The Audio Technica W3000ANV Thread
Jan 12, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #257 of 1,529
Frank, dallan - thanks for the V200 impressions. It sounds like a good match for the W3k. I'd love to be able to spring for a ZD, however it wouldn't be worth it - the return on investment would be drowned out by spousal sounds of disapproval.

I'll finish going through the V200 thread, but this looks like the best candidate to flesh out my sound stable. Apart from the ZD, it seems hard to find a consensus on a moderately priced, synergistic partner for these particular ATs.

Jan 13, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #258 of 1,529
Hello,

First post here, but been lurking I guess for over 6 years (is anyone able to top that? Lol)

My current setup is:
iPod classic > Wadia 171i dock/transport > Burson Conductor > ATH-W3000ANV

I've not listened to many different systems but to me, this combination is amazing enough to last me for quite a while. I also have HD800s which were also not bad with the Conductor, but since I got the W3000s a couple of days ago, I've spent most of the weekend just sitting and listening with a big silly grin on my face :)

It was actually the thread with the 50+ flagships compared that made me give in and buy the W3000s, and I'm really glad I did; I have nowhere near the audio experience David has, but his (and others') description of the W3000s having a euphonic, soulful sound was exactly what I was looking for, as a complement to the HD800s.

This addictive musicality, along with the beautiful design of the headphones themselves, and I don't believe I will ever give the W3000s up. Truly a special headphone in my opinion.

Jan 13, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #259 of 1,529
Congrats, welcome to Head Fi...  
biggrin.gif

Yes, these are very addictive.. I had mine before David posted his review.  I already new how addictive they were.  

Oh yeah...

Jan 14, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #260 of 1,529
Thanks preproman! Just wondering about something; I read in one of the old threads that due to the wood lacquer finish, it's best to keep these away from direct sunlight.. good advice?

Jan 14, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #262 of 1,529
Quote:
The v200 is wonderful with the w3000anv and you would think perfect not hearing anything else. It drives them well and is very full sounding. The Zana Deux is the other amp I routinely use with them. It is more dynamic and has a dead black background however is not as full sounding as the v200. The Zana Deux is in a league above the v200 and you can tell but there are atributes of the v200 that make it better in some ways for the w3000anv as well. Just a quick answer, maybe not sufficient....I'm at work peaking it ot on ipad mini. Good Luck, can't really go wrong with v200 in my opinion, well suited to wide range of phones.

I agree with the V200. It is an excellent solid state amp that has tremendous bass. I miss not having one in house. I loved it with my low impedance cans and it also sounds great using the balanced connections into my Oppo. i guess I will have to figure out how to get another one i  here again,

Jan 16, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #268 of 1,529
My first pair arrived today.

I have never had a pair of dynamics I put on my ears and just sounded so ....naturally right. Today I have had two.

The other one was the Grado HP-2.

However, while the HP-2 was used with a Liquid Fire, these were being driven by another unit. A recent acquisition:

I have never been blown away with anything in this hobby. But these gave me a nice little surprise. Hiromi should be happy the way her music sounds through these.

Hopefully my second pair will arrive soon :wink:

Jan 18, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #269 of 1,529
So I've had the W3000s for a week now, been listening every evening after getting back home and the sound is still as wonderful as it first appeared, if not even more so.

Just sounds naturally right as you say. Even though the colouration is obvious, it enhances without seeming to hide or take anything away. I can just set my playlist to random and the W3000s will make it such a pleasure to listen, whatever song comes up. Definitely my favourite headphone at the moment.

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #270 of 1,529
I have had my AT3000s for about a week now and I am really enjoying them. They are quite different from my LCD-3s which I have listened to exclusively for over a year now. The 3000s are so detailed yet natural sounding. They just let the music flow through. They are a little light on the bass but not terribly.

Currently I am listening to them with my Decware Taboo. Soon I will try them with my Leben 300.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back