The Audio Lounge
Oct 28, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #11,988 of 36,081
Yeah if they ship on time should be ok , don't know how much you guys have read but apparently they need a bit of burn in to settle and reports of not too great out of the box.

Yup, Burn baby burn.

Oct 28, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #11,990 of 36,081
AQ NightHawks were 100 hrs recommended if I remember correctly.

Oct 28, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #11,992 of 36,081
AQ NightHawks were 100 hrs recommended if I remember correctly.

AQ recommended 150 hours. I gave my Nighthawks 200. No idea if anything changed. Loved them immediately out of the box.

Oct 28, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #11,993 of 36,081
Oct 28, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #11,995 of 36,081
I for one am glad planar iems are coming along nicely

Other than the one you purchased, have you heard other planar IEMs (like the RHA CL2)?

Also wondering whether you've heard the Moondrop Kanas Pro?

Oct 28, 2018 at 11:41 PM Post #11,998 of 36,081
Yeah if they ship on time should be ok , don't know how much you guys have read but apparently they need a bit of burn in to settle and reports of not too great out of the box.
My GL2 didn't need a little burn. They needed a freakin' ton of it. The largest burn in change I have heard from any owned product. And I've owned lots of products.

May have told this story before, but here goes. The Kickstarter arrived about 1.5 hours before I was to leave for a 3 day weekend. Hurriedly opened the box and plugged them into the Pono Player. Ack. These don't sound very good. Ok, worse than not very good. They sounded broken. The bass had this weird one note resonance and the high frequencies were gritty, almost buzzy at times. Bought these hoping to replicate the sound of a friend's AKG dynamic/stat headphone from the '80s. Disappointed, and figured they would end up on the shelf as an interesting technological curiosity. Still took them on the trip to have something to play with.

Arriving at destination, let them burn in while I went out to do photography. That night had longer to listen. Still sounded broken. But, for a few seconds, in certain songs, there were glimmers of potential. A few seconds here and there. I'd never use these. ALL my other headphones sound better includiin the '70s Audio Technica electret headphones. Would rather listen to the Koss Porta Pro or Grado SR60.

Let them burn in for hours and hours. Would listen for 5 min or so every few days. 200 or more hours in, they started leveling out and sounding like a real product.

Now they are 1 of my 2 favorite headphones (that I own).

Some things I've learned:

I didn't love the stock cable. It was stiff and a little unwieldy. Only a few replacement cables will fit, due to the cutout in the side of the wood earcup. I use a Radio Shack Auvio. Some people buy those very short extension cables for cellphones and plug in the cables they want.

The GL2 are very efficient. My normal volume on the Pono Player is 4-5 bars - barely turned up. But, these seem to change sound more from component to componentcomponent, than most headphones. Believe this is due to the 2 radically different drivers, transformer, and crossover. A complex load. Components with higher output impedance probably cause greater frequency response variations.

Think the GL2 bass can be a little under controlled with components lacking drive. Add this to the output impedance discussed above and the GL2 can be a chameleon.

Oct 29, 2018 at 1:39 AM Post #11,999 of 36,081
Had to be done at that price :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I'm looking forward to hearing them , I had a conversation with @barondla quite a while back and if I remember rightly (he might quote me otherwise) he has the gl2 and mj2 he spoke good things about both although from reading and what I recall the mj2 is probably the better set of cans but £59! for the gl2 is a steal.
I do have both the GL2 and MJ2. Technically the MJ2 are better. More: neutral frequency response, focused, forward ( if GL2 are 10th row, mid concert hall, the MJ2 are row 7). Bass is tighter and and more detailed.

But, the GL2 has a beautiful quality. Like hearing a single ended tube amp. A little more forgiving, with a larger, less focused soundstage. These relax a person while the MJ2 have a more energetic sound. Neither phone is spitty. The high frequencies have such low distortion.
The MJ2 can easily be ran balanced with a different cable. The GL2 would require major modifications. I listen to both headphones about equally. Considering buying the JP1. Already have the magic flower pot ready for Feb. next year. JP1 would be now.

Oct 29, 2018 at 2:08 AM Post #12,000 of 36,081
My GL2 didn't need a little burn. They needed a freakin' ton of it. The largest burn in change I have heard from any owned product. And I've owned lots of products

I was being conservative lol and had read this , thanks for confirming though as I didn't want anyone thinking "what have I done!" informative as ever dude thanks .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back