The Audio Technica W3000ANV Thread
Feb 13, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #331 of 1,529
After the whole initial excitement for W3000, is there a consensus as to which other Audio-Technica headphones W3000 is most similar to? Is it W5000 or another AT model? I used to have W5000, but never managed to really like it. I wonder if it would be also the case with W3000 for me.

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #332 of 1,529
Quote:
I suppose W3000 will be for vocals, but what about other genres?

Can't answer your other questions other than that the Asgard didn't work out that well with the W3000ANV. Can't speak for Bifrost/Lyr.

I find the W3000 to be great across every genre in general. It is an extremely versatile headphone and I can easily live with it as my only headphone. Had it for a year now.

Vocals is its killer but that doesn't mean it performs poorly in other area. Absolutely not.

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #333 of 1,529
I suppose W3000 will be for vocals, but what about other genres?

I did not own the Lyr and W3K concurrently but separate time spent with both would lead me to guess they are not a good match at all. These ATs are very sensitive for full sized cans and the Lyr is great with hard to drive headphones but not at all brilliant with something very sensitive.

Agree with uelover, the W3Ks are very versatile. I tend to use mine for anything intimate, studio recordings, and of course vocals - Stacey Kent & Sarah McLachlan for example are unbelievably good with these. The T1s do orchestral duty and anything where a larger sound stage is an important factor, or where I don't want anything messing with the timbre (piano). The D7Ks are for rock - especially live concerts - and when I want to enjoy the full impact of cello and double bass. Apart from that, for me it's less about genre and more about setting/staging/atmosphere.

The AT's get the most play time, followed by the Denons. (Partly because I listen to a lot of classical throughout the day, but using speakers.)

Feb 13, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #334 of 1,529
Well, W3000 aren't the fastest headphones around but I must admit I really like them when listening to metal/rock I listen to. I love metal balads from Iron Maiden, Dance of death/Hallowed be thy name are magical. Also Nightwish sounds really good with them, they make Tarjas voice really shine.

By the way, did anyone have a chance to try W3000 on Svetlana 2 and WA2 (ideally without upgrades)? I need to upgrade my dac/amp section and I am thinking going directly for big guns in amp department. I love how WA2 looks but I am bit concerned how it drives low impedance/high sensitive headphones like W3000, OTL design does not really favor this kind of headphones. I want good synergy and dead-silent background, right now I hear a lot of noise. I have heard only good things about Svetlana 2+W3000 combo, but thats 500$ on top of WA2 (well, maxxed WA2 is roughly 1500$ as well, so in case Maxxed WA2 vs Svetlana 2 I would go for Svetlana 2 without hesitation).

Feb 13, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #335 of 1,529
Quote:
After the whole initial excitement for W3000, is there a consensus as to which other Audio-Technica headphones W3000 is most similar to? Is it W5000 or another AT model? I used to have W5000, but never managed to really like it. I wonder if it would be also the case with W3000 for me.

There is a review on headpfonia that compares both
http://www.headfonia.com/wooden-kings-w1000x-w3000anv-and-w5000/

Feb 13, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #336 of 1,529
Quote:
Well, W3000 aren't the fastest headphones around but I must admit I really like them when listening to metal/rock I listen to. I love metal balads from Iron Maiden, Dance of death/Hallowed be thy name are magical. Also Nightwish sounds really good with them, they make Tarjas voice really shine.

By the way, did anyone have a chance to try W3000 on Svetlana 2 and WA2 (ideally without upgrades)? I need to upgrade my dac/amp section and I am thinking going directly for big guns in amp department. I love how WA2 looks but I am bit concerned how it drives low impedance/high sensitive headphones like W3000, OTL design does not really favor this kind of headphones. I want good synergy and dead-silent background, right now I hear a lot of noise. I have heard only good things about Svetlana 2+W3000 combo, but thats 500$ on top of WA2 (well, maxxed WA2 is roughly 1500$ as well, so in case Maxxed WA2 vs Svetlana 2 I would go for Svetlana 2 without hesitation).

The Svetlana 2 thread had some impressions on the combination.  I think uelover has posted in this thread as well about the two.  

Feb 13, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #337 of 1,529
I am aware of good synergy between Svetlana 2 and W3000, I have read few impressions/reviews and apparently it's match made in heaven. On the other hand, there are almost none more in depth impression of WA2+W3000 combo. On paper, they should not really match, but specification isn't everything. Eventhough I am strongly leaning towards getting Svetlana 2, I want to check other options as well, and WA2 is an amp that I felt in love with at the first sight, it's stunningly beautiful :) (and in base version, 500$ cheaper).

Feb 13, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #338 of 1,529
Quote:
I am aware of good synergy between Svetlana 2 and W3000, I have read few impressions/reviews and apparently it's match made in heaven. On the other hand, there are almost none more in depth impression of WA2+W3000 combo. On paper, they should not really match, but specification isn't everything. Eventhough I am strongly leaning towards getting Svetlana 2, I want to check other options as well, and WA2 is an amp that I felt in love with at the first sight, it's stunningly beautiful :) (and in base version, 500$ cheaper).

The WA6SE is a better match than WA2 at the same price for W3000 (from what Woo Audio told me).i love the look of the Woo as well but I had more faith in Project86's words so I went for it. It went beyond my expectation and the Svetlana 2 is really a mighty amp for the W3000. Shipping is already included in the price so the price difference is less than 500. 

Feb 14, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #341 of 1,529
Quote:

Can't answer your other questions other than that the Asgard didn't work out that well with the W3000ANV. Can't speak for Bifrost/Lyr.

I find the W3000 to be great across every genre in general. It is an extremely versatile headphone and I can easily live with it as my only headphone. Had it for a year now.

Vocals is its killer but that doesn't mean it performs poorly in other area. Absolutely not.

Quote:
I did not own the Lyr and W3K concurrently but separate time spent with both would lead me to guess they are not a good match at all. These ATs are very sensitive for full sized cans and the Lyr is great with hard to drive headphones but not at all brilliant with something very sensitive.

Agree with uelover, the W3Ks are very versatile. I tend to use mine for anything intimate, studio recordings, and of course vocals - Stacey Kent & Sarah McLachlan for example are unbelievably good with these. The T1s do orchestral duty and anything where a larger sound stage is an important factor, or where I don't want anything messing with the timbre (piano). The D7Ks are for rock - especially live concerts - and when I want to enjoy the full impact of cello and double bass. Apart from that, for me it's less about genre and more about setting/staging/atmosphere.

The AT's get the most play time, followed by the Denons. (Partly because I listen to a lot of classical throughout the day, but using speakers.)

Thanks for the info!
This is what I suspected - W3K being very sensitive headphone probably won't work well with Lyr. I had this experience with my Denon D7000, too.

Feb 14, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #342 of 1,529
Quote:
There is a review on headpfonia that compares both
http://www.headfonia.com/wooden-kings-w1000x-w3000anv-and-w5000/

Thanks, I knew this review. I was looking for impressions from other users, too. However if the conclusions from the review fit the general consensus than I can say I've got the idea.

Feb 14, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #343 of 1,529
proszę

I can imagine the Denon's would be the same. I have come to love the D7K with a pioneer receiver - synergy is truly good, but you have to accept a small amount of background. The AT's, even though higher impedance, are more sensitive than the Denons making the background even more prevalent. I imagine the Lyr would be the same. For some music it goes completely unnoticed, but for some quiet vocals (stuff that the W3Ks adore) it does not.

Feb 14, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #344 of 1,529
Quote:
proszę

I can imagine the Denon's would be the same. I have come to love the D7K with a pioneer receiver - synergy is truly good, but you have to accept a small amount of background. The AT's, even though higher impedance, are more sensitive than the Denons making the background even more prevalent. I imagine the Lyr would be the same. For some music it goes completely unnoticed, but for some quiet vocals (stuff that the W3Ks adore) it does not.

dziękuję:)

Actually I remember playing my W5000 on Lyr, too. It had the problem with the background noise which wasn't a nice thing. Definitely I would need a different kind of amp for AT or Denon. Thanks for bringing it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back