The Audio Lounge
Mar 6, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #22,486 of 36,018
I had the X3ii and E12 config. I loved that one too. Can't remember why I got rid of it. Maybe something else new and shiny came along...that's how it was for me many times.
I used that setup for a year or so and carried it about too , funny because I was talking about how heavy the ss r6pro is today, that stack made r6pro look like btr5 ....

By the way still love my btr5 if it had better battery life I would honestly say you really dont need anything better on the go , and if you can live with 5 hours then you definitely dont

Mar 6, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #22,487 of 36,018
I used that setup for a year or so and carried it about too , funny because I was talking about how heavy the ss r6pro is today, that stack made r6pro look like btr5 ....

By the way still love my btr5 if it had better battery life I would honestly say you really dont need anything better on the go , and if you can live with 5 hours then you definitely dont

I had hoped that, since it's larger than the ES100, the BTR5 would have an extended battery life. What sort of load were you driving, when you measured 5 hours?

Mar 6, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #22,489 of 36,018
OK - Here's a general interest question -
What was your initial motivation for signing up on the Head-Fi Forums?

Mine was because I was investigating portable Amp/DACs in May, 2016 - before going to spend a couple of weeks in Mississippi & Tennessee for my Mom's open heart surgery at the end of June, 2016.
I ended up buying an iFi Micro iDSD.

I've had the silver and Black Label iDSD, a great piece of kit.

As for why I joined HF, I had transitioned from speakers to headphones so I could still jam and not wake up the kids. And I was mired in entry level goop without knowing where to go for both over ears and in ears. I think the best I'd heard up to that point was a pair of Sennheiser IE80's. I've ended up buying and trying many different items over the last 4 years thanks to a bunch of info I received here in the Audio Lounge thread. As a headfier I've survived the lows of the Trials of Trinity, and the highs of discovering planar magnetics. I'm glad I clicked the join button, my wallet maybe not so much, lol.

Mar 6, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #22,490 of 36,018
I had hoped that, since it's larger than the ES100, the BTR5 would have an extended battery life. What sort of load were you driving, when you measured 5 hours?

Not sure but I was using er4xr which actually like a bit of power , this was also ldac balanced and I'm certain you will get better results from 3.5mm and lesser bluetooth codec but obviously the audio will suffer...I actually used the 3.5mm yesterday to test the comets and it is still pretty good! But I have put a balanced cable on the comets now and it is better.

Mar 6, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #22,491 of 36,018
I've had the silver and Black Label iDSD, a great piece of kit.

As for why I joined HF, I had transitioned from speakers to headphones so I could still jam and not wake up the kids. And I was mired in entry level goop without knowing where to go for both over ears and in ears. I think the best I'd heard up to that point was a pair of Sennheiser IE80's. I've ended up buying and trying many different items over the last 4 years thanks to a bunch of info I received here in the Audio Lounge thread. As a headfier I've survived the lows of the Trials of Trinity, and the highs of discovering planar magnetics. I'm glad I clicked the join button, my wallet maybe not so much, lol.
Planar was a revelation to me too .....trinity was a devastation

Mar 6, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #22,492 of 36,018

Honestly though it is a revelation in audio ...how something that small that cheap and bluetooth can sound that good makes you wonder at times why we/ i spend hundreds. ...if they can make a version with say 12 hours battery on ldac balanced i would buy it tomorrow and probably not bother with a dap under 500 its that good ...does it beat my dx160 audio? No but it's so close at times that the price to performance ratio is a no brainer

Mar 6, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #22,494 of 36,018
Indeed 1500 and 3 years ....and 1000s spent .....and that's just me lol
Actually that's not a joke , my banter got me intrigued so I added up how much all the sources cost i have had since trinity...and ones I can actually remember comes to nearly £6000! Ok some I sold and put the money towards but still! ....I'm not doing iems or headphones lol

Sorry typo .£5000 soooooo much better lol

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #22,495 of 36,018
Actually that's not a joke , my banter got me intrigued so I added up how much all the sources cost i have had since trinity...and ones I can actually remember comes to nearly £6000! Ok some I sold and put the money towards but still! ....I'm not doing iems or headphones lol

Sorry typo .£5000 soooooo much better lol

I absolutely refuse to go back through email receipts, AliExpress orders, Amazon orders, and eBay orders - to get any sort of total amount spent! :ksc75smile:

Mar 6, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #22,498 of 36,018
I can't recall too clearly why I joined Head-Fi..
I joined back in 2012, but I think I didn't really use it much or make any posts until around 2015.
I think it all started when, as an ardent lifelong music lover, I had the revelation that perhaps there were better quality earphones that might make my music sound better.
Back then I was rocking an iPod nano, with all my music in mp3 format (of whatever resolution I downloaded it in).

I bought some £80 Klipsch earphones and the left earbud stopped working.
Amazon offered me a refund, so I decided to use it to go crazy and double down on buying some even more expensive IEMs, the Audeo Phonak PFE122 :)
I'm guessing that was the point at which I had started actively using Head-Fi (probably looking for reviews and impressions on the Phonaks!).

I then upgraded to a 'stack' of Colorfly C3 DAP and C&C BH2 Amp.

I attended CanJam the following year, just as my C3 DAP randomly bricked itself permanently and my Phonaks also stopped working on one side.
I was feeling quite low and didn't have money to buy any nice replacement stuff at CanJam.
But I'd been following the nascent Trinity thread with some interest, and when I met Bob and got chatting, I mentioned my predicament, and he very kindly gave me a free pair of unboxed Hyperions that he had behind the desk.

I then got sucked in to the whole Trinity rollercoaster ride. I didn't get stung as badly as some others, as I was fortunate enough to get a refund for my eventual first 'flagship' type purchase (Phantom Master 6).
I think when I look back, of course there was a load of broken trust (and products lol), but I guess if I hadn't gone down that rabbit hole, I might never have gotten the thirst and the knowledge for audiophile sound that kept me in this hobby.
And listening to the music I love now, on TOTL equipment and being able to appreciate how wonderful it sounds and what a blessing it is to be at this point in my journey, I can say I don't regret a thing :)

Similar emotions about my journey as a reviewer, but that's a post for another time I guess!

And, on this, our 1500th page, I can finish by saying that if it wasn't for the Trinity debacle, I wouldn't have been able to be part of such a fantastic community on this thread with people I've really come to like and respect a great deal. Cheers to us all :)

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #22,500 of 36,018

Users who are viewing this thread

Back