The Audio Lounge
May 18, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #30,076 of 36,079
The last time I tried a VPN, it was way more trouble than it was worth!

Paid version of Zenmate that Tom set up many years ago using my PayPal account . Still auto renewing every year I could stop it but then what would I use?

May 18, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #30,077 of 36,079
I wonder what VPN that you are using?

I've tried several out over the years, and the best VPN for me has been Surfshark. It has a high ease of general use (so my non tech oriented wife can use it as well), plus it's available on all our different devices. I never connect to any wifi away from the house without the VPN on. Also, Surfshark has a large amount of servers all over the world which allows us to take advantage of streaming services like Netflix's full libraries. And when you need more in depth security features, it has them as well. Nord VPN and IPVanish are also very decent VPNs.

What was the VPN that you tried that was a pain?

May 18, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #30,078 of 36,079
I roll my own VPN with Tailscale.

May 18, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #30,079 of 36,079
I've got a subscription for Nord VPN, but when first trying it on my Linux PC, accessing Facebook using Firefox wouldn't work - because there's no servers here where I live, so it kept asking me where I was, and to re-login. After that, I disabled the VPN, and stopped trying to use it.

May 18, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #30,080 of 36,079
I've tried several out over the years, and the best VPN for me has been Surfshark. It has a high ease of general use (so my non tech oriented wife can use it as well), plus it's available on all our different devices. I never connect to any wifi away from the house without the VPN on. Also, Surfshark has a large amount of servers all over the world which allows us to take advantage of streaming services like Netflix's full libraries. And when you need more in depth security features, it has them as well. Nord VPN and IPVanish are also very decent VPNs.

What was the VPN that you tried that was a pain?
Thanks for that YoungDude! :ksc75smile::deadhorse:

I will check it out over the next few weeks.

The one that I tried before was a free trial and it was a total disaster. It was about a year ago and it messed up Windows 10.

I can't remember what it was but I did a full fresh install of Windows after it.

I have just started a free 1 week trial of the one that Mary suggested and I have just started watching something on BBC IPlayer.

May 18, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #30,081 of 36,079
Yeah Pod! What the fuzz is that one?
I did not know there were also pre-requisites to the kind of music just that "Wicked" had to be in the title! First I post too many now I post too odd :rolling_eyes: As Rodney would say this is a tough crowd :scream:

So none of those work for ya eh, try this one on then :wink:

May 18, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #30,082 of 36,079
I did not know there were also pre-requisites to the kind of music just that "Wicked" had to be in the title! First I post too many now I post too odd :rolling_eyes: As Rodney would say this is a tough crowd :scream:

So none of those work for ya eh, try this one on then :wink:

I thought that was in reference to the middle one that is blocked over here... so all we see is the unavailable notice. Still don't know what the song is. It's one reason I like to type the artist and song title above the video.

I don't know why this happens. I could not see groucho''s third one either. Guess I need to put the vpn on my tablet because sometimes (most of the time) it is too painful to sit at the PC. Still a lot of aftereffects from Covid. Long Covid it seems.

May 18, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #30,084 of 36,079
BTW, what a great pick of yours!

I am listening to a load of her stuff right now, thanks to you!

I wonder what VPN that you are using?

https://awnateixeira.bandcamp.com/
The best VPN I've used is ExpressVPN. Plugs into your browser, or you can run a client for whatever OS you run from. Not to bad in the price category either. We use this at work. It's super fast too.

https://www.expressvpn.com/

May 18, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #30,086 of 36,079
This music is good, but it's the second comment on the video that's GREAT!
The comment, by "ILikeLobsters", is "I have successfully convinced my mother that this is Christmas music." :ksc75smile:
(There are 31K Likes, and 234 comments, for that comment.)
One Hour of Medieval EMINEM ("The Real Slim Shady", "Lose Yourself", "Without Me", "Godzilla", "Stan", + more!) (2021) -

Last edited:
May 18, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #30,087 of 36,079
I love how those old school amp dac stacks look, but yeah, they do not fit into a pocket as well as any modern DAP. I still use my fiio X3, especially because of the old-school clickwheel, I love the tactile feedback. It's something no touchscreen can replicate for me.
+1= Fiio X3ii

May 18, 2022 at 6:54 PM Post #30,088 of 36,079
Hey @Midgetguy! It's been a minute or seven, lol. How is everything?

Windows 11 is better than 10 but only slightly really, not anything drastic you'll be missing.

It's a real car photo, but not one I took. I found it at a wallpaper website and I'm a sucker for a Midnight Purple III painted R34.

Glad you found some wireless that you're enjoying with the Sony set. I still haven't made that move because I agree with you that we aren't at a place that wireless sound comes close to wired. I'm looking forward to when it does though.
Feels like it's been ages, love seeing the group's been having a great time in the lounge :beerchug:
I'll probably go to Win11 when I build a new computer, probably next year or two. Towards the end of next year is when the core of my computer (processor/motherboard) will be 10 years old. In the computing world, this thing is ANCIENT :sweat_smile:. And then I'll put together another computer where the core will again probably go for another decade. I just change my GPU every couple of generations which seems reasonable enough as a gamer.

i am happy with them, too. but xm5 was just announced and i pre-ordered them :p - 8 mics for even better anc + much better voice calls.
I haven't gotten on the ANC headphone train, just the IEMs. The XM5s are a tiny bit less portable since they don't fold anymore, but they do continue to look stellar. At a desk, I'm still rocking the HD600/TH-X00 duo and if I'm moving around, I prefer not to have headphones. Since they announced the XM5 headphones though, I'm going to guess that the XM5 IEMs won't arrive for probably close to another year. I can't imagine how they can fit more mics into this small thing the way they can with a whole headphone chassis! Honestly, there's just some work on default frequency tuning of these things along with shell ergonomics and these are pretty much as perfect as you could make a set of wireless IEMs. I could also just EQ it a bit since I use Foobar as my player on my phone anyway, but I find the so-called consumer V-shape to be honestly the way to go for my musical tastes and usage. I think something that always gets lost in reviewing is that usage really affects how you're intaking sounds. I like a little extra warmth in my general sound signature anyway so that part is good, though I'm well aware it's quite elevated; the extra gain on the upper registers is apparent in the same way, but I don't find it all that exaggerated in actual use. My analysis of that is because when moving around with all the hustle and bustle, the top and bottom ends are inherently going to be tempered a bit; high frequency external noises mix in along with the low rumbles and inner body conduction just from walking around. So actually, moving around and in high-multi noise areas, the V-shaped "consumer" sound signature doesn't feel all that boosted in either frequencies; it certainly feels more neutral (but still definitely v-shaped) moving around and such as compared to listening when sitting down in a quiet place. That's when those boosted upper/lower frequencies are much more noticeable, but the levels seem far more appropriate when moving, whether it be walking or working out.

May 18, 2022 at 6:59 PM Post #30,089 of 36,079
After @Richsvt posted his legacy stack and everyone chatting about it…. I was like, wait a second, I stack now with my current DAP and transportable amp. So stacking isn’t dead! Great stack by the way.

AB2EE4F1-D804-4ABA-96F0-7E5F62F744FE.jpeg

F6416717-C132-4717-BDEF-D4000C607A16.jpeg

AE70F832-E21C-477C-BECF-6799FA1C3488.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back