The Basshead's buyers guide!
Jun 19, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #166 of 177

Quote:
I never knew the DT990 was a basshead can.

I didn't say it had to be true basshead can either. :p It's got bass what's concidered noticably above neutral. Strong for being open, would be good to include at least ONE open headphone with strong bass response for variety's sake.

Jun 19, 2011 at 3:12 AM Post #167 of 177
Yea it's a great idea I agree but only if one can manage to write it in an objective way just explaining the sound characteristics and the headphone as a whole and won't write it in a subjective manner like SennheiserHD's partly was. I would be interested in contributing if I can, I'm used to writing reviews in a objective manner (take a look at my signature for some samples).

I think such a thread should perhaps split the thread into budget ranges like <$50, 50 - $100, 100 - $200 and $200+ perhaps. Headphones I'd personally think should belong in such a thread would be at least (in no particular order of importance):

AKG K 81 / 518 DJ / K 181 DJ
Sennheiser HD 212 pro / HD25-II
Sony XB500 / XB700 / XB1000
Audio Tecnica M50 / PRO700MK2
Shure 550 DJ / 750 DJ
Ultrasone HFI-580 (DJ1) / HFI-780 / Pro 900
Denon D1100 / D2000 / D5000 / D7000
Creative Aurvana Live 
BeyerDynamic DT770 Pro / DT990
Koss Pro DJ100 
M-Audio Q40
Allen & Heat XD-53
Thunderpants
Darth Beyer

Doesn't need to be perhaps only true "basshead" material, as how much bass quantity is wanted is very invidual.

??? How can you have an objective review of a headphone? What would be the point? Would you just list the specs and compare them? your reviews are not objective, you measured sound on a scale of cold to warm.

I never knew the DT990 was a basshead can.

it's generally not, the pro version is =)

Jun 19, 2011 at 3:13 AM Post #168 of 177
Oh.  Then I don't quite get all the negative feedback topic creator is getting over his M50 recommendation-- which has considerably more sub-bass than DT990.  :frowning2:

Not to saying you're one of the ones who grilled him over it.  I'd personally be pissed too if multiple people came in and high-horsed their way into my own guide.

Jun 19, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #169 of 177

Quote:
??? How can you have an objective review of a headphone? What would be the point? Would you just list the specs and compare them? your reviews are not objective, you measured sound on a scale of cold to warm.

it's generally not, the pro version is =)

Are you feeling more coherent now? So nice.

@RPGWiZaRD: Agreed on the description. Headphones don't need to be bass oriented alone to fit the profile, but having either emphasized bass or just a solid bass presence should be enough to warrant their presence.

Jun 19, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #170 of 177

Quote:
Yea it's a great idea I agree but only if one can manage to write it in an objective way just explaining the sound characteristics and the headphone as a whole and won't write it in a subjective manner like SennheiserHD's partly was. I would be interested in contributing if I can, I'm used to writing reviews in a objective manner (take a look at my signature for some samples).

I think such a thread should perhaps split the thread into budget ranges like <$50, 50 - $100, 100 - $200 and $200+ perhaps. Headphones I'd personally think should belong in such a thread would be at least (in no particular order of importance):

AKG K 81 / 518 DJ / K 181 DJ
Sennheiser HD 212 pro / HD25-II
Sony XB500 / XB700 / XB1000
Audio Tecnica M50 / PRO700MK2
Shure 550 DJ / 750 DJ
Ultrasone HFI-580 (DJ1) / HFI-780 / Pro 900
Denon D1100 / D2000 / D5000 / D7000
Creative Aurvana Live 
BeyerDynamic DT770 Pro / DT990
Koss Pro DJ100 
M-Audio Q40
Allen & Heat XD-53
Thunderpants
Darth Beyer

Doesn't need to be perhaps only true "basshead" material, as how much bass quantity is wanted is very invidual.

yeah this is pretty much along the lines of what i was thinking too and going by your previous reviews and post, we do share some musical tastes, like electronic and hardstyle, so i'd love to collaborate with you on this. here's a comparison that i did on ABi a while back, and this would probably be similar to what i plan to do here, with each individual headphone instead of mixing them all up. lemme know what you think :)

Jun 19, 2011 at 3:23 AM Post #171 of 177

Quote:

Do you actually know what is the meaning of an "objective review". All professional reviews are usually written in an objective manner, that's also what we learnt in school. When you write in an objective way you only describe the headphone, the characteristics, you compare it to other headphones etc, what stands out, like for example some have the bass response very deep bass centered and others very midbass centered, then you would tell that but you wouldn't add any "and that's why this headphone sound better because the bass is deeper" -- then it becomes subjective as you refer to your own preferences. It should be up to the reader to decide what he conciders good/bad.

Quote:
Oh.  Then I don't quite get all the negative feedback topic creator is getting over his M50 recommendation-- which has considerably more sub-bass than DT990.  :frowning2:

Not to saying you're one of the ones who grilled him over it.  I'd personally be pissed too if multiple people came in and high-horsed their way into my own guide.

I was never against what he wrote, only how he started insulting people that didn't think M50 were basshead material and then went on to completely ignore any negative critics. But yea had been nicer with a slightly more objective point of view in the guide too.

Jun 19, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #172 of 177
LOL, do you actually know what is the meaning of an "objective review". All professional reviews are usually written in an objective manner, that's also what we learnt in school. When you write in an objective way you only describe the headphone, the characteristics, you compare it to other headphones etc, what stands out, like for example some have the bass response very deep bass centered and others very midbass centered, then you would tell that but you wouldn't add any "and that's why this headphone sound better because the bass is deeper" -- then it becomes subjective as you refer to your own preferences. It should be up to the reader to decide what he conciders good/bad, you as reviewer only describe the it.

I was never against what he wrote, only how he started insulting people that didn't think M50 were basshead material and then went on to completely ignore any negative critics. But yea had been nicer with a slightly more objective point of view in the guide too.

no. an objective review only looks at facts and figures. things you can prove with scientific evidence. did you go to school in the caribbean or something?

Are you feeling more coherent now? So nice.

@RPGWiZaRD: Agreed on the description. Headphones don't need to be bass oriented alone to fit the profile, but having either emphasized bass or just a solid bass presence should be enough to warrant their presence.

thanks for the bump

Jun 19, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #173 of 177

+1

my main problem is that, my guide carries no weight or authority, yet all these nerds are getting hugely butthurt over what's being posted despite the fact that I made all my intentions very clear. Everyone is free to interpret things how they wish, nobody is being forced to buy the m50 now that I think it's the best headphone under 200.

Jun 19, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #174 of 177

Quote:
my main problem is that, my guide carries no weight or authority, yet all these nerds are getting hugely butthurt over what's being posted despite the fact that I made all my intentions very clear. Everyone is free to interpret things how they wish, nobody is being forced to buy the m50 now that I think it's the best headphone under 200.

Unfortunately, you don't know how to take criticism, and for that your only answer is to act like a toddler. Shame on you.

And if your knowledge and experience have no weight or authority, state it clearly so others aren't mislead by you and your words.

Jun 19, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #176 of 177
You guys define "objective" differently. No need to get angry over that.
People can and will disagree with you, SennheiserHD. That's not a bad thing; imagine a world where everybody thought the same way you did. You'd all commit suicide from the boredom!

There's no need to get angry or defensive when people disagree. It doesn't mean they don't like you; they just don't like some of the stuff you're saying.

Jun 19, 2011 at 4:17 AM Post #177 of 177
You guys define "objective" differently. No need to get angry over that.
People can and will disagree with you, SennheiserHD. That's not a bad thing; imagine a world where everybody thought the same way you did. You'd all commit suicide from the boredom!

There's no need to get angry or defensive when people disagree. It doesn't mean they don't like you; they just don't like some of the stuff you're saying.

it's not what they're saying it's how they say it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back