The Audio Technica W3000ANV Thread
Jul 26, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #946 of 1,529

Initial impressions very different and depending what you like may be better or not, but different, not worse because of intensity details more noticeable.
Bass texture and size increased almost at a majestic level of finesse.

Mids no longer as prominent and seemingly more integrated or pushed back to sound balanced with rest of spectrum.
Less intimate and More sound stage but still not at level & size of my th600 soundstage.

Trebles two things..
Lower trebles seem in line with mids.
Upper highest trebles seem increased,
Leading to an apparent sense of more details,
The similar effect my th600 has with upper trebles.

So in effect you have a more authoritive balanced can with more impact yet less prominent mids more flat overall sound less audio-technica and more like a reference sound.

I am handing it over to my family member for his ear comments without telling him anything except it's a different sound. ..

Edit:
Ok they said the mids were slightly more recessed than flat compared to the higher amount of bass and trebles.
They liked the treble and bass was excellent. More clear and defined slight boost over stock

I just did this mod.

Bass definitely has more impact
I feel if anything treble dropped off a bit.
The mids definitely aren't as forward

If anything the bass is a bit overpowering to me now but damn, is it tight, impactful and deep.
Congestion cleared up a bit.

Only thing is I really had to stretch the alpha pads to get them on. I hope they'll fit back on my ADs!

Jul 26, 2014 at 5:18 AM Post #947 of 1,529
it's not doing the can any favours looks wise and it sounds like the mod has changed the can's sound signature which is n shaped. treble and bass take a back seat to the midrange with this can.

Jul 26, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #948 of 1,529
it's not doing the can any favours looks wise and it sounds like the mod has changed the can's sound signature which is n shaped. treble and bass take a back seat to the midrange with this can.

The n shaped wasn't enjoyable to me on a lot of genres but I question if the alpha pads helps to my ears.
I still might try switching pads to something like the mad dogs pads.

Jul 26, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #949 of 1,529
sure but that's the sound signature. a-t's have forward mids. how about applying a little eq instead of swapping pads?

Jul 26, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #950 of 1,529
sure but that's the sound signature. a-t's have forward mids. how about applying a little eq instead of swapping pads?

EQ doesn't seem to help much, if at all. They don't respond much to it. Even if I EQ the mids down they're still forward and congested.

The seal on the regular pads is still lousy. If I use my hands to puff up the pads while on my ears to improve the seal the bass already improves.
As for the treble a brighter amp or something.
I plan on buying the mad dogs pads to try with the AT w3000anv.

Jul 26, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #951 of 1,529
ok. well it is what it is. it has a distinctive sound and maybe it's not for you. dunno if trying to fundamentally change it is the way to go. good luck with it anyways.

Jul 26, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #953 of 1,529
think i know what he means but wouldn't describe it as congested. it hasn't got the most spacious sound but instrument separation is fine imo.

Jul 26, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #954 of 1,529
ok. well it is what it is. it has a distinctive sound and maybe it's not for you. dunno if trying to fundamentally change it is the way to go. good luck with it anyways.

I mean for my tastes I want to be able to hear music as naturally as possible so I'd aim for a more balanced sound and changing the pads just to change the seal basically fixes the bass right off the bat.

Jul 27, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #955 of 1,529
can't say i'm a fan of the look of your alpha pad mod tbh. :wink: didn't you offload your w3000anv anyway?

Yes I traded with member "mink70" for his hd800.
I miss the w3000anv and last I herd them was with the AlphaPads and alongside am lcd-x using the GS-X MKII amp and they were just glorious sounding and on similar level of impressive clarity and realism as the lcd-x, while both totally overshadowed the AlphaDogs as I listened all three on that amp.
I kind of miss that specific majestic
signature with the AlphaPads over my hd800 which I since anax2.0 moded,
So I got an he560 which finally gives me the mids magic that the w3000anv had in spades, but I find it a bit too linear on the bass so I am now going for the zmf vibro next..
The point is to stick with whatever works or you may wander endlessly with different cans..

Jul 27, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #957 of 1,529
Haha yeah and they all want to stay while I just can't keep them all lol.

Jul 30, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #958 of 1,529
  Glad i like the sound. Not congested at all using the Zana Deux amp.

EQ doesn't seem to help much, if at all. They don't respond much to it. Even if I EQ the mids down they're still forward and congested.

The seal on the regular pads is still lousy. If I use my hands to puff up the pads while on my ears to improve the seal the bass already improves.

I have a Zana as well and they are not congested sounding. They are forward because they are midrange-focused closed headphones. It also has more bass than HD800 through the same Zana. Maybe you guys ought to put it on a proper amp?

Jul 30, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #959 of 1,529

Glad i like the sound. Not congested at all using the Zana Deux amp.

I have a Zana as well and they are not congested sounding. They are forward because they are midrange-focused closed headphones. It also has more bass than HD800 through the same Zana. Maybe you guys ought to put it on a proper amp?

Haven't had a chance to try it on higher end amps. Will soon though.
I know it has more bass than the HD800 but that's not exactly a balanced headphone either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back