The Audio Technica W3000ANV Thread
Jan 29, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #287 of 1,529
You sure it's not just that Malaysian humidity?

The Yammy's supposed to be a brilliant match up ( I just did a Freudian typo and spelled it Yummy).

We expect a full report.

Jan 29, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #288 of 1,529
Hahahaha...bloody auto-spell on my cellphone! Correction - NOISY 
biggrin.gif

Yes, full report once I've had time to dive in and have a really good listen across a broad range of genres with metal being the primary one, of course.

Jan 29, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #289 of 1,529
Quote:
I can't wait for mine to arrive..it was just only sent out to the Post Office today..

Btw, will these cans sound good with a solid state amp?

Have listened to the W3k through a Leben CS-600 with NOS tubes, an SS Bakoon Amp-11R (a virtually unknown integrated on Head-Fi but think in the realm of Nelson Pass type SQ) and an EAR HP-4 with NOS tubes.

The cans are too sensitive for the headphone output of the Leben resulting in background noise.

They don't sound bad through the Bakoon but the pairing of these headphones with the EAR is magical! "Addictive" is another adjective which comes to mind.

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #291 of 1,529
I enjoy my pair out of an obscure mid range amp, Elekit TU-882, because it is such a quiet amp.  No hum on any of the gain settings, though I use the low gain setting so the volume pot is more effective.  Pretty happy with the set up, but I am tempted to get another amp of some sort. 

Jan 30, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #292 of 1,529
From the opinions, it would generally seem that this can pairs better with tube amps...so, hopefully the Yammy will do fine, if not, i have a DIY transformer coupled tube amp on standby. Only 0.5W into 50 Ohms methinks 
biggrin.gif

Btw, would OTL amps pair well?

Jan 30, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #293 of 1,529
There's a new Yammy, the HA-03 as well now.

Next time I'm in the city I'll check if any of the electronics stores have any left. Might be able to score a bargain for someone.

Jan 30, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #294 of 1,529
Quote:
From the opinions, it would generally seem that this can pairs better with tube amps...so, hopefully the Yammy will do fine, if not, i have a DIY transformer coupled tube amp on standby. Only 0.5W into 50 Ohms methinks 
biggrin.gif

Btw, would OTL amps pair well?

My Decware CSP2 is a OTL and they sound fantastic on the CSP2. The CSP2 can handle most low impedance cans really well.  It also does well with the v200 and Burson Soloist solid state amps but the Decware is better than both of the other two as i have the V200 and the Soloist I sold but they are excellent amps with the 3000 for sure. My Decware has tricked out Bugle Boys currently in play.

Jan 30, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #295 of 1,529
Currawong,

How different are the HA-03 from the 02?

Frank I,
Am glad I'm a tube fan else I would have bought the wrong cans 
biggrin.gif
 Have read so much positive impressions of the CSP2 and the Taboo but they are just too pricey for me and there are no distributors nearby nor anyone I know owning a set for me to audition. Oh well, let's hope the Yammy doesn't disappoint! 

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #297 of 1,529
Quote:
There's a new Yammy, the HA-03 as well now.

Next time I'm in the city I'll check if any of the electronics stores have any left. Might be able to score a bargain for someone.

I would be interested in your impressions of that HA-03.  It's so new that no one has had a chance to listen to it. 

Jan 30, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #298 of 1,529
Quote:
one quick question here. Do wooden headphones require maintenance like polishing? or storing them in the dry box?

I've used my ESW10's outside in rain a number of times, after around 4 years it seems like moisture has seeped through from the inside of the cup, and they have recently developed a staining effect underneath the lacquer that I can't get rid of. I've tried to read up on what the cause might be, or how to get rid of it, the closest I could get anywhere on the net was someone discussing moisture damage on cars... but that's from being worn outside regularly, sometimes in heavy rain, so I'm sure they will be fine outside of their box as long as you don't have problems with dampness in your flat/house.

They will attract fingerprints as soon as you so much as touch them, since your skin develops a natural oil to keep moist this will be transferred to the cups upon contact. You'll have to handle them with either gloves, or get used to having to give them a quick polish every so often to keep them looking pristine (or just avoid touching the cups). Not too different from how you have to polish up your glasses, monitor, or shiny plastics now and again if you want to keep the fingerprints away.

The lacquer surface scratches very easily, so I wouldn't recommend ever putting them down on a hard surface, if there are other things lying around. Accidentally rubbing them against something that isn't entirely soft will leave visible marks in the right light.

Feb 2, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #300 of 1,529
I have finally received the Svetlana 2 I ordered a month ago. The pairing with the W3000ANV is brilliant! It's the best pairing I've heard on the W3000ANV thus far and I even wondered how could the W3000Anv ever possibly sounded this good.

I preferred the amps I've tried with the W3000anv in this fashion: Svetlana 2>>>RSA Dark Star>>Benchmark HPA2>>>O2=Asgard=M-Stage>Leckerton UHA6SMKII>RWAK100>DX100>iPod Classic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back