The best Audiophile MP3 Player?
Nov 28, 2010 at 10:24 AM Post #136 of 223

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Believe it or not my Sflo2 needed a few days the sound and the screen to get 'right'.  Call it whatever you like but hold off on judgements till you get the settings right and have used it or let it run for a week.

I guess this is what is controversially called the "burn in"?  Thanks for the tip, I most certainly will hold off judgments until I've put some hours on it -- and I have to try it with all my various setups and different types of music; ahh, its like heaven, I just love this stuff!  I am so totally a DAP addict, I should probably go join a 12 step program or something...

Oddly enough the touch screen took longer to function properly relative to the sound changing IME.  

Cold, dry fingers on a clean touchscreen = does not work.  The "burn in" for me was just inadvertently applying some hair-wax to the surface area.  I like the 6-second turn-off feature, so the screen is completely locked in my pocket right after I pick a tune.

Nov 28, 2010 at 12:06 PM Post #137 of 223

Quote:
Quote:
Oddly enough the touch screen took longer to function properly relative to the sound changing IME.  

Cold, dry fingers on a clean touchscreen = does not work.  The "burn in" for me was just inadvertently applying some hair-wax to the surface area.  I like the 6-second turn-off feature, so the screen is completely locked in my pocket right after I pick a tune.

Hair wax??? Wow, that's a first!  I take it this is a capacitance screen?  I used to have that problem with my iPod Touch (cold dry fingers that is) -- have you guys tried putting a screen protector on it?  That seemed to help for me, probably the same idea as hairwax :wink:

I wonder how long til I get mine, I'm not the most patient person on earth.  Kind of drooling over the HM-601 now but I keep telling myself I already have an s:flo2 on the way that I have to try first...

Nov 28, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #138 of 223

Quote:
Hair wax??? Wow, that's a first!  I take it this is a capacitance screen?  I used to have that problem with my iPod Touch (cold dry fingers that is) -- have you guys tried putting a screen protector on it?  That seemed to help for me, probably the same idea as hairwax :wink: 

Lol I meant inadvertently as in over the course of a few days, after touching my hair and touching the screen, so it wasn't sparkly clean and non-responsive.  Not to mention my T51 fell out of my pocket while I was getting out of a car once, and it just so happened there was a sewer drain right there and it slided in, I was swearing and cussing at myself thinking it was in the sewer and I lifted the lid of the drain and the T51 was lying there 1m down so I climbed down to get it, it was a bit scathed up but still working fine and I still like it to death, just as well too 'coz I don't think I'll be selling it after this story!

Quote:

Kind of drooling over the HM-601 now but I keep telling myself I already have an s:flo2 

Same.

Nov 28, 2010 at 12:29 PM Post #140 of 223

Quote:
If I recall correctly my exact thoughts after the sinking feeling of hearing it slide down the drain were "DAMNIT $140 DOWN THE DRAIN AND I JUST GOT THE DAMN THING AND THEY'RE SOLD OUT IN CHINA WHAT THE HELLLLLL HOW DID I ACHIEVE THAT WHAT THE HELLL"

Wow, this is one seriously durable player!  You are killing me here roflol! 

Nov 28, 2010 at 1:01 PM Post #141 of 223
I should also add I find the Teclast T51/S:Flo2's main drawback to be it's size, which I find too large and clunky for true portable use, I excuse this when I see pictures of it's circuit-board filled to the teeth with components, and it's large screen with excellent video playback.

The HM-601 I tell myself will probably sound like a high quality cassette-tape player, which I already own and feel little desire to ever use.

For truly portable use (jogging, gym, tight jeans) I use a Sony NWZ-B153 with CK10's wrapped around it, less SQ than the T51, however better EQ and looks cool.

For microportable use, I might get a clip+ and some kind of awesome earbud, I need something better than Sony E888, which are too delicate and are now kindof broken after modding, can't be bothered ordering a new pair from Japan.  Then my earphone collection will be complete (Dynamic IEM, Armature IEM, Earbud).

Nov 28, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #142 of 223

Quote:
I should also add I find the Teclast T51/S:Flo2's main drawback to be it's size, which I find too large and clunky for true portable use, I excuse this when I see pictures of it's circuit-board filled to the teeth with components, and it's large screen with excellent video playback.

The HM-601 I tell myself will probably sound like a high quality cassette-tape player, which I already own and feel little desire to ever use.

For truly portable use (jogging, gym, tight jeans) I use a Sony NWZ-B153 with CK10's wrapped around it, less SQ than the T51, however better EQ and looks cool.

For microportable use, I might get a clip+ and some kind of awesome earbud, I need something better than Sony E888, which are too delicate and are now kindof broken after modding, can't be bothered ordering a new pair from Japan.  Then my earphone collection will be complete (Dynamic IEM, Armature IEM, Earbud).

damn ...i can never be confident enough of my IEMs build to wrap them around anything ..! :frowning2:
i envy you ( also note, never to buy stff from you  :p )

Nov 28, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #143 of 223

Quote:

Probably what it was.  Never had an issue once I put Invisibleshield on the screen.  I'm actually more familiar w/ resistive screens than capacitive.  I prefer my stylus.

Nov 28, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #145 of 223

Quote:

damn ...i can never be confident enough of my IEMs build to wrap them around anything ..! :frowning2:
i envy you ( also note, never to buy stff from you  :p )

CK10 and A-Jays build quality is unbreakable, the best.  ( also note, I have never broken an earphone, except Sony E888 :p ) ( also note, my headphones stay at home, in their little box on the desk :p )

Nov 28, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #146 of 223

Quote:
I am pretty small in comparison to the HM-601 and as you said, the video playback is a nice feature. I like carrying my hentai with me. 

Yeah I've got some hentai too and movies like Ong Bak, IP Man 2 and some good western movies like OH SO YOU have the HM-601 now?? Well are you going to compare the sound-quality versus S:Flo2 pretty please Mr.T?

Nov 28, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #147 of 223

Quote:

Quote:
I am pretty small in comparison to the HM-601 and as you said, the video playback is a nice feature. I like carrying my hentai with me. 

Yeah I've got some hentai too and movies like Ong Bak, IP Man 2 and some good western movies like OH SO YOU have the HM-601 now?? Well are you going to compare the sound-quality versus S:Flo2 pretty please Mr.T?

He did.  The Sflo2 is a good video player for sure.  I prefer my smartphone though.  Ip Man 2?  Better than the first?

Dec 4, 2010 at 6:16 AM Post #149 of 223
Hi.
I bought a spare battery,for my 801,because the life span is short,but unfortunately,it is not a clever decision,as there is not a charging dock,so as to charge the first,while use the other in the player.
Is there a solution to this?
Theodore.

Dec 4, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #150 of 223

Quote:
I've been using my friend, the Search, and here is a summary of what I've come up with.  Comments are welcome, this is a combination of personal experience and what I've read. 

From best SQ to not as good SQ:

==== Audiophile players ========

• Hifiman HM-801 -- $799, best sound, minimal UI, big, great AMP & DAC, SDHC, line out.
  • Hifiman HM-602 (16GB)/ HM-601 (2GB) -- $440 / $260 SDHC, good AMP, largish, line out.
  • QLS QA350 (2 GB) -- $185, SDHC cards, minimal UI, chunky, volume knob, dig outs.
  • iMod thin (120GB) -- $595 (+ $195 for LOD cable) great SQ, nice iPod UI, needs an amp.
  • Nationite S:Flo2 (16GB) -- $170, weak UI, good amp, micro SD, line out, no gapless
  • Cube C30 (4GB) -- $53

===== Mainstream players =======

• Cowon J3 (32GB) -- $220 better UI but not great, micro SD, no LOD
  • Sansa Clip+ (8GB) -- $59  flat response, compact, simple text UI, micro SD, LOD
  • Sony Walkman X (32GB) -- $399, hiss issue, LOD, decent UI
  • Zune HD (32GB) -- $200, no LOD, good UI
  • iPod Touch 4G (32GB) -- $288, LOD, best UI

I guess the quality of UI and form factor seems to be in inverse proportion to SQ!  The ones I've actually owned are the last three and I'm thinking about whether I should try one of the top four -- but I'm put off by the lack of playlist support since that is fundamental to the way I listen to music!

EDIT: made some adjustments according to comments, added iMod, and QA350

Where the heck do you get a 32GB J3 for $220?

And the post that said you more you research the unhappier you'll be is 100% true.  I have no clue what the hell I should get again, there are too many choices.  Was thinking the Sflo2 but don't even know where to get one, and worried about the UI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back