THE best female vocals? (your favorite female singers)
Dec 22, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #1,817 of 5,010
Although she has been mentioned a few times, no one has done Sarah McLachlan justice in this thread, yet:

alternative version, but sound is badly compressed
frown.gif
:

...and too many more I could have posted here!
smile_phones.gif

Also see:

Ruth Moody
Vienna Teng
Natalie Merchant
Leddra Chapman
Alysha Brillinger
Mary Chapin Carpenter

Dec 23, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #1,819 of 5,010
  Thanks, illyria.

Just a gentle hint: there's a 'Search This Thread' function at the top of each page, so you can check if an artist has been posted (with videos) previously.

There're some great young artists coming-through via Youtube these days, aren't there? Many's the time a couple of hours has flown by, while I jump from link to link, listening to music I've never heard before.

Although I don't use it personally, I know quite a few people discover new artists these days via Spotify.

I've even posted one or two artists in this thread that I encountered whilst shopping in stores that had them playing, and I used 'Sound Hound' to identify what/who the artist/song was!

How times have changed since my childhood, when I used to try to tape the Top-40 on a Sunday evening, to listen to, on my Sony Walkman, later!
beyersmile.png

Completely missed this thread and just panic searched all of the people I listed.  Luckily none of them has had any videos posted yet.   :Sigh of relief:
Edit - Well, just found that pesky.. "View Full Post" button..   Maybe I listed a few previously listed artists. 
redface.gif

Posted a video of Kate McGill singing in Meadowlark, however, here is one of her earlier solo songs - 

And one of Katie Sky's earlier covers that sticks out in my mind - 

And one of my favourite videos on YouTube.. Both of them in a single video - 

I'm enjoying this thread a little too much..  My entire experience on Head-Fi has been slowly bleeding my wallet like a matador. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 23, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #1,821 of 5,010
Kristen Williams and her friend, Danni James - 

I think that I'm nearing the end of the "main" people that I follow..  I will have to search the darker corners of my bookmarks/favourites to find more. 

Dec 23, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #1,824 of 5,010

I'm enjoying this thread a little too much..  My entire experience on Head-Fi has been slowly bleeding my wallet like a matador. 
biggrin.gif

Yeah, Head-fi membership should come with a payment plan to spread the cost of your inevitable purchases!

Dec 23, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #1,825 of 5,010

Thanks - are they any good..?

"The Fade Out Line" and "Twisted" come from  the "Innerquake" and "Looking for a Man" from the "Weather's Coming". They are quite representative of the Phoebe's style and capabilities, but the studio recordings are richer and fuller sounding. Not sure if that's a good thing as I quite liked the improvised arrangements on youtube. 
Start with the "Innerquake" as it's probably better of the two, but I really like both of them. 

Dec 23, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #1,826 of 5,010
I think I posted these vids in a different thread, long ago, so, in addition to this:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/522812/the-best-female-vocals-your-favorite-female-singers/285#post_7278749

here are a couple more from Sinead O'Connor, (because they're totally different, stylistically, from her other stuff):

Dec 23, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #1,827 of 5,010
Dec 23, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #1,828 of 5,010
Patti Austin:

No vids for Patti Labelle yet:

No vids for Anita Baker yet:

Regina Belle:

Also see:

India Arie
Sade
Angie Stone
Iyeoka
Lianne La Havas

Wild card
wink.gif
:  www.head-fi.org/t/522812/the-best-female-vocals-your-favorite-female-singers/2280#post_10937629

Dec 23, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #1,829 of 5,010
She's been mentioned, but it's time Sade was given the proper due she deserves, with a decent bunch of vids.

IMHO, Sade is one of those artists who is best listened-to on a fullsize hi-fi, loudly enough to feel through the floor, and with a glass of cabernet sauvignon in one hand and one's nearest&dearest in the other, with dimmed mood lighting and relaxing in a stylish recliner...    ...but...she still sounds rather excellent when strolling coolly through crowds of stressed people doing their Xmas shopping! She's one cool vocalist... I've grown up with those wonderful laidback bass lines and sultry vocals, throughout the 80s, 90s, and 00s...
L3000.gif
   Personally, I feel her music has stood the test of time remarkably well (and that's no mean feat).

N.B.:  I highly recommend you kick back and assume a horizontal postion before listening to the links in this particular post!:

If any of you like Sade, and are contemplating who might be a male equivalent, then there's no one quite like Sade, but I highly recommend Maxwell, who arrived 10-15 yrs or so after Sade but who is still cool as heck, in his own right.

Also checkout Amp Fiddler, D'Angelo, and Erykah Badu, and - if you have broader tastes in music, Lewis Taylor & perhaps  John Mayer or David Ryan Harris.  There are also some smooth Rn'B artists posted 2-3 pages previous to this one.
beerchug.gif

Amp Fiddler:

D'Angelo:

Stevie Ray Vaughan (also try to check out Lucky Peterson's version)

Thievery Corporaton, feat. Nina Simone:

Fat Freddy's Drop:

John Lee Hooker:

Nina Simone:

Rhianna:

Erykah Badu:

Roger Sanchez (shamelessly ripping-off Toto):

The Commodores:

Conner Reeves:

Anthony Hamilton:

Davina:

Donell Jones:

Bob Marley:

Jack Johnson:

Zero 7 (Sophie Barker, vocalist):

Really showin' my age, here:

Tedeschi-Trucks Band:

Carleen Anderson:

Cunnie Williams:

Sublime:

Al Green:

Marvin Gaye:

There's some very chilled stuff in this post:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/522812/the-best-female-vocals-your-favorite-female-singers/1380#post_9079664

Israel Kamakawiwo'ole:

Dusty Springfield:

Emily Elbert:

Maxwell:

(there's loads more Maxwell stuff worth hearing, if you feel like checking it out)

Lianne Le Havas (already posted, but deserves inclusion in this chilled post)

Angie Stone:

Luther Vandross:

Chaka Khan (+ Rufus):

Lionel Richie:

OK... I'm going to behave myself now and leave it at that... I hope you enjoyed your chilled evening!
wink_face.gif

Also see:

Ruby Wood
Andreya Triana

ROX
Joy Denalane
Maddy Carty
Rhianna Kenny
Charlotte Ashdown
Alicia Keys
Stephanie McKay
Angie Stone
Leela James
Sasha Keable
Natalie Duncan
Carleen Anderson
Emily King
Jill Scott
Cleo Sol
Hil St Soul
Corinne Bailey Ray
Hannah-Rei
Phillipa June

Dec 23, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #1,830 of 5,010
1/ Cara Dillon, she simply has the most magical way of conveying emotion through her voice.

Favourite females with great voices who's regularly grace my play list these days in no particular order our

Melody Gardot
Diana Krall
Bic Runga
Alison Krauss
Florence Welch
The Wailin Jennys, Nicky Mehta, Ruth Moody and Heather Masse.  Wonderful harmonies
Eva Cassidy
Sarah Jarosz
Martina McBride

There are so many others great singers to list them all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back