest, portable amp. 
tongue.gif

The only threads I have read about Dr Xins amps were from people wondering where their amp was - happy to hear that you have yours.

May 19, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #65 of 74

Quote:
This thread is about the BEST, not the butt-ugliest, portable amp. 
tongue.gif

The only threads I have read about Dr Xins amps were from people wondering where their amp was - happy to hear that you have yours.

lol

Heard Xin amps are amazingly warm, like a TTVJ slim on steroids.

Jun 5, 2011 at 5:17 AM Post #67 of 74
I would definitely trust Ray's amps - I have the SR-71A and am blown away. Am soon to get the less portable HR-2 and am expecting to be knocked out soon...

Jun 8, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #68 of 74
I use the LCD2s w/ the ALO audio cable, balanced to the SR-71Bs and then balanced again to a Cambridge 840c.  There is a significant difference in soundstaging and clarity compared to running the entire signal chain in single-ended mode.

Aug 25, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #70 of 74
Would the CLAS + SR-71B be a good setup for balanced output with CIEMs? Apart from the Centrance M8 (still not fully ready for shipping) and the ALO Mx3-b+ (still having the hiss issue with IEMs according to ALO themselves) I do not see any other alternative. 
Thanks!

Aug 25, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #72 of 74
Yes a bit old indeed :)
Well have been reading many posts here and it seems the these two make a good setup; I look for a long battery life and a balanced output - might also use it with other headphones later.
The Mk3 has a goos battery life too but apparently still gets the hiss so I prefer to avoid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back