The Audio Lounge
Jan 25, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #13,083 of 36,081
Hey guys, looking for some advice. I have a pre-out on my living room amp (Marantz) which I'm trying to leverage to use wireless headphones... I'm wondering if a pre-amp is sufficient? Any of you guys have experience on that front? My goal is to pre-amp the port, bridge to a bluetooth transmitter and connect my headphones on the BT transmitter. Will it work? Do I need a pre-amp + power amp?

Thanks!

Jan 25, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #13,084 of 36,081
Hey guys, looking for some advice. I have a pre-out on my living room amp (Marantz) which I'm trying to leverage to use wireless headphones... I'm wondering if a pre-amp is sufficient? Any of you guys have experience on that front? My goal is to pre-amp the port, bridge to a bluetooth transmitter and connect my headphones on the BT transmitter. Will it work? Do I need a pre-amp + power amp?

Thanks!

Most Bluetooth transmitters can take either a Line Level analog signal (on a 3.5mm TRS, or on RCA jacks), or an SPDIF (on optical TOSLINK, or coaxial RCA jack) input.
There are models, that are fairly easily available, which have a variety of transmit CODECs (SBC, AAC, aptX, aptX Low Latency, aptX HD).
Due to licensing issues, it may take a while for non-mobile / non-Linux PC devices to have Sony's LDAC (it's included in Android 8, and there's a Linux Bluetooth driver patch).

Jan 25, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #13,085 of 36,081
Most Bluetooth transmitters can take either a Line Level analog signal (on a 3.5mm TRS, or on RCA jacks), or an SPDIF (on optical TOSLINK, or coaxial RCA jack) input.
There are models, that are fairly easily available, which have a variety of transmit CODECs (SBC, AAC, aptX, aptX Low Latency, aptX HD).
Due to licensing issues, it may take a while for non-mobile / non-Linux PC devices to have Sony's LDAC (it's included in Android 8, and there's a Linux Bluetooth driver patch).

So with that logic, if BT transmitters can take a line level analog signal, having just a pre-amp on my pre-out would bring the signal to analog line level, which would in turn permit the BT transmitter to handle the signal?

Jan 25, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #13,086 of 36,081
So with that logic, if BT transmitters can take a line level analog signal, having just a pre-amp on my pre-out would bring the signal to analog line level, which would in turn permit the BT transmitter to handle the signal?

Yes. I've used Line Level, Earphone Level, and TOSLINK on several different BT Transmitters.
Currently using a BlitzWolf BW-BR4 - Bluetooth V5.0 aptX HD Transmitter/Receiver at home - and my Linux laptop can transmit LDAC.

Jan 26, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #13,087 of 36,081
Well, after some consideration, I have decided to keep my X5iii as the going rate for sales is too low. Hate to see the depreciation go so low that I'm taking a huge loss on it. Better to keep it and let it sit rather than giving it away. I still like the sound of it and have had no problems so it stays. But, I have been on the lookout for a new unit (can't resist the pull for new toys). I decided I was going to give the Shanling M5S a try after some back and forth. Hopefully I get a good one without some of the issues I have been reading about. Getting ready and loading up a card full of music. I'll post pictures and impressions once I get my hands on it.

Jan 26, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #13,088 of 36,081
Well, after some consideration, I have decided to keep my X5iii as the going rate for sales is too low. Hate to see the depreciation go so low that I'm taking a huge loss on it. Better to keep it and let it sit rather than giving it away. I still like the sound of it and have had no problems so it stays. But, I have been on the lookout for a new unit (can't resist the pull for new toys). I decided I was going to give the Shanling M5S a try after some back and forth. Hopefully I get a good one without some of the issues I have been reading about. Getting ready and loading up a card full of music. I'll post pictures and impressions once I get my hands on it.
Good luck in your journey. I went through something similar with my DX200Ti recently. I decided not to sell for a different reason though.

Jan 26, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #13,090 of 36,081
I looked at the R6 but the OI was too high for some of my stuff. The new Pro looked decent but only comes with 4.4 balanced not 2.5 (didn't want to invest in new cables). I have the R3 and love it. R6 should take that higher...heard good things about it.

Jan 26, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #13,091 of 36,081
I'm waiting on a new toy as well. The Verum 1 planar magnetic Kickstarter I was a part of has started to ship. It was by far the best Kickstarter I've ever seen, Verum has not only met their original shipping schedule with no rescheduling, but they posted up nearly 30 updates along the way and were very communicative. Now they just have to show up and not sound horrible, lol.

Jan 26, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #13,092 of 36,081
I'm waiting on a new toy as well. The Verum 1 planar magnetic Kickstarter I was a part of has started to ship. It was by far the best Kickstarter I've ever seen, Verum has not only met their original shipping schedule with no rescheduling, but they posted up nearly 30 updates along the way and were very communicative. Now they just have to show up and not sound horrible, lol.
Interesting looking planars. They remind me of the B&W Nautilus a little...

1-black-nautilus-speaker-product-image_0.jpg

Jan 26, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #13,093 of 36,081
@OldDude04
Those look pretty nice, hope they live up to your expectation, let us know...

Jan 26, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #13,094 of 36,081
Someone else posted that B&W picture a while back and I'll say it again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. They may sound wonderful but every time I look at them, it reminds of the aliens from HR Giger's nightmares...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back