The Audio Lounge
Oct 22, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #4,366 of 36,032
@Jerda - stay away from the Kinera for now. Some of the reviews are what I would call a little enthusiastic, and may not reflect reality. I have one - it’s on my list to review. It has some fairly hefty faults.

Look into B400 and Simgot EN700 Pro under $200, FiiO F9 under $100

Oct 22, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #4,369 of 36,032
@Brooko Yeah I've read your great review, right know in trying to figure about that hiss when plugged to some source

Sorry - can't help you with hiss questions on the B400. I have permanent tinnitus, and it masks any hiss that may or may not be present (I can't hear any). At 30 ohm, unless your source has an OI of +3-4 ohms, I doubt there would be much audible hiss though. MY kids couldn't hear any out of the X7ii at full volume with nothing playing.

@Brooko
Hey do you still enjoy the LZ Dipper. Since Unique Melody's are open headphones, I might not put ME.1 on my list to check out.

I just got my Dipper back (loaned it to someone for measuring) - didn't realise how much I missed it until it was gone. I probably use the Dipper now more than any other IEM (for pleasure), and I ended up buying the review pair - I simply wanted to own it. The ME.1 is a very unique earphone. I liked its spaciousness. I have to EQ it for it to be enjoyable though. For me it is dissonant (similar to the Jupiter). That hole in the presence area needs filling. Once you've EQ'd though - it is very good.

Oct 22, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #4,370 of 36,032
Sorry - can't help you with hiss questions on the B400. I have permanent tinnitus, and it masks any hiss that may or may not be present (I can't hear any). At 30 ohm, unless your source has an OI of +3-4 ohms, I doubt there would be much audible hiss though. MY kids couldn't hear any out of the X7ii at full volume with nothing playing.

I just got my Dipper back (loaned it to someone for measuring) - didn't realise how much I missed it until it was gone. I probably use the Dipper now more than any other IEM (for pleasure), and I ended up buying the review pair - I simply wanted to own it. The ME.1 is a very unique earphone. I liked its spaciousness. I have to EQ it for it to be enjoyable though. For me it is dissonant (similar to the Jupiter). That hole in the presence area needs filling. Once you've EQ'd though - it is very good.
yeah I just read your ME.1 review today! I might consider it in future.

Did you get the multiple switch Dipper :D
Also someone made a joke that the Dipper has a frequency response graph that looks like the Big Dipper itself.

What does the measurements look like!

Oct 22, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #4,371 of 36,032
That was my review - I commented that was why it got its name. Graph is in there too: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/lz-big-dipper.22581/reviews#review-19012

9934860_l.png

Normally I'd prefer something a lot flatter and with less of a recession in the lower mids, but you can get away with it with a pure BA set-up, because the bass doesn't have the same impact a DD has. Notice also how the peaks all roughly match - nothing over emphasised.

I have the 3 switch version, and I use it with the treble shelved down a bit for now.

Oct 22, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #4,374 of 36,032
now, now, just give in. You KNOW you want to...(evil little chortle)

Oct 22, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #4,376 of 36,032
@Jerda - stay away from the Kinera for now. Some of the reviews are what I would call a little enthusiastic, and may not reflect reality. I have one - it’s on my list to review. It has some fairly hefty faults.

Look into B400 and Simgot EN700 Pro under $200, FiiO F9 under $100
You know what I wanna know! B400 compared to the fiio? Didn't saw that on the reviews :)

Oct 22, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #4,377 of 36,032
B400 has slightly richer lower mid-range, no treble peak, and the upper mid-range bump is roughly equal to the bass (perfect balance)

F9 has slightly less lower mid-range, a bigger bump in the upper mids (more presence for female vocals etc) and of course the big 7 kHz peak (which a lot of people tell me isn't a problem - and yes that is being slightly "provocative). The F9 is a really good earphone as long as you take the 7 kHz peak away. The B400 is a great earphone full-stop.

b400 f9.png

Oct 22, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #4,378 of 36,032
Wohoo. Ok, its a lot more clear now, thanks
Edit: it's always an autocorrect typo don't laugh asd
@Brooko so you know if the next year the brainwavz flagship will go 100$ lower and at the same price we could buy an IEM with 2 more drivers as this year happen? :joy:

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #4,379 of 36,032
Reading up reviews of Brainwavz B400 that's a great iem.

I think if anyone is looking for an IEM in that price range, pick up B400. It seems from reviews it's near mid line of polaris and Dunu 3001. For only $190

Edit: I don't want to look at the posts in Brainwavz thread about LG V30 using only one quad dac.

I'm about to have a brain aneurysm. Someone people please call 911 to California immediately.

Since when did the world stop running if only one DAC works. So many products do we enjoy music out of, where only 1 DAC is functional. For me let's see....
Questyle QP1R, Cayin i5, Cayin N3, Aune M1S (Single ESS 9018k2m how's that huh?), All the ipod touch models/ old gen with single Cirrus Logic, Burr brown. Benjie S5, the list can go on and on.
The Bit Opus #3. FiiO X5II.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #4,380 of 36,032
here in Europe the difference is 60€
Take no brain choose the b400 over the F9 because.... because if you wanna spend less you can just don't buy the frosty upgrade that is already counted on the difference :joy::joy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back