The Audio Technica W3000ANV Thread
Feb 6, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #316 of 1,529
Quote:

I don't feel that way regarding the notes in the music. Hmm.

I did went down to take a listen to the LCD3 again on the RSA Dark Star a few days ago because I thought that an orthos may complement the W3000anv well. I am not sure if my preference has changed but I no longer find the LCD3 to be as good as what I thought it was. The sound is big and powerful but I find something missing. Can't exactly identify what was it. On the contrary, I was more satisfied with what my W3000anv is giving me so I was happy that it saved me a lot of money from getting the LCD3.

If you didn't like the LCD-3s as a complement for the W3Kanvs.  I recommend you try a few others.  First is the HD800s.  These are not going to give you that big bass like the LCD-3s but everything else is great (Note: The HD800s does not lack in bass - just not as big as the LCD-3s).  The T1s and also the Audio Technica: ATH-AD2000 (AD2Ks).  I love these as well.

Feb 6, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #317 of 1,529
Quote:

I don't feel that way regarding the notes in the music. Hmm.

I did went down to take a listen to the LCD3 again on the RSA Dark Star a few days ago because I thought that an orthos may complement the W3000anv well. I am not sure if my preference has changed but I no longer find the LCD3 to be as good as what I thought it was. The sound is big and powerful but I find something missing. Can't exactly identify what was it. On the contrary, I was more satisfied with what my W3000anv is giving me so I was happy that it saved me a lot of money from getting the LCD3.

If you heard the LCD-3 at the Stereo store, I would like to caution you that their equipment is far from ideal. Listening from iTunes -> Naim DAC -> Darkstar (and in a noisy setting) is just flawed imho.

Feb 6, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #318 of 1,529
My choice of T1s or W3k depends of the genre/type of music. Even though they share a lot of traits, for me, they compliment one-another nicely - though admittedly it's mostly just about sound stage and dynamics.

Feb 6, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #319 of 1,529
Quote:

If you didn't like the LCD-3s as a complement for the W3Kanvs.  I recommend you try a few others.  First is the HD800s.  These are not going to give you that big bass like the LCD-3s but everything else is great (Note: The HD800s does not lack in bass - just not as big as the LCD-3s).  The T1s and also the Audio Technica: ATH-AD2000 (AD2Ks).  I love these as well.

I like the AD2000 and the A2000X but I have to admit that technically the LCD3 is much better (though my preference is the reverse). I am waiting for the closed Audeze to be out before committing myself into anything =)

Quote:

If you heard the LCD-3 at the Stereo store, I would like to caution you that their equipment is far from ideal. Listening from iTunes -> Naim DAC -> Darkstar (and in a noisy setting) is just flawed imho.

Will you consider AK100 -> Darkstar flawed?

Feb 9, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #321 of 1,529
I haven't had experience with that amp, but to be honest I think the W3000 pairs well with pretty much anything. It has a unique sound signature, which will obviously improve when properly amped.

Also bear in mind the W3000 is pretty sensitive, but I see that the Trafomatic has different impedance settings so that shouldn't be a problem.

Feb 9, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #324 of 1,529
Initial Impressions: W3000anv treats lower quality music better than LCD-2s as long as they are recorded well, LCD-2/w3000anv bass extension is comparable, but LCD-2 is much more detailed, highs are a little more extended on w3000anv and treble definitely has a lot more sparkle to it.  W3000anv can't keep up with fast paced / detailed songs and LCD-2 can.  W3000anv has a much better midrange for vocal oriented buttery stuff / female vocals like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBJ7wpW2C80 or like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bag1gUxuU0g while LCD-2 does midrange much better for songs that use vocals to compliment instruments.  W3000anv is definitely wayy easier to amp than the LCD-2 if that matters to you, normal listening @ 10am on Bellari and normal listening for LCD-2 @ 2pm on Bellari.

Oh yea, soundstaging is better on W3000anv than LCD-2.  For comparison, AKG K702 has about a 120-135 degree field, w3000anv has around 90 degrees and LCD-2 is between 45 and 70ish per channel.

Sorry if that comes off a little congested, only been using these for an hour and a half ish as they came in almost immediately after my post haha

Edit: Need to retract that statement about lower quality/higher quality music, although w3000anv does still need well recorded.

Feb 9, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #325 of 1,529
Quote:
I haven't had experience with that amp, but to be honest I think the W3000 pairs well with pretty much anything. It has a unique sound signature, which will obviously improve when properly amped.

Also bear in mind the W3000 is pretty sensitive, but I see that the Trafomatic has different impedance settings so that shouldn't be a problem.

I find the W3000 pairs horribly with many things. Yes you get the volume, but you won't get it to sing like how it is supposed to.

Feb 9, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #327 of 1,529
Quote:
No doubt some pairings will not show them at their full potential, but still I'm not sure about horrible.. care to give some examples?
smily_headphones1.gif

I personally find the pairing of the W3000ANV with DX100 to be poor. If I didn't know how good the W3000ANV is capable of sounding and only had the DX100 as a gauge, I will certainly sell away the W3000ANV in a heartbeat.

Feb 13, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #329 of 1,529
Quote:

I find the W3000 pairs horribly with many things. Yes you get the volume, but you won't get it to sing like how it is supposed to.

Has anybody tried W3000 with Schiit stack (I am interested especially in Lyr+Bifrost)? How do they get along together?

Feb 13, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #330 of 1,529
Quote:
My choice of T1s or W3k depends of the genre/type of music. Even though they share a lot of traits, for me, they compliment one-another nicely - though admittedly it's mostly just about sound stage and dynamics.

Can I ask you for what kind of music you prefer T1 and for what music W3000? I suppose W3000 will be for vocals, but what about other genres?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back