The Audio Technica W3000ANV Thread
Jun 17, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #916 of 1,529
hear what you're saying but there are times when i want the clarity, impact and soundstage of the th900 over the w3000anv

With the Alpha pads on the w3000anv,
It gains a larger stage more similar to a th900,
And you would be amazed how beautifully balanced I found it to be.
More balanced, nuanced, and less forward than the original pads.
:)

Jun 17, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #917 of 1,529
can't say i'm a fan of the look of your alpha pad mod tbh. :wink: didn't you offload your w3000anv anyway?

Jun 17, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #918 of 1,529

hear what you're saying but there are times when i want the clarity, impact and soundstage of the th900 over the w3000anv

With the Alpha pads on the w3000anv,
It gains a larger stage more similar to a th900,
And you would be amazed how beautifully balanced I found it to be.
More balanced, nuanced, and less forward than the original pads.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sounds very interesting.  I already find incredibly nuanced, but could use "less forward".

Do they fit easily?  I thought the alpha pads were not round, like the W3000.

Jul 3, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #919 of 1,529
Bought myself a W3000anv as a trade in for my th900.
The W3000anv just sounds like a solid step forward for me. So much smoother but it is definitely more forward
I quite enjoy them but does anyone have any ideas on keeping the headphones in place on your head? I've heard of using an elastic band but I don't know

Jul 3, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #922 of 1,529
just interested in your opinion about their strengths and weaknesses - that kind of thing

Jul 4, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #923 of 1,529
The W3000anv just sounds like a solid step forward for me. So much smoother but it is definitely more forward
I quite enjoy them but does anyone have any ideas on keeping the headphones in place on your head? I've heard of using an elastic band but I don't know

I just let them sit and rest there. Once used to it it is natural.

Jul 5, 2014 at 3:15 AM Post #924 of 1,529

I just let them sit and rest there. Once used to it it is natural.

I had to add a rubber band to the 3d wing design to give myself more clamping force. I'm not sure if its the shape of my head but without extra clamping / more force keeping it up they just slide down and start resting on the top of my ears which causes discomfort to me very quickly.
I had the same problem with the Beyer T5p when I owned it.

Anyway, muchy more comfortable now.

Jul 5, 2014 at 4:21 AM Post #925 of 1,529
W3000 are unique. I've plan to buy TH900 for opposite and complementarity flavour.

Jul 5, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #927 of 1,529
W3000 are unique. I've plan to buy TH900 for opposite and complementarity flavour.

Definitely a good idea. I'm planning that as well but if I can get more sound out of the W3000anv I'd rather spend on an amp first. Also need to buy myself portables (aiming at the alpha dogs)

@ gl1tch3d - agree with your impressions

@ r one - agree with your plan

If you have more experience with it, what did you find changed going from weaker to stronger amps?
I may or may not have the time to go try amps sometime soon but would like an idea of what to expect first.

Jul 5, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #928 of 1,529
sorry - can't help you there. not sure if the w3000anv responds to more powerful amping. it is a sensitive and efficient can that really shouldn't require much power to drive it. other owners will probably weigh in on this topic. :wink:

Jul 5, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #929 of 1,529
sorry - can't help you there. not sure if the w3000anv responds to more powerful amping. it is a sensitive and efficient can that really shouldn't require much power to drive it. other owners will probably weigh in on this topic. :wink:

May as well tried. I remember with the T5p (regardless of whether I disliked it or not), it still benefited in terms of fullness from a portable amp.
If I try my friend's custom tube amp (very strong and transparent) I'll have a good idea of the effectiveness of extra power on this efficient set of headphones.
I know from grados which are also efficient that this probably won't benefit me much but it won't cost me anything to try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back