the best portable amp/dac for my ATH-ES10
Apr 21, 2011 at 2:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

bodhi

New Head-Fier
Just ordered a pair of ATH-ES10. While waiting for them to arrive thought I would pick out a good matching portable amp/dac, my iphone will be acting as the source. Rounded up some candidates, but choosing is a nightmare (couldn't find a comparison review). The options are TTVJ slim, RSA Predator, iBasso D12, Leckerton Audio UHA-6S.

Please feed me some thoughts and experience to make a good, fact based judgement.

Apr 23, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #2 of 8
I use my ES-10's with Ray Samuels protector and I had them balanced with Moon Audio's blue dragon cable. It really helped tame the ES-10's and made them a little less congested and widened the soundstage. I never tried them single ended but I'm sure the predator or the shadow if you don't need the dac will be a great pairing. Ray Samuels' signature warm sound will combine great with the ES-10's. Enjoy:)

Apr 24, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #3 of 8
ALO MKII, iBasso D6, XM6, Pico and RSA Mustang P51.

Apr 26, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #4 of 8
Guys, first thanks for the feeds. 
Secondly, I think I got the idea of the DAC/amp portables somewhat wrong, or at least the part of using them with an ipod/iphone. Can I take the digital signal out of my iphone via a LOD and into the DAC/amp for conversion and amplification. Or the LODs are only there for taking the analog signal prior of the internal amplification?

Apr 26, 2011 at 7:37 AM Post #7 of 8

I *think* the only portable DAC that will work is the AlgoRhythm Solo; most of the other portable USB DACs don't have iPod/iPhone support if I've understood this correctly, i.e. they cannot take a digital output from the iPod.

Headfonia have a review of it, plus there is a video review posted on the Head-Fi home page.

Fostex have a combined unit (HP-P1) that I think is just shipping, at least in Japan.

Quote:
Just ordered a pair of ATH-ES10. While waiting for them to arrive thought I would pick out a good matching portable amp/dac, my iphone will be acting as the source. Rounded up some candidates, but choosing is a nightmare (couldn't find a comparison review). The options are TTVJ slim, RSA Predator, iBasso D12, Leckerton Audio UHA-6S.

Please feed me some thoughts and experience to make a good, fact based judgement.

Apr 26, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #8 of 8
AlgoRhythm Solo line out balanced to RSA protector or SR71B will be better, though these cans work fine without amp at all.

Quote:
I *think* the only portable DAC that will work is the AlgoRhythm Solo; most of the other portable USB DACs don't have iPod/iPhone support if I've understood this correctly, i.e. they cannot take a digital output from the iPod.

Headfonia have a review of it, plus there is a video review posted on the Head-Fi home page.

Fostex have a combined unit (HP-P1) that I think is just shipping, at least in Japan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back