The best Audiophile MP3 Player?
Nov 23, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #121 of 223
Okay, thanks to you both for clearing that up.

And if only the QA350 would support FLAC and be hard drive based, so I could get my ENTIRE music collection around with me, I'd be all over it.

I wonder how hard it would be to modify an external 2.5" hard drive to output SPDIF for my D10? :)

Nov 23, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #122 of 223
Wow, I can't believe it, I'm halfway to my wallet to buy an s:flo2!  I guess I can buy a card and just load it with a couple playlists worth of music and see how it goes -- kinda seems like all the audiophile players are going to be that way with the exception of the pricey iMod.

Nov 23, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #123 of 223
Quote:
..but a player that size should have better battery life than my Clip+, don't you think?
wink.gif

No way. Most of these players have terrible battery life due to the amount of draining electrical componenets in them, which arguably make them sound good.

Nov 23, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #124 of 223
Ok, I did it, they were having such a good deal on the S:Flo2 16gB ($159 and free shipping) that I just couldn't pass it up -- I want a first hand experience of an "audiophile" player and that is quite a good deal!  I would have gone with the QA350 but that just doesn't look like something I can use to work out with and go for walks -- more like a desktop rig type thing.

Next on my list to try -- HM-601!

Nov 23, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #125 of 223
Some people are using those small portable external charger things to go with their S:Flo2s. It adds to the bulk but it's a cheap option for extending the battery life considerably. I'd look into it if I could see the total footprint of an S:Flo2 + Arrow amp + battery pack. It wouldn't have to be pocketable since I usually carry a small messenger bag around.

The only thing I don't like about mine, really, that's an actual - point rather than something I can work around is gapless, although another user has pointed out you can just make .cue files out of albums which are 'one long track' type things or live albums and then they'll be no gaps, but you'll have to manually fast-forward.

Nov 23, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #127 of 223

Quote:
The only thing I don't like about mine, really, that's an actual - point rather than something I can work around is gapless, although another user has pointed out you can just make .cue files out of albums which are 'one long track' type things or live albums and then they'll be no gaps, but you'll have to manually fast-forward.

Uh oh, here I go being an ignoramus again, but what exactly is all this talk about gapless and non-gapless?  Edit: ok, never mind, found it on Wikipedia.  I don't think this is an issue for me really, but I'll find out in a week or two!

I've just gotten my Pico Slim today, hoping that goes nicely with the S:Flo2 and JH16's I have coming :)   Guess I'll find out soon!  I can't believe how small the Pico Slim is, it makes my Sony X look gigantic by comparison.

Nov 24, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #128 of 223

Quote:

regarding gapless and .cue files see here please ... http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/447836/hifiman-801-appreciation-thread/270#post_7072293 ... if the firmware is the same there should be no difference.

Nov 24, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #129 of 223
Quote:
Ok, I did it, they were having such a good deal on the S:Flo2 16gB ($159 and free shipping) that I just couldn't pass it up -- I want a first hand experience of an "audiophile" player and that is quite a good deal!  I would have gone with the QA350 but that just doesn't look like something I can use to work out with and go for walks -- more like a desktop rig type thing.

Next on my list to try -- HM-601!

Congratulations, please report back how it compares to your Sony Walkman X   =p

Nov 24, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #131 of 223

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Congratulations, please report back how it compares to your Sony Walkman X   =p

Thanks!  For sure I will, I'm super curious to find out myself!

Believe it or not my Sflo2 needed a few days the sound and the screen to get 'right'.  Call it whatever you like but hold off on judgements till you get the settings right and have used it or let it run for a week.

Nov 24, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #132 of 223

Quote:
Believe it or not my Sflo2 needed a few days the sound and the screen to get 'right'.  Call it whatever you like but hold off on judgements till you get the settings right and have used it or let it run for a week.

I guess this is what is controversially called the "burn in"?  Thanks for the tip, I most certainly will hold off judgments until I've put some hours on it -- and I have to try it with all my various setups and different types of music; ahh, its like heaven, I just love this stuff!  I am so totally a DAP addict, I should probably go join a 12 step program or something...

Nov 25, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #133 of 223

Quote:
Quote:

I guess this is what is controversially called the "burn in"?  Thanks for the tip, I most certainly will hold off judgments until I've put some hours on it -- and I have to try it with all my various setups and different types of music; ahh, its like heaven, I just love this stuff!  I am so totally a DAP addict, I should probably go join a 12 step program or something...

Oddly enough the touch screen took longer to function properly relative to the sound changing IME.  

Nov 25, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #134 of 223
How good the Philips Muse SA2MUS32S/02 is?
There is non European version with power output 2 x 10.5 mW
compared to EU versions 2 x 2.7 mW (i guess it will make around 40 dB in AKG K 601)

Where to get the stronger model, and will it come with suitable accessories for European 220 Volts and so on?

Nov 25, 2010 at 4:09 AM Post #135 of 223
So, apart from the absolute necessity of an external headphone amp with its own power source, the DIYMod stays attractive, especially in the FlashMod version, for even more extended battery life and ruggedness, along with gapless playback, decent SQ, and UI. + it handles .alac natively or .flac when Rockboxed.
I use dBPowerAmp to batch convert my .flac to .alac to retain compatibility with third party interactive interfaces for home stereo receivers & car radios, since Rockbox doesn't support them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back