The Audio Lounge
Oct 14, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #27,992 of 36,018
AB7261ED-2C81-4EB6-9475-8FC9640E9AFE.jpeg

Beau Dommage (Beautiful Compassion - it makes more sense in French) was a Montreal, Quebec musical group, 1974-78, 1994-95. Their peak years were in the seventies. “Ou est passée la noce” ? (Where has the wedding ceremony gone ? - the album title is a metaphor for life changes, relationships, time going by, etc.) This was the group‘s second album which went Platinum. One of Quebec’s/ Canada’s most talented musical group.

The most popular song on the album “Le Blues d’la Métropole“ (The Métropole Blues - Metropole refers to Montréal, QC).

The first line/ lyrics is : ”En ‘67 tout était beau, c’était l’année d’lamour, c’était l’année d’lExpo …” (In ‘67 everything was beautiful, it was the year [Summer] of love, it was the year of the Expo [the Montreal International Expo put the city on the world map] ) …

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #27,993 of 36,018
Sorry just kinda meandering and ranting.

Something thats been gnawing at my mind are my predisposed beliefs on cables making a difference but I went overboard in spending vs using that cash to get even better components.

I have about $5k worth of cables (retail total) in my chain. While I didn't actually pay that much its still a considerable amount that could be redirected to perhaps a total revamp of my system.

Ive grown to learn more about my tastes and realize that I could use that cash to get perhaps an Abyss 1266 or a Susvara and complimentary amplification and source.
That would require me to sell off practically everything which Im not entirely opposed to but I thoroughly enjoy my current rig so Im not really GASing. I bet that would change if I were to hear and upgrade though!

Im not saying that cables don't make a difference everytime but I think I don't care. Ive played electric bass for 15 years and I always skimped out on cables. Mogami are considered high end in that realm and only the pros drop those eighty bucks for a darn cable. (Mind you guitar cables are stepped on, thrown around, etc)
The day I started making a better income I bought myself a new bass and picked up a mogami gold and upon plugging it in there was a difference which was probably the better shielding.
Eitherway the difference was noticeable enough that my boutique bass sounded that much closer to the famous (in the bass world) studio recordings of that tone.
I was impressed and realized that perhaps I was wrong in skimping out on cables for so much time.

Fastfoward to the COVID era and Im bored and decided to pimp out my rig with "audiophile" cables. I like the bling. I think Norne and DHC are the sexiest things around (I don't own any of those brands but I think I have a cable fetish) but whether they make a difference or not I just don't want to care. Deep down my mind is telling me its not worth it. Sell off your cables and lets play with the idea of a 1266 or Susvara instead....

I love the head-fi community and like the informative people over at ASR. I'd never personally argue with an electrical engineer but I also like to trust my ears. My wallet though is telling me I could still get something better with our money. Mogami/Canare (anyone know of any power cables of similar quality?) are the studio standards. Who am I to argue with those results? I could buy some from Amazon for under $40 and call it a day.

I feel neurotic after typing this out and re-reading it. :jecklinsmile::jecklinsmile:

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #27,996 of 36,018
Nothing wrong in loving expensive cables I keep telling myself

Oct 16, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #27,998 of 36,018
4366ddcf1ecfc8674faa706f0cac7c4b.jpg

Oct 16, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #27,999 of 36,018
227b407fd8af112344579c0dea5d945c.jpg

Oct 16, 2021 at 10:08 PM Post #28,000 of 36,018
Was looking for a cheap open-backed to have some good bass and also give some decent staging. Picked up a Fostex T20RP. OOTB, hate the pads but have some good ones on the way. It likes a lot of power but even with the N3P and DX160, some pretty good sounds (it's SE terminated). It's funny that I like the tuning of this rather the Dekoni Blue I had. Just a fun sounding piece.
1634436458295.png

Oct 17, 2021 at 5:38 AM Post #28,001 of 36,018
Hey all just a quick pop in so thought I would say hi.
@Richsvt sent me a quick PM after seeing my recent for sale ads, caught me sneaking in ....I'm pretty much out really, still like my nice Audio and still own a few bits but I have recently moved a lot over to Bluetooth, it in no way is as good as my wired gear but the margins are definitely getting smaller and what with the convenience rolled in I just seem to be using it more, especially on the go and at work .
I'm also not using a dap on the go anymore either as I recently upgraded my phone to the new Sony Xperia x1iii and being totally honest I love the sound using there software integrated with the phones hardware, I also received a pair of FREE Sony wh-1000xm3 a few weeks ago and really like them, there not audiophile a bit too much bass for my tastes, staging could be a bit wider and on occasion with the wrong tracks can sound a bit muddy ....but they have excellent mids and layering and some of the best vocals I have heard at times especially with hi Res music, the ANC is truly awesome on these too as is battery life , finding again I'm just enjoying them and the freedom of no wires ....I have tried these with various sources but they seem to work and sound at there best using my Sony phone ldac and there software , tried them on my dx,160 and they were ok but not a patch on my phone ....
I'm also using a pair of soundpeats h1 which on the go I really like, they aren't as smooth as my comets which I was using and the comets in ways are better. Again way to much bass, trebles rolled off a tad and mids/vocals can sound a bit rough/off on occasion, but these have excellent layering/staging and the crossover works a charm making them very enjoyable...
battery life is amazing on these 11 hours one charge and case will charge 4 times, also with a decent android phone I have NEVER once had a drop out unless going too far away.
so I there you go I have gone from audiophile to consumer :scream::scream::scream:...the shame of it! Lol
honestly though both stand out products , there not gonna beat your Andromeda, comets, Ananda but the margins are closing much more than I ever thought they would and if you just want to enjoy music without the dissection then both are pretty good.
anyway hope you are are all good and well and not been remortgaging for the next best thing:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.
also I want to send a quick shout to @mbwilson111 as I'm so sorry I haven't been in touch , I have actually been a bit I'll this year so my focus has been juggling work and illness ...don't worry I'm still going ok and here to annoy everyone.... hope your well Mary.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2021 at 6:05 AM Post #28,002 of 36,018
Hey all just a quick pop in so thought I would say hi.
@Richsvt sent me a quick PM after seeing my recent for sale ads, caught me sneaking in ....I'm pretty much out really, still like my nice Audio and still own a few bits but I have recently moved a lot over to Bluetooth, it in no way is as good as my wired gear but the margins are definitely getting smaller and what with the convenience rolled in I just seem to be using it more, especially on the go and at work .
I'm also not using a dap on the go anymore either as I recently upgraded my phone to the new Sony Xperia x1iii and being totally honest I love the sound using there software integrated with the phones hardware, I also received a pair of FREE Sony wf-1000xm3 a few weeks ago and really like them, there not audiophile a bit too much bass for my tastes, staging could be a bit wider and on occasion with the wrong tracks can sound a bit muddy ....but they have excellent mids and layering and some of the best vocals I have heard at times especially with hi Res music, the ANC is truly awesome on these too as is battery life , finding again I'm just enjoying them and the freedom of no wires ....I have tried these with various sources but they seem to work and sound at there best using my Sony phone ldac and there software , tried them on my dx,160 and they were ok but not a patch on my phone ....
I'm also using a pair of soundpeats h1 which on the go I really like, they aren't as smooth as my comets which I was using and the comets in ways are better. Again way to much bass, trebles rolled off a tad and mids/vocals can sound a bit rough/off on occasion, but these have excellent layering/staging and the crossover works a charm making them very enjoyable...
battery life is amazing on these 11 hours one charge and case will charge 4 times, also with a decent android phone I have NEVER once had a drop out unless going too far away.
so I there you go I have gone from audiophile to consumer :scream::scream::scream:...the shame of it! Lol
honestly though both stand out products , there not gonna beat your Andromeda, comets, Ananda but the margins are closing much more than I ever thought they would and if you just want to enjoy music without the dissection then both are pretty good.
anyway hope you are are all good and well and not been remortgaging for the next best thing:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.
also I want to send a quick shout to @mbwilson111 as I'm so sorry I haven't been in touch , I have actually been a bit I'll this year so my focus has been juggling work and illness ...don't worry I'm still going ok and here to annoy everyone.... hope your well Mary.
Good to see you pop in! Hope your health improves and glad to see you enjoying your music, whatever the gear is you're playing it on! :)

Oct 17, 2021 at 6:25 AM Post #28,003 of 36,018
Good to see you pop in! Hope your health improves and glad to see you enjoying your music, whatever the gear is you're playing it on! :)
Thanks my friend hope your well as I know you too have a few things going on ...I will always love my music and still listen to iems/or headphones virtually every day, one of the standout albums for me this year has been Moby's "reprise" album it's reworkings of his hits done more in a acoustic/classical style ...check out tracks " natural blues" with Gregory porter "strange ways" and reworking of David Bowie "Heroes"
Really like this album although all tastes differ.

Oct 17, 2021 at 6:32 AM Post #28,004 of 36,018
Hey Majo, glad to hear that you are still hanging in there! The last couple of years have been absolutely crazy. Hope that things return to normal within the next 20 years! :ksc75smile:

How is that dog of yours been keeping? I hope that he has not bitten your hand off.

Oct 17, 2021 at 6:33 AM Post #28,005 of 36,018
Hey Majo, glad to hear that you are still hanging in there! The last couple of years have been absolutely crazy. Hope that things return to normal within the next 20 years! :ksc75smile:

How is that dog of yours been keeping? I hope that he has not bitten your hand off.
Hey dude I'm good ish hope your well too , she's still well and great company ...she's right next to me now ... sleeping as usual! Lazy pooch.
Hows tricks with you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back