The BEST-LOOKING Headphones
Mar 21, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #842 of 1,354
No, it's a Z50RP.

Besides, I rather think the helmet matches the phaser.

Of course my inner nerd thinks of Star Trek whenever phaser is mentioned :D

Mar 21, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #843 of 1,354

God, that looks archaic, and not in a good way. Reminds me of a lot of cheap consumer crap from the 90's and early 2000's.

Doesn't help that it's a T50RP...

No, it's a Z50RP.

Besides, I rather think the helmet matches the phaser.

Quote:
Don't underestimate this. It's even better than MDP or Alpha Dog.

A T50RP is still a T50RP, no matter how much you dress it up, and all mods of the T50RP still have the inherent flaws of its driver. Square planar membranes don't work well and no amount of damping can change that.

But this thread is about looks, not sound, and the first thing I think of when I see that silver paint is the thousands of cheapie made-in-china garbage that was around in the 90's and early 2000's. The headband looks stupid, too.

Mar 21, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #844 of 1,354
I'm usually not all about the ultra-modern look but the Superlux 681 Evo look so sleek and sexy, and they probably deserved a lead role in Tron: Legacy.  Simply talking bout looks though, not SQ or build quality.

Also, the retro Senn Momentum (Over-Ear), HD 800 and Philips Fidelio X1

Mar 21, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #845 of 1,354
A T50RP is still a T50RP, no matter how much you dress it up, and all mods of the T50RP still have the inherent flaws of its driver. Square planar membranes don't work well and no amount of damping can change that.

But this thread is about looks, not sound, and the first thing I think of when I see that silver paint is the thousands of cheapie made-in-china garbage that was around in the 90's and early 2000's. The headband looks stupid, too.

It's meant to go with a MacBook, so I think it'll be a suitably classy match.

The pilot pad does look silly, but it's mondo comfortable.

ZMF is a killer mod, but you welcome to stay close-minded. No way I can argue with that.

Mar 21, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #846 of 1,354

It's meant to go with a MacBook, so I think it'll be a suitably classy match.

The pilot pad does look silly, but it's mondo comfortable.

ZMF is a killer mod, but you welcome to stay close-minded. No way I can argue with that.

It doesn't even come close to matching the look of a Mac. Macs are simple, sleek, and streamlined. The T50RP is clunky, utilitarian, and old looking. 

I'll bet it is comfortable. It still looks stupid. This thread is about looks, not comfort or sound, and while I agree that most modded T50RPs sound wildly superior to the stock headphone, every single T50RP mod has poor treble because of the modal behavior of the driver. You show me something that fixes that and then we'll talk.

Mar 21, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #847 of 1,354
takato14 said:
. This thread is about looks, not comfort or sound, and while I agree that most modded T50RPs sound wildly superior to the stock headphone, every single T50RP mod has poor treble because of the modal behavior of the driver. You show me something that fixes that and then we'll talk.

Actually, the treble extension is very impressive, whilst staying gentle. That's why ZMF is so well-suited to vocals. The color looks very nice, but I don't expect agreement about sensuous matters.

Mar 21, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #848 of 1,354

takato14 said:
[url="/t/533368/the-best-looking-headphones/840#post_10383564]/img/forum/go_quote.gif[/url]

This thread is about looks, not comfort or sound, and while I agree that most modded T50RPs sound wildly superior to the stock headphone, every single T50RP mod has poor treble because of the modal behavior of the driver. You show me something that fixes that and then we'll talk.

Actually, the treble extension is very impressive, whilst staying gentle. That's why ZMF is so well-suited to vocals. The color looks very nice, but I don't expect agreement about sensuous matters.

Good treble extension is not a difficult trait to accomplish; basically what you're trying to say is that quality == quantity. The T50RP's driver geometry causes nasty modal breakup, resulting in treble that sounds hot, hashy, grainy and etched. Not excessively so, but it's there and it doesn't sound natural at all.

Mar 21, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #849 of 1,354
Sometimes utilitarian looks good to people. I for one like the look of the Stax Lambda series (except in that brown lol). Kinda how a Land Rover Defender looks good and so does a Ferrari 458, just in their own ways.

Mar 21, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #850 of 1,354
Sometimes utilitarian looks good to people. I for one like the look of the Stax Lambda series (except in that brown lol). Kinda how a Land Rover Defender looks good and so does a Ferrari 458, just in their own ways.

I love utilitarian when it's done right. 

Just look at the Pioneer Monitor 10-II: 

\

Or the Yamaha YH-5m:

Even the Sony DR-Z7 is pretty industrial looking.

And yeah, the Lambdas are pretty too.

Mar 21, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #852 of 1,354
That Yamaha looks like a precision instrument. Me likey

Quite. It looks amazing.

The sound? Well... at least it makes noise when you plug something into it. It's really just suitable as a collector's item.

Mar 21, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #854 of 1,354
  That Yamaha looks like a machine that'd be used for a sleep study. No thank you.

It's more orgasmic when you realize that almost every single solitary piece of it is metal.

Mar 21, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #855 of 1,354
  It's more orgasmic when you realize that almost every single solitary piece of it is metal.

Nnnno, just made me think it's even more superfluous. Like a big giant rig that doesn't do anything beyond jam IEMs into you. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back