The Audio Lounge
May 7, 2020 at 7:21 AM Post #24,256 of 36,107
Question for anyone who uses Linux --- Which software do you use to rip Audio CDs?
I have installed JRiver MC26, and it works well for tagging & playing music files - but it is missing the ability to detect and read CD drives on Linux. :astonished: It's apparently still on the developer's to-do list. :thinking:
Thanks for any insight on getting my CDs ripped.
Which windows manager are you using? I prefer K3b for KDE and sound juicier for gnome. K3b is my favorite. You will have to install quite a few packages if you are not using KDE, bit it's worth the foot print IMO.

May 7, 2020 at 7:38 AM Post #24,257 of 36,107
Hey Jerick and guys, what free anti virus and firewall programs do you recommend?

I used to be big into trying all the available programs but don't bother anymore when using Windows 10 as it has a decent anti virus but not so sure about the firewall aspect. I used to keep an eye on AV-Test results but have not in the last few years.

Last edited:
May 7, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #24,258 of 36,107
Hey Jerick and guys, what free anti virus and firewall programs do you recommend?

I used to be big into trying all the available programs but don't bother anymore when using Windows 10 as it has a decent anti virus but not so sure about the firewall aspect. I used to keep an eye of AV-Test results but have not in the last few years.
For antivirus, I really like Kaspersky. I've used it for years.

https://usa.kaspersky.com/free-cloud-antivirus

For a free firewall zone alarm and glassware.

https://www.zonealarm.com/software/free-firewall

https://www.glasswire.com/?os=win

May 7, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #24,260 of 36,107
Earlier this week the UV light for sterilizing arrived. Tom had mentioned it the day before he died... wondering where it was. I have not opened it yet and have no idea how to use it.

This arrived from China today for him I have no idea what it is. One of you has to know. Or, maybe I am the only one who does not.

R0016536.JPG

May 7, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #24,261 of 36,107
Ex
Earlier this week the UV light for sterilizing arrived. Tom had mentioned it the day before he died... wondering where it was. I have not opened it yet and have no idea how to use it.

This arrived from China today for him I have no idea what it is. One of you has to know. Or, maybe I am the only one who does not.

R0016536.JPG
Looks like a bit like a power bank

May 7, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #24,262 of 36,107

I used to be big into trying all the available programs but don't bother anymore when using Windows 10 as it has a decent anti virus but not so sure about the firewall aspect. I used to keep an eye on AV-Test results but have not in the last few years.

I found Avast and AVG bogged everything down. My start up improved 95% getting them off the C drive (AVG is particularly stubborn to remove). Now I'm using Comodo. Even when it does a complete scan (you have no idea who many attached drives I have) everything is smooth.

May 7, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #24,263 of 36,107
I found Avast and AVG bogged everything down. My start up improved 95% getting them off the C drive (AVG is particularly stubborn to remove). Now I'm using Comodo. Even when it does a complete scan (you have no idea who many attached drives I have) everything is smooth.
Cloud AV is the future of computer security. Another promising AV is next gen computer security like Carbon Black.

May 7, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #24,264 of 36,107
Question for anyone who uses Linux --- Which software do you use to rip Audio CDs?
I have installed JRiver MC26, and it works well for tagging & playing music files - but it is missing the ability to detect and read CD drives on Linux. :astonished: It's apparently still on the developer's to-do list. :thinking:
Thanks for any insight on getting my CDs ripped.

When on Linux, I’ve always used LAME. Here s a link to various applications that use LAME segregated by OS type.

https://lame.sourceforge.io/links.php

May 7, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #24,265 of 36,107
For my i Macs I use norton for Mac.

May 7, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #24,266 of 36,107

R0016536.JPG
That’s a decrapifier or a universal bus type thingy I think

May 7, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #24,268 of 36,107
Which windows manager are you using? I prefer K3b for KDE and sound juicier for gnome. K3b is my favorite. You will have to install quite a few packages if you are not using KDE, bit it's worth the foot print IMO.

I've installed Kubuntu 19.10, so I am using KDE Plasma 5.
I knew K3b was a CD/DVD burner (from when I ran SuSE Linux, years ago), but don't think I've tried it for ripping CDs.
Currently at work, and can't remember any more details.
Thanks for the recommendation - I'll give it a try this evening.

May 7, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #24,269 of 36,107
May 7, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #24,270 of 36,107
There's not a full track list, but so far, the first 30 minutes are pretty good -
Dark Blues - Rock, Road Trip Instrumental Music, 10 Hours

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back