The Audio Lounge
Dec 8, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #4,951 of 36,031

My magic doormat has flourished into life in this winter season!
Reckon these badboys are going to give my Katana a run for their money! :)

EDC Velvet? Very nice. Any initial sound impressions? Just realised I still owe you a reply from your PM a while back - will try and get back to you this weekend at some point!

Still enjoying my honeymoon period with the AAW Q and my new LG V30 - really enjoyable pairing for pick up and go use. In fact, the V30 is probably better than most of my current DAPs in terms of SQ and driving power, so the fact it's always in my pocket is just an added bonus!

Dec 8, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #4,952 of 36,031
EDC Velvet? Very nice. Any initial sound impressions? Just realised I still owe you a reply from your PM a while back - will try and get back to you this weekend at some point!

Still enjoying my honeymoon period with the AAW Q and my new LG V30 - really enjoyable pairing for pick up and go use. In fact, the V30 is probably better than most of my current DAPs in terms of SQ and driving power, so the fact it's always in my pocket is just an added bonus!

Love my lg v30. Really impressed with the SQ here as well. Glad I finally have an android device with DAP quality sound :wink:

Dec 8, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #4,953 of 36,031
Love my lg v30. Really impressed with the SQ here as well. Glad I finally have an android device with DAP quality sound :wink:

How they have implemented something that can wring the neck of my Focal Elears headroom and dynamics-wise, still play nice with my EE gear and not have any noticeable EMI issues when streaming should be a lesson to aspiring DAP manufacturers on how to design a great Android based player.

May sound a lot like new toy syndrome, so I'll leave it a few weeks before starting any sort of review writeup, but to my ears, this is a very accomplished audio player.

Dec 8, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #4,954 of 36,031
Been on a little buying spree lately. Just received my hifiman he-4xx's and used burson soloist sl headphone amp. I'm also waiting on a hifiman ef5 amp as well. I wanted to see the difference between a solid state vs tube or tube hybrid amp. Really looking forward to hearing the differences.

But I must say for the little time that I've listened to the 4xx's I'm really liking them. They sound good straight from source but connecting them to the amp takes them to whole new level. For me this pairs well with the 4xx and the 6xx that I borrowed from my wife :wink: But currently I'm liking the 4xx's a little better right now. This is my first amp and I'll I can say is WOW. This just opens up a whole new listening experience, I'm just stunned. I've heard that the 4xx's will be getting better over time. That will only be a perk :)

Dec 8, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #4,955 of 36,031
Been on a little buying spree lately. Just received my hifiman he-4xx's and used burson soloist sl headphone amp. I'm also waiting on a hifiman ef5 amp as well. I wanted to see the difference between a solid state vs tube or tube hybrid amp. Really looking forward to hearing the differences.

But I must say for the little time that I've listened to the 4xx's I'm really liking them. They sound good straight from source but connecting them to the amp takes them to whole new level. For me this pairs well with the 4xx and the 6xx that I borrowed from my wife :wink: But currently I'm liking the 4xx's a little better right now. This is my first amp and I'll I can say is WOW. This just opens up a whole new listening experience, I'm just stunned. I've heard that the 4xx's will be getting better over time. That will only be a perk :)

Was pretty tempted by the 4xx however I heard that it sounds pretty similar to the Hd600's. Still am torn since I have yet set foot on the planar path.

Dec 8, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #4,959 of 36,031
4XX is the cheapest currently, followed by M1060. I've tried the 400S, but I preferred the HD600

Dec 8, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #4,961 of 36,031
The HE-400 models, the HE-350. I'd say save up just a bit more and start with the awesome Monoprice Monolith M1060.
Nope, not the HE-350. Hifiman's cheapest retail planar is the HE-400S. The HE-350 is a dynamic driver, the successor to the HE-300 before it, which was a dynamic driver headphone as well. So yeah, I think the cheapest out there is probably the HE-400S at $250 and the M1060 at $300.

Dec 8, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #4,962 of 36,031
Nope, not the HE-350. Hifiman's cheapest retail planar is the HE-400S. The HE-350 is a dynamic driver, the successor to the HE-300 before it, which was a dynamic driver headphone as well. So yeah, I think the cheapest out there is probably the HE-400S at $250 and the M1060 at $300.

See, ya learn something new every day, lol. I thought all of theirs were planar.

Dec 8, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #4,963 of 36,031
I like planar, dynamic and electrostats. Then earbuds and iems, anything that makes me enjoy music

Dec 9, 2017 at 12:56 AM Post #4,964 of 36,031
See, ya learn something new every day, lol. I thought all of theirs were planar.
At one point, I also thought everything they made was planar. On the whole, it's not that far off. There are few exceptions: all their IEMs of course, the old HE-300, new Massdrop HE-350, and the Edition S. Everything else is planar AFAIK. Also, the Edition S, while billed as an on-ear, is not really an on-ear lol. I feel like I've got average sized ears and my ears fit snugly in the cups of the Edition S. And though you'd think the open/close design along with its stowability is geared towards listening on your commute or out and about, I felt it sounded better in its open configuration rather than the closed. Not only that, but the more surprising thing was that I felt like its bass actually improved in the open configuration compared to the closed one. An odd headphone in a way. I'm debating selling it though because I don't use it all that often. Should there be anyone here that can sway me or offer an interesting trade, I may make a decision to entertain it. At the moment, it sits atop the fence :p

Dec 9, 2017 at 1:06 AM Post #4,965 of 36,031
I like planar, dynamic and electrostats. Then earbuds and iems, anything that makes me enjoy music
Minus earbuds for me. My ear anatomy just doesn't facilitate those very well. I've heard the VE Monk and I think one of the Yuin PK series at some point and they sound great, but they just physically won't stay in my ear. Hence, just IEMs for me. Whatever price (within reason, I'm not made of money :p) is fine with me as long as it provides an appropriate level of overall enjoyment. My recent rotation has been the Pinnacle P2, Supra, and Bragi The Headphone. Supposedly this weekend, I should have the Zolo Liberty+ in hand as well. Totally wireless is starting to make the rounds in my collection. With The Headphone, a bit of a tradeoff on the sound quality, but boy is it nice to be completely wire-free!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back