The Audio Lounge
Jun 21, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #8,281 of 36,169
Sorry, awesome violet.

Jun 21, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #8,284 of 36,169
Just received my Huawei P20 Pro. It has very decent sound quality, I'm actually quite happy! The 128GB allows me to save a ton of music... To be honest, it has a Dolby Atmos feature built in and it sounds quite nice, at least with the music mode. It colors the music to some extent for sure, but hey, at times it might just be cool to play around with it and hear your music in a different tone. :)

Jun 21, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #8,285 of 36,169
Just received my Huawei P20 Pro. It has very decent sound quality, I'm actually quite happy! The 128GB allows me to save a ton of music... To be honest, it has a Dolby Atmos feature built in and it sounds quite nice, at least with the music mode. It colors the music to some extent for sure, but hey, at times it might just be cool to play around with it and hear your music in a different tone. :)
Dolby surround DSPs are really good. I have them installed on every PC I own. I really like their surround virtualiser. Really gives an out of your head experience.

Jun 21, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #8,286 of 36,169
Dolby surround DSPs are really good. I have them installed on every PC I own. I really like their surround virtualiser. Really gives an out of your head experience.

Very cool to hear that others here are using this functionality as well. When I use the dedicated "Smart" mode it sounds weird and sibilant, "movie mode" sounds weird for music as well but the dedicated "Music" mode without the "Smart EQ" deactivated sounds actually really good, to be honest... And I'm generally not a fan of EQ, but this just feels different, feels like it adds another layer to the music really.

Generally, 128GB for Tidal music as well and 384kHz, 32-bit audio support is exactly what I wanted. I suppose I won't be getting a dedicated DAP now with Android, this just feels like a one-in-all device. Don't even get me started on the camera... It's beautiful.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #8,287 of 36,169
It looks like Monoprice has been busy adding stuff to their Monolith line. There are 2 new headphones, the M600 and M650 utilizing a 50mm beryllium metal driver. According to their descriptions (and funny enough their model numbers), it sounds like Monoprice is trying to create their versions of the Sennheiser HD600 and HD650. They also partnered up with Alex Cavalli for 2 new headphones amps, the Liquid Platinum and the Liquid Spark. The headphones are out now but the amplifiers won't be out until October. I'll be watching reviews on the 2 headphones and maybe I'll try out the M650.

hp.png
amps.png

Jun 21, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #8,288 of 36,169
It looks like Monoprice has been busy adding stuff to their Monolith line. There are 2 new headphones, the M600 and M650 utilizing a 50mm beryllium metal driver. According to their descriptions (and funny enough their model numbers), it sounds like Monoprice is trying to create their versions of the Sennheiser HD600 and HD650. They also partnered up with Alex Cavalli for 2 new headphones amps, the Liquid Platinum and the Liquid Spark. The headphones are out now but the amplifiers won't be out until October. I'll be watching reviews on the 2 headphones and maybe I'll try out the M650.

Well, they're oval-shaped, that's a good start lol. I think it looks like they're using 2.5mm mono connectors. Think it probably comes with a 1/4" plug? I can see screw threads on the pic showing the standard 3.5mm plug.

Jun 21, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #8,289 of 36,169
Well, they're oval-shaped, that's a good start lol. I think it looks like they're using 2.5mm mono connectors. Think it probably comes with a 1/4" plug? I can see screw threads on the pic showing the standard 3.5mm plug.

Yeah, it looks like the 3.5mm has the threads for the adapter, but traditionally their 1/4" adapters have been hot garbage, lol. The one that came with my M1060 was unusable, it was the same for a bunch of people in the Monoprice thread.

Jun 21, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #8,290 of 36,169
Yeah, it looks like the 3.5mm has the threads for the adapter, but traditionally their 1/4" adapters have been hot garbage, lol. The one that came with my M1060 was unusable, it was the same for a bunch of people in the Monoprice thread.
What's wrong with them? Surprising to hear something so simple as a 1/4" adapter messed up so badly.

Jun 21, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #8,291 of 36,169
What's wrong with them? Surprising to hear something so simple as a 1/4" adapter messed up so badly.

I think they were incorrectly sized. Mine was slightly loose in my amp and the 3.5mm jack end felt loose as well. It really is funny that something so simple was so wrong.

Jun 21, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #8,292 of 36,169
...Makes me wonder if I like the sound of the silicone tips if some Spinfit ones would be a better choice for enhanced comfort.

Haven't been here for a while so only just seen this. If you're still looking into tip-rolling try MandarinE Symbio eartips - the seal - & thus the sound they give - is second-to-none (for me at least). They're a hybrid design (silicon sleeve over a very dense memory-foam core) & come in 2 bore-size options - 'N' and 'W' (normal & wide) - in 3 fit sizes - S, M & L. If you try them, be sure to order a size down from your usual preference as they're quite big!

For anyone reading who remembers that Tr*nity tried this idea - they did, but true to the company's form, it was a half-arsed effort with the foam component having little functional value. The Symbios are a very different proposition.

The downside is they're pricey - but worth it imo.

IMG_6312.JPG

Jun 21, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #8,294 of 36,169
Haven't been here for a while so only just seen this. If you're still looking into tip-rolling try MandarinE Symbio eartips - the seal - & thus the sound they give - is second-to-none (for me at least). They're a hybrid design (silicon sleeve over a very dense memory-foam core) & come in 2 bore-size options - 'N' and 'W' (normal & wide) - in 3 fit sizes - S, M & L. If you try them, be sure to order a size down from your usual preference as they're quite big!

For anyone reading who remembers that Tr*nity tried this idea - they did, but true to the company's form, it was a half-arsed effort with the foam component having little functional value. The Symbios are a very different proposition.

The downside is they're pricey - but worth it imo.

I tried the Symbios, very good as you say but I found the small wasn’t quite small enough for me, became uncomfortable after a while and would tend to loose the seal. Shame because they are good, gave em to my son so at least they didn’t go to waste.
Have ordered some RHA Dual Density tips, so I’ll see how I get on with them. Had ordered the small and guess what, they are too small lol.
My favourites at the moment are the JVC Spiral Dots, if Symbio made an extra small size, I’d definitely give em another go. :smile_phones:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back