The Audio Technica W3000ANV Thread
Nov 24, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #706 of 1,529
Since the original wire is both high quality and of collertor value (the wooden plug),
I would definitely recommend either keeping it intact or at least saving it if you decide to go fancy expensive and questionably placibo effective "xlr" type plugs.
:p

Nov 24, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #707 of 1,529
Darn, looks like the only ones that fit my ears are the LCDs and Hd800s. Guess I'll head back to my IEM world. Thanks for the replies.

Actually the W3000anv feels more like an On-Ear rather than Over-Ear.

Nov 24, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #708 of 1,529
tried on-ears and the w3000anv doesn't fit like them. it does clamp tho - well mine does anyways.

Nov 25, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #709 of 1,529
Not exactly, but they certainly don't feel like typical over ear headphones either.

Nov 25, 2013 at 5:59 AM Post #710 of 1,529
Failed Engineer

I currently own both.  The W3000ANV are shallower.  My ears touch the cups.  They don't touch the TH900.

That is actually impossible. Between your ear and the cherrywood shell / cup there is first a soft mesh that keeps the dust and dirt away from the fragile diaphragm of the driver and then there is the rest of the mechanism of the driver.

EveTan
Darn, looks like the only ones that fit my ears are the LCDs and Hd800s. Guess I'll head back to my IEM world. Thanks for the replies.

For those whose ears size well exceeds the standard and fitting size of a normal ear and /or whose ears prominently stick out from one's head at an angle greater than 35-40 degrees, there is always the possibility of the corrective plastic surgery. W3000ANV are such good headphones that it is worth the trouble of going through the corrective ear surgery in order to be able to listen to them in comfort.
http://www.earreconstruction.co.uk/prominent_stick_out_ears.php
http://www.esteticaief.com.ar/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=15&Itemid=27&lang=en
http://www.plasticsurgery4u.com/procedure_folder/ears/big/reduce_ear_size.html

Nov 25, 2013 at 6:31 AM Post #711 of 1,529
For me these headphones have a nice fit. Outer parts of my pinna touches the pad ever so slightly, but it doesn't feel uncomfortable at all. I actually think that they are somewhat more comfortable than my Denon d7000. I'd say they definitely remind me more of a over ear headphone than on ear one. (Maybe I have smaller ears than average...
redface.gif

Nov 29, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #713 of 1,529

EveTan

For those whose ears size well exceeds the standard and fitting size of a normal ear and /or whose ears prominently stick out from one's head at an angle greater than 35-40 degrees, there is always the possibility of the corrective plastic surgery. W3000ANV are such good headphones that it is worth the trouble of going through the corrective ear surgery in order to be able to listen to them in comfort.
http://www.earreconstruction.co.uk/prominent_stick_out_ears.php
http://www.esteticaief.com.ar/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=15&Itemid=27&lang=en
http://www.plasticsurgery4u.com/procedure_folder/ears/big/reduce_ear_size.html

I've actually had that kind of surgery on my eyes. Wow that was a scary situation. Not going back under the knife unless I absolutely have to :p. My cousin actually underwent that ear surgery. 

Dec 6, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #714 of 1,529
Hi, I would appreciate a little advice here. On the right side of my headphone, sound goes out once in a while, and when I wiggle the headphone cable, sound would come back. It use happen once every week or so, now it happens all the time. The question is, would recabling the headphone solve the problem, and if it does, how should I research my recabling options (I dont believe any functional cable enhances sound quality, but aesthetics matter). Thanks for any future replies

Dec 8, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #717 of 1,529
At my local store in Taiwan. They still have a brand new 3000anv and esw11ltd if anyone is looking for one.

Dec 8, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #718 of 1,529
I just got my TH-900. My other closed headphones are the ATH-W3000ANV. Here's how they compare:

TH-900 Advantages:
(-) More comfortable. They surround the ears, while the W3000ANV press on the ears.
(-) Bigger soundstage
(-) More impactful bass, but it can intrude too much

W3000ANV Advantages:
(-) More detailed sound
(-) Better midrange. The midrange is noticeably recessed on the TH-900.
(-) Better vocals - on the TH-900, vocals sound somewhat distant.
(-) Somewhat better isolation. The TH-900 isolate less than I expected.

The bottom line is that I prefer the sound of the W3000ANV, but I can't really use them for sessions longer than 1-2 hours due to comfort issues (particularly when wearing my glasses).

Dec 8, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #719 of 1,529
just got the th900 too. hearing it a bit different to you. don't think the w3000anv is more detailed - other way around if anything. th900 has more bass weight and extension when it's needed. w3000anv's mids are more forward but they're colored. th900 sounds more reference IMO.

Dec 8, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #720 of 1,529
just got the th900 too. hearing it a bit different to you. don't think the w3000anv is more detailed. th900 has more bass weight and extension when it's needed. w3000anv's mids are more forward but they're colored. th900 sounds more reference IMO.

The recessed mids of the TH-900 make them sound less detailed and like something is missing. The somewhat distant vocals are also a significant disadvantage. I don't think you can call them reference with these issues. I would consider the SR-009 to be reference.

The W3000ANV aren't reference either, but they have a sweet magical quality to their sound which is very engaging. I just wish I could install the TH-900 pads on the W3000ANV!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back