The Audio Lounge
Jan 14, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #21,916 of 36,382
Thanks for the reply!
I'm glad that the card is recognized by Linux - both the Analog outputs (which I don't use), and the Digital output (SPDIF) that I do use. It would be great to find a utility that allows me to set the bit depth & sample rate - or to instruct the card to simply transmit the audio file as-is, up to the maximum supported rate (24-Bit / 192-KHz), and only resample when it encounters a higher rate.

please keep us up to date when you figure this one out. Personally I like Linux over windows but at times peripheral support can be arduous.

Jan 14, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #21,917 of 36,382
please keep us up to date when you figure this one out. Personally I like Linux over windows but at times peripheral support can be arduous.

I did my PC update (HW, and switch to Linux) last weekend, since today - Tuesday, 14-JAN-2020 - is the End Of Life day for the Extended Support from Microsoft on Windows 7.
I've purchased a copy of Windows 10 Pro, to install in a VM on my Linux system, but I'm also planning to keep my Windows 7 Pro installation (as a VM) available for a while, to make sure everything that I was doing, can be done in either Linux or Win10.
While poking around the Internet, I came across "Audiophile Linux", which has just been updated to v5.
It uses a Real Time Kernel, and only runs the minimum background daemons necessary for playing high quality audio.
The tricky bit is that it's an Arch Linux distribution - and is installed manually, with a lot of typing in terminal windows, and editing config files.
I might give it a try.

Jan 14, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #21,918 of 36,382
One more entry for this week's WOW.
From British shoe-gaze poster boys Ride, who released their last album over 20 years ago, then split acrimoniously.
They re-formed the band a couple of years ago, and this was the second song they released from it. It's pretty cool.
As they say, "form is temporary, class is permanent" :)

It was also quite interesting to hear how two of the band members described it:
Mark Gardener says: “‘Home Is A Feeling’ to me is like a slow, wide-screen, sonically layered, slowed motion warm wash.
Like returning home as dawn rises totally exhausted and spangled after a long ..long ...big, great night out’”

Andy Bell says: “Out of all the new songs ‘Home Is A Feeling’ comes closest to the early Ride sound.
We felt comfortable going vintage on this tune because the album we are making has a pretty broad sonic scope.
It’s a short and sweet, melodic tune, with stacked harmonies, reverbed-out guitars, slowed down drums, and a huge distorted bass sound.
Erol put his sage-scented electronic wizards hat on to sample up some of our harmonies and make them into a synthesiser preset, which we ended up using on this and some of the other tunes too.
We wanted this song to sound jet lagged, so everything on it was recorded with varispeed, either faster or slower than real time.
It’s like 1966 Beatles meets 1988 My Bloody Valentine… in other words, Ride.” :)

Jan 14, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #21,919 of 36,382
My in-depth review about FiiO BTA 10 is live now :)

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2020/01/effective-solution-fiio-bta-10.html

FiiO-BTA-10-BTA10-DAC-AMP-Bluetooth-Amplifier-Audio-Tehnica-ATH-M50X-Audiophile-Heaven-Review-16.jpg

Jan 15, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #21,920 of 36,382
And I am HOME again.

Next time I want a better view from my room. Temps ranged from 33C to 37C, but the thermometer at the pool reached the low 40’s every day. My main camera and my Ruizu A50 stopped working. The A50 has recovered but I know it cannot travel. Not sure yet about the Nikon.

DSCF3188.JPG

Jan 15, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #21,922 of 36,382
And I am HOME again.

Next time I want a better view from my room. Temps ranged from 33C to 37C, but the thermometer at the pool reached the low 40’s every day. My main camera and my Ruizu A50 stopped working. The A50 has recovered but I know it cannot travel. Not sure yet about the Nikon.

Electronic things not liking where you stayed, strange

Jan 15, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #21,924 of 36,382
WOW

Jan 15, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #21,925 of 36,382
WOW:

First up: Go hard or go home. Blackberry Smoke, kicking ass and taking names since 2003 :p

Next up, an atmospheric acoustic Bruce Springsteen number, amped up in a live performance featuring The Boss, plus guitar maestro Tom Morello (Rage Against the Machine, The Nightwatchman etc).
If you've never seen Tom Morello doing his thing on guitar, you're in for a treat :D

Finally, to calm down after all that excitement, a more haunting and tranquil but really rather good track by Canadian born, Australia-based acoustic singer-songwriter Garrett Kato.
He's got some really good stuff; worth checking out :)

Hope y'all enjoy :)

Jan 15, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #21,927 of 36,382
WOW - Ghost

and... one of my favorites - Eric Andersen. The title track from his great album Ghosts Upon the Road. It is said to be autobiographical.... talking about his younger days.

Here is a nice review of the album.

https://www.acousticmusic.com/fame/p00172.htm

I was lucky enough to see him play at the Ann Arbor Ark once... not sure what year...

Jan 16, 2020 at 6:12 AM Post #21,930 of 36,382
IMG_20200116_133122_412.jpg

My customs are here! Once just a dream, now a reality. Couldn't be happier!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back