The Audio Lounge
May 22, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #33,151 of 36,032
Yeah, you didn't post which version of Ubuntu LTS you were running. But still you will have a more cutting edge system with the real time kernel. They put non-stable/test code in kernel 6.2. 6.1 is a LTS release of the kernel, so only stable code will be used. https://bityl.co/IoMu

I'm actually talking about Manjaro (Arch) Linux, rather than (K)Ubuntu.

May 22, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #33,152 of 36,032
I've decided to switch my Main PC from Kubuntu Linux, to Manjaro Linux - and have ordered a new SSD to install it on. Should be here in a couple of days, so this will be a Memorial Day weekend project.
One thing I've noticed, with having Manjaro installed on my Laptop, is that the regular software manager was able to upgrade JRiver Media Center from v30 to v31. On my Kubuntu system, I would have to download a v31 installer from the JRiver MC Forums, and run it on the command line. What that does, is install the new version beside the old version - so they're both on the system simultaneously. I think I prefer the upgrade way of doing things, rather than the dual install.
*** Question about Kernels ***
On my Laptop, the option to keep using the regular LTS Kernel, or install a Real Time Kernel popped-up.
Just to see what might happen, I installed the RT Kernel - but I couldn't really detect any obvious differences, with the light usage that it gets.
On my Main PC, which is where I will be continuing to rip my CD collection using MC31, and where I watch YouTube videos and listen to music - I'm wondering whether the RT Kernel would be the preferred one to install?
The Main PC is a Desktop system (Xeon E5-2697 v2 (12-Cores/24-Threads), 64GB RAM) that I assembled.
My understanding of real time kernels is that they oftentimes sacrifice performance in order to give you the guarantees required for real-time operation. Unless you specifically need a real-time kernel there is almost never any point in using one. But, as you point out, for most uses, you are unlikely to notice any real difference.

May 22, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #33,153 of 36,032
I'm actually talking about Manjaro (Arch) Linux, rather than (K)Ubuntu.
Either way, the 6.2 Kernel isn't in the stable release path. I've had some pretty stark stability issues with non-LTS versions of Linux. This has gotten better over the years. I've never run Manjaro, so it may be just fine, especially for home use.

May 22, 2023 at 7:39 PM Post #33,154 of 36,032
https://qph.cf2.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-c1343ca74c1cb558bd3d9c2649fc4915

main-qimg-c1343ca74c1cb558bd3d9c2649fc4915

Sealed the deal

May 23, 2023 at 5:57 AM Post #33,156 of 36,032
Putin loves trump and maga.

Russia on Friday announced it was banning “500 Americans,” many prominent figures of US executive power, from entering the country “in a response to the regularly anti-Russian sanctions imposed by the Joe Biden administration,” according to a statement from Russia’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

The list includes Obama, former US Ambassador Jon Huntsman, several US senators and the next expected chairman of the joint chiefs Charles Q. Brown Jr.

The rambling list of names also includes American late night TV hosts Jimmy Kimmel, Colbert, and Seth Meyers.

The statement also said: “The attached ‘list-500’ also includes those in government and law enforcement agencies who are directly involved in the persecution of dissidents in the wake of the so-called Storming the Capitol.” On January 6, 2021, scores of supporters of former US President Donald Trump sought to stop Biden’s certification as president and attacked the US Capitol.

Russian President Vladimir Putin appeared to question the arrest of the rioters a few months later, saying the people had come to Congress “with political demands,” Reuters reported.

Friday’s list also includes CNN Anchor Erin Burnett and is an update of a previously published longer list of sanctioned individuals that includes CNN’s Chief International Security Correspondent Nick Paton Walsh, Senior Global Affairs Analyst Bianna Golodryga and CNN contributor Timothy Naftali.

by the way , I went to high school with Tim nafftali, brilliant Man with compassion for humanity. Valedictorian.

May 23, 2023 at 7:25 AM Post #33,157 of 36,032
I can only imagine the mayhem that could occur if the Dump was holding the reigns at this very difficult time for our Earth.

A certain person, that was visiting Ireland recently, stated that if he was in, he would end the war on Ukraine within 24 hours, which was total delusion! He does not realize the total support that there is in Europe for the plight of the Ukrainians and what it signifies for long term peace in the World.

May 23, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #33,158 of 36,032

May 23, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #33,159 of 36,032
7b47124d16535e2040e10592dccbcaac.jpg

4cc60bb2f47b9965ea0dc079a928991d.jpg

8dd875a153f003fd408d3f1ac1cba9eb.jpg

568eacd8c96be6c80e2fc4a352875e4c.jpg

May 24, 2023 at 6:17 AM Post #33,161 of 36,032
wow, a school in Miami dade banned the hill we climb. Desantis? Trump? America wake up.

A Florida school has banned elementary students from reading "The Hills We Climb," the poem written and recited by Amanda Gorman at Joe Biden's inauguration as president.

The powerful poem, which was been internationally praised, was one of several works banned at the Miami-Dade County school library after a parent complained they referenced critical race theory, gender ideology, "indirect hate messages," according to the Miami Herald.

On Tuesday, Gorman addressed the ban, in a statement posted to social media. "I'm gutted. Because of one parent's complaint, my inaugural poem, 'The Hill We Climb,' has been banned from an elementary school in Miami-Dade County, Florida," she wrote.

Last edited:
May 24, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #33,163 of 36,032
A last minute WOW submission... took me forever to get my sound working again in firefox after a windows update. Not even sure what actually fixed it.

WOW - Around

Rick Vito - Doggin' Around - from SoulShaker

The Police - Wrapped Around Your Finger

Finally, the one that actually came to mind first...

Kind of an oldie now.... an old favorite of mine. I actually got to see and meet and talk to Eric Andersen at the Ann Arbor Ark in the 90's. He signed my copy of the Blue River Album (1972). This is 'Round the Bend from that album.

May 24, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #33,164 of 36,032
See everyone.....This is what a streamer should cost.....https://goldnoteusa.com/product/ds-10-plus/. Not the price of a new car. There's nothing in the box that calls for a $30,000 USD price tag. It's a computer, with a d/a board included, stuffed into a nice box. It includes Nichicon caps too, but those can be easily changed. I could put one together for $2000 - $3000 with a linear power supply. Slap Roon server on there and you are golden. If you want the cool case, there are many metal shops that will duplicate the case, or you can customize your own. Just saying.

Even their integrated amp streamer is affordable. https://goldnoteusa.com/product/is-1000/

Last edited:
May 24, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #33,165 of 36,032
WOW: Shirt

Elvis Costello

McCaffery

How can I not include Right Said Fred?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back