The Audio Lounge
Jul 5, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #8,686 of 36,037
Dogs here never have any allergies. We keep the dogs outdoors for most of their lives so even if they had allergies they will have acclimated to it already.

Um WHAT?????

Jul 5, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #8,687 of 36,037
Jul 5, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #8,689 of 36,037
I have a friend that is still using an Ipod Classic and the original earbuds that came with it. Trying to upgrade his sound, I gave him a pair of KZ ZS6 earphones... But, we found that even the Large Silicone tips are too small for his ears.
( FYI, my friend is only 5'4" tall and probably weighs only 140... So I was not expecting the need for larger tips... And he can't hear the bass since the large tips actually fall out. )

Anyone know of a source of larger diameter foam or silicone tips? 4-5mmID. OD needs to be bigger than 13mm or the Comply Large foams, and Large KZ Star Tips.

Are there some better earbuds that don't cost a fortune?

Appreciate any ideas !
Ever tried VE Monks? I tried out a set of those at one point that came with a set of the VE Dukes and I was incredibly surprised at how they sounded. I don't like earbuds because they really don't fit my ears and I can't get a seal and the cheap ones from JVC or Apple sound terrible, but I recall the Monks sounding very impressive considering they don't create any sort of seal for my ears. And did I mention they're also really cheap? :D

Jul 5, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #8,692 of 36,037
I enjoy headphones, iems and earbuds too. You would be surprised how good earbuds have become
I tried the ve monk and they were great for the ridiculous price and throwaways, but i can't handle ear buds keep falling out of my ears.
I can't do earbuds. Like @majo123, they don't fit my ear well at all; they fall out really easily. A shame because the Monks did sound incredibly good for the price and the form factor. But ergonomically, there's just no way those will work for me. For the people that need to use earbuds rather than IEMs, I think the VE Monk should be on the short list, especially if that list needs budget considerations. I've also read Yuin's PK2 is very good too if you're going to splurge a bit on a set of earbuds, but obviously I've never done it because I already know they won't fit my ears :p

Jul 5, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #8,693 of 36,037
Ever tried VE Monks? I tried out a set of those at one point that came with a set of the VE Dukes and I was incredibly surprised at how they sounded. I don't like earbuds because they really don't fit my ears and I can't get a seal and the cheap ones from JVC or Apple sound terrible, but I recall the Monks sounding very impressive considering they don't create any sort of seal for my ears. And did I mention they're also really cheap? :D

Thanks for the good replies!

I have actually not heard the Apple Earbuds ( Am not an "apple" person) . But doubt my friend will play around with making his own IEM tips to fit his "big" ears. So maybe he's better of with earbuds. The VE Monks are really inexpensive. Almost hard to believe they sound good for that price. But I'll get a pair for him. If he likes those, then I'll step him up to the PK2's.

The only earbuds that ever worked for me were Old Sony ones with a headband that kept them sealed in my ears. But once I switched to iems, I can never go back to Eadbuds. And the headband for earbuds looks kind a silly in today's world of audio.

I did try to get him to replace his iPod Classic with something better; But he had zero interest in changing what he knew. So I ended up upgrading 2 for him and 1 for his wife with new batteries and switched them to MIcrosd instead of The microHDD they came with. At least now they should last a few more years...

Jul 5, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #8,694 of 36,037
After the "hot chocolate" post it reminded me of this , probably for me the best 70s disco record and here's the full version, love this through cans or iems with a nice stage.

Edit....showing my age

Very nice. I never heard that before. I really dug it.

Jul 6, 2018 at 12:34 AM Post #8,695 of 36,037
Thanks for the good replies!

I have actually not heard the Apple Earbuds ( Am not an "apple" person) . But doubt my friend will play around with making his own IEM tips to fit his "big" ears. So maybe he's better of with earbuds. The VE Monks are really inexpensive. Almost hard to believe they sound good for that price. But I'll get a pair for him. If he likes those, then I'll step him up to the PK2's.

The only earbuds that ever worked for me were Old Sony ones with a headband that kept them sealed in my ears. But once I switched to iems, I can never go back to Eadbuds. And the headband for earbuds looks kind a silly in today's world of audio.

I did try to get him to replace his iPod Classic with something better; But he had zero interest in changing what he knew. So I ended up upgrading 2 for him and 1 for his wife with new batteries and switched them to MIcrosd instead of The microHDD they came with. At least now they should last a few more years...
Are you saying you took the hard drive out of an iPod and internally replaced it with a mSD card? If so, how is that done?

Jul 6, 2018 at 1:14 AM Post #8,696 of 36,037
Very nice. I never heard that before. I really dug it.

There is some good 70s disco records as well as a lot of rubbish, I think it's an underestimated era because of flares/dress sense. a lot of modern dance music and soul/funk evolved from disco.
I grew up with parents loving different sides dad was bowie, zeppelin, queen etc this type of genre and mother was Motown, soul funk disco.
I love both all though I lean more to bowie, zeppelin type genre.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2018 at 1:48 AM Post #8,697 of 36,037
I'm also a big fan of Nile Rogers who was responsible for disco hits like " chic..le freak" , "sister sledge...lost in music" and has worked with artists like bowie and Duran Duran and lots lots more, he also more recently worked with daft punk and Carl Cox...this man is still going strong playing uk dates this year and a total legend!
Anyone who doesn't know nile Rogers Google him , it is amazing who he has worked with And what he has written and a lot that you definitely know.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2018 at 3:30 AM Post #8,698 of 36,037
Good morning folks.

Disco music is not my cup of tea. I prefer Blues and Heavy Metal, but my taste of music has changed over the years.
I still listen to stuff like death, doom, thrash, speed metal, but also like AOR, Folk, Blues, ...
I'm growing old... :D

Are you saying you took the hard drive out of an iPod and internally replaced it with a mSD card? If so, how is that done?

It's made with adapter (CF Card Adapter to ZIF Connector & CF Card Adapter to SD card), you can find tutorials at YouTube, search eg. for "iPod upgrade micro sd".

Jul 6, 2018 at 5:52 AM Post #8,699 of 36,037
I got my balanced cable, the R3 uses 112mW per channel instead of 56mW with the 3,5 jack, reduced the volume from 45 to 33 and it is still loud enough.

The ZS10 benefits from the balanced cable, more controlled bass, better separation of the instruments and the stage improved imho.

Never thought it would be a difference like that, it seems the ZS10 likes more power. :)

Jul 6, 2018 at 7:45 AM Post #8,700 of 36,037
There is some good 70s disco records as well as a lot of rubbish, I think it's an underestimated era because of flares/dress sense. a lot of modern dance music and soul/funk evolved from disco.
I grew up with parents loving different sides dad was bowie, zeppelin, queen etc this type of genre and mother was Motown, soul funk disco.
I love both all though I lean more to bowie, zeppelin type genre.

My parents were Oldies (50's) and Country. In fact, My father was in a bar band that played those two genres. So NO HELP THERE! Ha ha.

I'm am more of a rock, metal, blues, fan myself. But I also love funk and soul/R&B.

I lump the Hot Chocolate in with my R&B tastes (see what I did there).

When I was growing up, I was definitely in the "Disco Sucks" rock crowd. The Who's "Goodbye Sister Disco" definitely described it for me. However, I did have an 8-Track of Saturday Night Fever, and I did listen to it quite often in my rotation of, Kiss, Kansas, Beatles, Who, Alice Cooper, Meat Loaf.

And just listening to 70's radio in the car, I would hear Hot Chocolate and the like.

My appreciation for Hot Chocolate grew as I got older and my CD collection grew.

I'm also a big fan of Nile Rogers who was responsible for disco hits like " chic..le freak" , "sister sledge...lost in music" and has worked with artists like bowie and Duran Duran and lots lots more, he also more recently worked with daft punk and Carl Cox...this man is still going strong playing uk dates this year and a total legend!
Anyone who doesn't know nile Rogers Google him , it is amazing who he has worked with And what he has written and a lot that you definitely know.

I have heard of Nile Rogers but don't know specifics. I'll look him up.

Great discussion, my friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back