The BEST-LOOKING Headphones
Mar 26, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #274 of 1,354
Don't fret, they're probably the most controversial high end headphones out there... almost entirely due to fit. When they were new, you could only buy them directly from Sony, and that required a tailoring to fit your head... specifically your head. Even after that, they had material issues. jjcha's headband snapped once under normal usage, and he wasn't one to ever mistreat a headphone. Carbon fiber doesn't like to be bent that way, I guess? I dunno.

Quote:
Oh my god, those are amazing. How have I not seen these before?! *checks price* Oh.

Mar 27, 2011 at 4:42 AM Post #275 of 1,354
The Sony Qualia does indeed need careful handling.  I am lucky that my pair was purchased from yahoo.co.jp so
the size of this Qualia fits
very well and as I mentioned earlier if you can get a good sweetspot, the sound is like magic   especially with vocal music.  I do handle with care because the headband may cost around 700$ to replace so in this
meeting very few had a chance to listen to the Qualia.  May be more can listen in a smaller group of Thai head-fiers.

Mar 27, 2011 at 4:50 AM Post #276 of 1,354
I'm still trying to buy a pair.  :frowning2:

It is one of the most difficult pair to get because I think less than 250 pairs were made.  Their drivers are also
fragile so some of the units may have to use the O2 driver, not the original membrane.  So finding the one
with the true membrane is more difficult. However when you get a good one, some said that it is much better than
the O2mkI : the sound more natural, bigger soundstage and again in some music, the sound is very seducing so that
for some , they love the SR Omega much more than the O2mkI even when driving the SR Omega with a
less efficient amplifier.  Here is the picture to compare the O2 and the SR Omega driver

Mar 27, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #278 of 1,354
Dear Spritzer,
   thanks for the correction of the total number.  It should be 550  but no one know how many with the original driver.
   I would not have bought this pair if I had not consulted Spritzer first  because I was  not sure whether it was the
original driver or not.  I have full trust in the seller,  again both of the buyer and seller might not know whether it's
the original one or not.  Could you explain the differences in the driver between O2 and SR Omega?

Mar 28, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #279 of 1,354
I just want to buy a STAX shell and put some High quality drivers in it just for the looks. They just look so damn classy, granted I have never herd a STAX and that's probably a good thing as I'm lamenting over a buy I may be or not be doing soon D:

Mar 28, 2011 at 8:04 AM Post #280 of 1,354
My favorite looking headphones are the bloodwood Beyers from Headphile. It's the pair to the right. Think DT880 600 Ohm with bloodwood...
ph34r.gif

Mar 28, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #282 of 1,354

Quote:
Dear Spritzer,
   thanks for the correction of the total number.  It should be 550  but no one know how many with the original driver.
   I would not have bought this pair if I had not consulted Spritzer first  because I was  not sure whether it was the
original driver or not.  I have full trust in the seller,  again both of the buyer and seller might not know whether it's
the original one or not.  Could you explain the differences in the driver between O2 and SR Omega?

The SR-Omega and SR-007 drivers couldn't be more different.  The SR-Omega uses gold plated copper mesh for the electrodes which are supported by a resin frame (the cartwheel you can see from the outside).  The diaphragm is held in place with two brass rings and ditto for the dust covers.  The whole driver is then stacked inside a resin frame inside the housing which is then sealed with screws.  The driver is one of the largest headphone drivers ever made, measuring approx 90mm across. 

The SR-007 drivers use advanced PCB material for the stators and the whole assembly with dust covers and all is placed inside a very stiff resin shell.  The driver is much smaller than the SR-Omega unit and on top of that it is only partially open to facilitate airdamping of the diaphragm.  The SR-007 driver is clearly cheaper to make but Stax instead spent the money on a better housing since the one used on the SR-Omega is a massive letdown.  My nickname for it is the "tin can" since the aluminum is less than 1mm thick and that's why the sound suffers.  Push the drivers too hard and the vibration generated has nowhere to go.  It's on my to-do list to design and make a CNC housing for the SR-Omega in a similar fashion to the SR-007 and SR-009. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back