The BEST-LOOKING Headphones
Feb 23, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #736 of 1,354

I really don't see why people hate the Abyss. I love the looks and the build is just orgasmic. 

It's just that big goofy square thing. In generally I cannot stand "double headband" headphones. It looks positively silly.

But hey, at least they're better than those stupid AKG K1000 "headphones". BRB, taping desktop speakers to a headband and calling them headphones.

Yeah no, the K1000 is gorgeous. So are these. 

Double headband is hard to do right, but the K1000 and these really do make it work in my opinion. Moreso these of course.

Feb 23, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #737 of 1,354
I'm not aiming to be a jerk or anything, but honestly if I ever walked outside wearing the K1000 I would just be waiting for people to take pictures of me and post it on People Of Walmart or something. They look absurd. How can you even call those headphones? They're speakers on a headband. It's like those old 21" screen, 20lb "laptops". At one point you wanna go "okay what you're in the market for is not what that is."

Feb 23, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #739 of 1,354
  I'm not aiming to be a jerk or anything, but honestly if I ever walked outside wearing the K1000 I would just be waiting for people to take pictures of me and post it on People Of Walmart or something. They look absurd. How can you even call those headphones? They're speakers on a headband. It's like those old 21" screen, 20lb "laptops". At one point you wanna go "okay what you're in the market for is not what that is."

I would kill to get my hands on a 21" screen laptop. Nowadays instead of feature-loaded complex machines the only thing's we have on the market are super thin, super light, super small pieces of **** that are both incredibly breakable and don't have half the features the last generation had. Ever use an IBM ThinkPad? Then you'll know where I'm coming from.

But that's beside the point. I love the K1000 because of how streamlined it looks when the speakers are folded flat against your ears. That's how I would wear it if I brought it outside... which I wouldn't since driving that thing portably is impossible.

Feb 23, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #740 of 1,354
  I would kill to get my hands on a 21" screen laptop. Nowadays instead of feature-loaded complex machines the only thing's we have on the market are super thin, super light, super small pieces of **** that are both incredibly breakable and don't have half the features the last generation had. Ever use an IBM ThinkPad? Then you'll know where I'm coming from.

But that's beside the point. I love the K1000 because of how streamlined it looks when the speakers are folded flat against your ears. That's how I would wear it if I brought it outside... which I wouldn't since driving that thing portably is impossible.

LOL dude if you're taking your cues about the mobile computing world from the $500 ultrabooks at Best Buy you're no better than someone who knows everything they know about headphones from trying on Skullcandy. The mobile world is unbelievable now. The amount of power crammed into these machines is stellar. The IBM thinkpads were sturdy, but uh... let's just say I'm glad that they don't set my balls on fire and weigh as much as a fat baby these days.

If you bought that 21" screen laptop, I'd ask you the same thing as if I saw you in the K1000's: why did you go for a portable product? Just buy the desktop version, that's obviously the experience you're going after here. Not to mention I'm pretty sure if anyone was playing music at any appreciable volume on the K1000's they'd have all the isolation of that same fat baby trying to get his mom's attention. And that's ignoring the fact that, like you said, they're not portable anyway. I don't understand the point of getting isolation-free headphones that need a desktop system to power. Just get some good speakers at that point.

Feb 23, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #741 of 1,354
I don't understand the point of getting isolation-free headphones that need a desktop system to power. Just get some good speakers at that point.

Apt living. Late night listening. Cost benefit of speaker hi-fi. To each their own though. By those qualification no one should ever buy stax.

Feb 23, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #742 of 1,354

LOL dude if you're taking your cues about the mobile computing world from the $500 ultrabooks at Best Buy you're no better than someone who knows everything they know about headphones from trying on Skullcandy. The mobile world is unbelievable now. The amount of power crammed into these machines is stellar. The IBM thinkpads were sturdy, but uh... let's just say I'm glad that they don't set my balls on fire and weigh as much as a fat baby these days.

If you bought that 21" screen laptop, I'd ask you the same thing as if I saw you in the K1000's: why did you go for a portable product? Just buy the desktop version, that's obviously the experience you're going after here. Not to mention I'm pretty sure if anyone was playing music at any appreciable volume on the K1000's they'd have all the isolation of that same fat baby trying to get his mom's attention. And that's ignoring the fact that, like you said, they're not portable anyway. I don't understand the point of getting isolation-free headphones that need a desktop system to power. Just get some good speakers at that point.

I never once said power, did I?. I said features.

Let me explain. My old $400 budget Gateway from ~4 years ago has more USB ports, a better card reader, better screen, better battery, better GPU, better keyboard, AND a better trackpad than my $800 Lenovo "Ultrabook". I could also upgrade my old laptop's RAM and hard drive if I chose to, but the Lenovo's design doesn't allow that. Even the god forsaken battery isn't replacable. It's also slightly heavier and isn't really built that much better. And that's just a 4 year difference. Have you even seen the number and types of ports the old ThinkPads have? Most of them even had TWO sets of mouse buttons on the trackpad and an analog nub in the center of the keyboard, and a middle mouse button. And a thumbprint scanner. And a dedicated mic port. Seriously? I can't even get a mic port that isn't built into the headphone jack anymore. That's how ass-backwards the laptop industry is today. Everyone's getting rid of features and making hardware compromises to make the units as slim and sleek as they can. It's misguided and downright stupid. That's not what a laptop is for, it's supposed to be functional, not pretty. It's supposed to serve a purpose. And I'm sorry, but if you find it tiresome to carry an old ThinkPad, you seriously need more protein in your diet. 

You're really not in the right hobby if you think home headphones are pointless, plus consider what you're asking of people; speakers that can compare to the top flight headphones not only require custom rooms and beefy amplification but also cost a hell of a lot more. $10k can get you a 009 and a world-class amp to match it but won't even make a dent in getting the same level of performance from speakers. 

Feb 23, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #743 of 1,354
I still think the Edition 10's are beautiful.

Feb 23, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #745 of 1,354
  I still think the Edition 10's are beautiful.

Get rid of the way too thin headband and I agree with you. Too bad they're the harshest headphones on the planet.

I will take to the grave that the Mixrs look awesome.

I may be a Beats hater normally, but the Mixrs are definitely one of the best looking portable headphones ever made. It's a shame they don't really do anything else right.

Really? I thought the Mixr sounded at least on par with the Pros, if not better... 

Feb 23, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #746 of 1,354

I never once said power, did I?. I said features.

Let me explain. My old $400 budget Gateway from ~4 years ago has more USB ports, a better card reader, better screen, better battery, better GPU, better keyboard, AND a better trackpad than my $800 Lenovo "Ultrabook". I could also upgrade my old laptop's RAM and hard drive if I chose to, but the Lenovo's design doesn't allow that. Even the god forsaken battery isn't replacable. It's also slightly heavier and isn't really built that much better. And that's just a 4 year difference. Have you even seen the number and types of ports the old ThinkPads have? Most of them even had TWO sets of mouse buttons on the trackpad and an analog nub in the center of the keyboard, and a middle mouse button. And a thumbprint scanner. And a dedicated mic port. Seriously? I can't even get a mic port that isn't built into the headphone jack anymore. That's how ass-backwards the laptop industry is today. Everyone's getting rid of features and making hardware compromises to make the units as slim and sleek as they can. It's misguided and downright stupid. That's not what a laptop is for, it's supposed to be functional, not pretty. It's supposed to serve a purpose. And I'm sorry, but if you find it tiresome to carry an old ThinkPad, you seriously need more protein in your diet. 

You're really not in the right hobby if you think home headphones are pointless, plus consider what you're asking of people; speakers that can compare to the top flight headphones not only require custom rooms and beefy amplification but also cost a hell of a lot more. $10k can get you a 009 and a world-class amp to match it but won't even make a dent in getting the same level of performance from speakers. 
You do know there are still thinkpads in the market, right? I own an ultrabook and a work/gaming laptop. Different feautures and uses... I do not like to carry my 5lb laptop when I'm travelling, most people dont. If you like your big ol' lappy, it's fine but don't put others down just cause they dont have the same needs/wants that you do.

As far as headphones go, I personally find the K1000 to be funny looking, and the abyss just ugly. I do like stax though, they know how to make earphones look elegant.

Feb 24, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #747 of 1,354

I mean, you can't really use them outside to begin with because they're not the easiest things to power. I remember there was someone who actually made a couple of videos of him using a K1000 outside powered by a t-amp and getting reactions from people. 

Actually, they technically are speakers on a headband. That was the point of them.

Feb 24, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #749 of 1,354

I mean, you can't really use them outside to begin with because they're not the easiest things to power. I remember there was someone who actually made a couple of videos of him using a K1000 outside powered by a t-amp and getting reactions from people. 

Actually, they technically are speakers on a headband. That was the point of them.

Which just begs the question. Uh, why? Get headphones or get speakers. It's like putting a piece of cake on a pizza. You didn't enhance the experience and in fact just ruined the two halves of the equation. If you want speakers, get some nice big speakers so you can sink into room-filling sound. If you want headphones, get some headphones that actually funnel the sound directly into your ears. I just don't get it. 

When I see the K1000's, I imagine that's the kind of person who'd also buy this:

Feb 24, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #750 of 1,354
Which just begs the question. Uh, why? Get headphones or get speakers. It's like putting a piece of cake on a pizza. You didn't enhance the experience and in fact just ruined the two halves of the equation. If you want speakers, get some nice big speakers so you can sink into room-filling sound. If you want headphones, get some headphones that actually funnel the sound directly into your ears. I just don't get it. 

Biggest soundstage and some listeners enjoy or don't mind a bass light sound.

Maybe it's speakers for the headphone crowd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back