The Audio Lounge
May 17, 2022 at 6:19 PM Post #30,046 of 36,382
I drove a 2003 crown Vic for 300,000 k till it died Nov 2017….this is the price of permanent unemployment. Bought a new 2018 Honda Accord touring 2.0 , paid cash, hope to keep it another 300,000 before I leave this mortal coil.

May 17, 2022 at 6:32 PM Post #30,047 of 36,382
I drove a 2003 crown Vic for 300,000 k till it died Nov 2017….this is the price of permanent unemployment. Bought a new 2018 Honda Accord touring 2.0 , paid cash, hope to keep it another 300,000 before I leave this mortal coil.
Dude, I’m totally into fast cars. I couldn’t drive a Honda. Even the Si is too slow for me. Fortunately Audi was kind enough to put out the S4 that is affordable, that you can tune to your hearts content. You can get to 600 HP easily with just a ECU tune. Then throw in a ultracharger and headers with a new exhaust and you have close to super car specs.

May 17, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #30,048 of 36,382
I love cars, the looks, the sounds. But just an fyi, the accord 2.0 has a 4 cylinder turbo 10 speed, in sport mode it throws you into your seat with a 4.9 60. Blows me away and a little scary. Now it’s no hurricane or ford gt, but you know, trade offs. I’m cool with it. I drive in green leaf economy mode mostly lol
Dude, I’m totally into fast cars. I couldn’t drive a Honda. Even the Si is too slow for me. Fortunately Audi was kind enough to put out the S4 that is affordable, that you can tune to your hearts content. You can get to 600 HP easily with just a ECU tune. Then throw in a ultracharger and headers with a new exhaust and you have close to super car specs.

May 17, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #30,049 of 36,382
This awesome hi-res audio player shows why the iPod had to die

1652830922228.png

May 17, 2022 at 7:43 PM Post #30,050 of 36,382
I’d get AK if I was in need and felt my wallet needed to bleed.

May 17, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #30,051 of 36,382
I think I had every generation of iPod. For what it was back then, wasn't a bad platform. Had the classic in a stack with external dac and amp. Thought it was the epitome of sound. Funny how things change. I am sad at the ipod departure. It was, for me, an entry into this crazy gear that seems to surround us all.
1652833510048.png

May 17, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #30,052 of 36,382
I think I had every generation of iPod. For what it was back then, wasn't a bad platform. Had the classic in a stack with external dac and amp. Thought it was the epitome of sound. Funny how things change. I am sad at the ipod departure. It was, for me, an entry into this crazy gear that seems to surround us all.
It’s crazy how things change so fast. Now with DAPs that stack is rolled into one sweet piece of gear that is many times more powerful. Moore’s Law works for Audio too.

May 17, 2022 at 9:27 PM Post #30,053 of 36,382
I wasn't suggesting the Opus Mias themselves really, only because of the reason you stated. Lord knows I'm never selling mine, lol. But since you're looking for a jump in bass quality/quantity and a nice high end with a good sound stage I was thinking the $370 Zenith 2's might be a great option. It has the 14.2mm carbon nanotube driver with the piezoelectric tweeter and is able to be open or closed back. The only thing it's really missing from the Opus Mia's is the dual electrostatics, but the price is half as much. I've owned the Zenith 1's and they were quite good. Or like @jerick70 suggested, the EDP Ace with its planar and bone conduction for just over $300 is another good option.

Received an email from IMR, announcing wait lists for some of their out of production models, that previous customers can sign up on - and when there at least 20 names, they'll build a small run of the IEMs. If I hadn't already ordered the Elan+, I wouldn't be getting the email - but having ordered the Elan+, I don't feel I can afford the Opus Mia... :thinking: :wink:

Does the Opus Mia connect directly to any headphone amp, or does it require special connections due to the high frequency drivers?

May 17, 2022 at 10:05 PM Post #30,054 of 36,382
1652833510048.png
Yep. Still have a Rockboxed 30gb Video that was strapped with many a Fiio amp. It works and I still keep it for nostalgia, but has not been turned on for years. A couple of SanDisk players were my gateway to the rabbit hole, but the iPod was very special for what it was and for what it offered.

May 17, 2022 at 10:30 PM Post #30,055 of 36,382
Received an email from IMR, announcing wait lists for some of their out of production models, that previous customers can sign up on - and when there at least 20 names, they'll build a small run of the IEMs. If I hadn't already ordered the Elan+, I wouldn't be getting the email - but having ordered the Elan+, I don't feel I can afford the Opus Mia... :thinking: :wink:

Does the Opus Mia connect directly to any headphone amp, or does it require special connections due to the high frequency drivers?

It's just like any other IEM, connects using a regular IEM cable. No special connection required. I use mine connected to my Hiby R5 via the 4.4mm jack. I will say they like a bit more power than my other IEMs. I'm currently missing mine like crazy, they are taking the long trip back to IMR for a repair.

May 18, 2022 at 4:17 AM Post #30,056 of 36,382
Anyway, for anyone that recognizes me, haven't gotten anything new in the audio space for years until recently. Just got a set of Sony WF-1000XM4s. Atrocious name, quite acceptable otherwise. Sound signature is very much a V, but it's a pretty quality V at least. The noise canceling is fantastic to have walking around and I certainly don't miss wires. Nice convenient device for work and the commute. Doesn't get close audio-wise to my old 64Audio U6 of course, but I'll be one happy guy the day wireless audio can match that. It would be convenience and sound quality all at once which just isn't yet something that I feel we've achieved yet.
i am happy with them, too. but xm5 was just announced and i pre-ordered them :p - 8 mics for even better anc + much better voice calls.

May 18, 2022 at 4:43 AM Post #30,057 of 36,382
i am happy with them, too. but xm5 was just announced and i pre-ordered them :p - 8 mics for even better anc + much better voice calls.
What! Why answer your phone while listening to your music! :ksc75smile:

The release date on Amazon UK is 20th May for the new Sony WH-1000XM5. Not sure if I will bite, but I will wait until they are in stock for a more likely quicker delivery.

I had both the Sony XM3 & XM4 versions. I preferred the sound better on the M3, which to me had better midrange and less bass dominance.

Though the XM4 has better ANC. Also for some reason I felt that the pads on the XM3 were less sweat inducing.

To me, they both lacked the top end detail that I crave, which is why I ended up parting with them.

Last edited:
May 18, 2022 at 5:50 AM Post #30,058 of 36,382
It’s crazy how things change so fast. Now with DAPs that stack is rolled into one sweet piece of gear that is many times more powerful. Moore’s Law works for Audio too.
I love how those old school amp dac stacks look, but yeah, they do not fit into a pocket as well as any modern DAP. I still use my fiio X3, especially because of the old-school clickwheel, I love the tactile feedback. It's something no touchscreen can replicate for me.

May 18, 2022 at 6:47 AM Post #30,059 of 36,382
Tell me about it and add a phone and cck attachment.. not complaining if I’m active or it’s warm enough for no jacket pocket, I go to iPhone only. So I flirted with buying a dap as well, ak sp2000 but you know perma unemployed and do I want another gadget that makes my hugo well, useless. I love my hugo……
510C72B9-674F-4BD8-970F-BE7E22561C3B.jpeg

May 18, 2022 at 10:34 AM Post #30,060 of 36,382
I meant to do my Word of the Week days ago. Now it is almost too late so I will just do the one that popped into my mind when I first saw the word.

The title song from an album that Tom and I both loved.

Awna Teixieira - Where the Darkness Goes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back