The Audio Lounge
Mar 27, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #26,641 of 36,140
For anyone who has recently looked for a SPDIF (TOSLINK) -> USB converter - there used to be a few different devices available, but that was 8 - 10 years ago.
Now, there's a new one available from Hifimediy -
https://hifimediy.com/product/hifime-ur23-spdif-optical-to-usb-converter/
UR23 - New Optical SPDIF to USB converter
The UR23 accepts optical signals and transfers this by USB. Useful to transfer DAT tapes, minidisks or other digital sources to a computer. It works in USB Audio Class 1, with sample rates up to 24-Bit/96-KHz.
We have received quite a few request for this functionality, previously only more expensive devices had this function.

Mar 28, 2021 at 7:20 AM Post #26,642 of 36,140
Alpine always seemed to have a more limited distribution / availability than the others - but I used to enjoy hearing Boston Acoustics, Infinity, JBL, MB Quart, & Polk speakers in the car stereo shops.
Quote from Wikipedia - "In August 2005, D&M Holdings acquired Boston Acoustics. In March 2017, Sound United LLC acquired D+M Holdings.

As of October 17, 2018, Boston Acoustics products were still available on Amazon.com and other retail sites.

As inventory depleted, Sound United (the parent company of Denon, Polk Audio, Marantz, Bowers & Wilkins, Definitive Technology, Heos, Boston Acoustics, and Classe), let Boston Acoustics fade away. Currently, Sound United maintains the brand name, but no engineering is budgeted and there is no future production planned for Boston Acoustics.
"

Well, I went ahead and ordered a set of the Infinity Kappa speakers --- 300m (3.5" Midrange) for Dash Corners, 90CSX Components (6"x9" Woofer, 1.4" Soft Dome Tweeter) for Front Doors, and 62IX Coaxial (6.5" Woofer, 1" Soft Dome Tweeter) for Back Doors.
Now, I need to decide on which electronics to order for my 2020 Forester... :ksc75smile:

Thinking about saving for a bit - and getting a Kenwood eXcelon DDX9907XR head unit.
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-eS2pPwiOPUl/p_113DDX9907/Kenwood-Excelon-DDX9907XR.html
It's a CD/DVD player, with a 6.75" (16:9) 1280 x 720 touchscreen display.
High-Res audio (FLAC & WAV) up to 24-Bit/192-KHz, is supported on the USB inputs.
Some Kenwood (including this one), JVC, and Sony (since they developed it) car stereos support BT LDAC, when connecting to Android phones.
The DDX9907XR also supports BT SBC & AAC.
It supports wired and wireless (BT & WiFi) Apple CarPlay & Android Auto, as well as screen mirroring.
For integration with the Subaru systems, it can connect to an iDatalink Maestro ADS-MRR2.
I had been leaning toward getting one of the Pioneer head units, but their 6.5" - 8" screens are only 800 x 400 or 840 x 480, and they don't support BT LDAC.

Mar 28, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #26,643 of 36,140
While I like the apple laptops, I am not a huge fan of their phones. I have had iphones since way back. I noticed though if you keep them longer than what apple thinks you should, it seems like there are built in ways they slow or throttle it to make it seem like its obsolete, when it fact it is perfectly fine. I have a perfect clean example of the iphone 7 and don't have an extra grand lying around for a new phone. When I talked with apple about the weirdness of slowing down and glitchy loss of functions, they said that 'no wonder you're having issues, we think you need a new phone.' I don't need a new one. I may be getting a samsung after this one totally fails out. But, I bet they do the same thing.

Sorry, I'll get off my rant now. I see conspiracies everywhere...

Good for you @jerick70. Nice to get new gear, regardless of its origin.

It only seems like it is being deliberately slowed down because it is.

"In March, Apple agreed to pay up to $500 million to settle claims of intentionally slowing down older phones. That settlement called for Apple to pay consumers at least $25 per iPhone, though some consumers who had already spent hundreds on new devices saw the payments as too little, too late." Nov. 18, 2020

https://www.npr.org/2020/11/18/936268845/apple-agrees-to-pay-113-million-to-settle-batterygate-case-over-iphone-slowdowns#:~:text=In March, Apple agreed to,as too little, too late.

Mar 28, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #26,644 of 36,140
1616943541653.png

Mar 28, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #26,645 of 36,140
Good question this:

James O'Connor
·
March 20

Former I Was in the Army 1977-1998

James O'Connor

Updated March 21
What album did you love the first time you heard it?
Wow, are there a lot of these. As old as I am, I still hear albums I love ever time I buy one. Not every album is genius, to be sure, but love it anyway? Sure…
So, for this answer I may have to set the Wayback Machine. There have been albums, that on first listen, I knew they’d be permanently entered in my own personal database as amazing and wonderful and “My God, that!” forever.
Most of these are going to be familiar to anyone near my age and musical experience. These and a great big pile of others would be in the crate of albums that must always travel with me.
Miles Davis: Kind Of Blue (1959)

Led Zeppelin: II (1969)

Yes: Close To The Edge (1972)

Genesis: Live (1973)

Supertramp: Crime Of The Century (1974)

Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here (1975)

Anthony Phillips: The Geese And The Ghost (1976)

Jethro Tull: Songs From The Wood (1977)

Tangerine Dream: Force Majeure (1978)

Vangelis: Opera Sauvage (1979)

I’m sorry there weren’t more, but it would break the Quora server to list them all.

Mar 28, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #26,646 of 36,140
It only seems like it is being deliberately slowed down because it is.

"In March, Apple agreed to pay up to $500 million to settle claims of intentionally slowing down older phones. That settlement called for Apple to pay consumers at least $25 per iPhone, though some consumers who had already spent hundreds on new devices saw the payments as too little, too late." Nov. 18, 2020

https://www.npr.org/2020/11/18/936268845/apple-agrees-to-pay-113-million-to-settle-batterygate-case-over-iphone-slowdowns#:~:text=In March, Apple agreed to,as too little, too late.
Apple’s an evil company. They make nice electronics though. Plus they’re really good at marketing and getting bogus patents for a rectangle with round corners.....
1616945658474.gif

Mar 28, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #26,647 of 36,140
Thinking about saving for a bit - and getting a Kenwood eXcelon DDX9907XR head unit.
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-eS2pPwiOPUl/p_113DDX9907/Kenwood-Excelon-DDX9907XR.html
It's a CD/DVD player, with a 6.75" (16:9) 1280 x 720 touchscreen display.
High-Res audio (FLAC & WAV) up to 24-Bit/192-KHz, is supported on the USB inputs.
Some Kenwood (including this one), JVC, and Sony (since they developed it) car stereos support BT LDAC, when connecting to Android phones.
The DDX9907XR also supports BT SBC & AAC.
It supports wired and wireless (BT & WiFi) Apple CarPlay & Android Auto, as well as screen mirroring.
For integration with the Subaru systems, it can connect to an iDatalink Maestro ADS-MRR2.
I had been leaning toward getting one of the Pioneer head units, but their 6.5" - 8" screens are only 800 x 400 or 840 x 480, and they don't support BT LDAC.
That is a nice looking head unit.

Mar 28, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #26,648 of 36,140
That is a nice looking head unit.

Yes, and I was considering one of the Pioneer or Kenwood 8" - 10" models, but those screens have to be mounted so that they sit in-front of the dash. Which means - they will partially obstruct the A/C ducts, and they're more obviously aftermarket head units.

Mar 29, 2021 at 7:19 AM Post #26,650 of 36,140
There was a lot about this in the news a few years ago, they call it planned obsolescence and is the reason I only buy certain makes.
Then there was the car manufacturers emissions scandal. Makes you wonder what else goes on.
Fake electronic parts in audio gear to save money and still sell kit for astronomical prices? Not saying this is happening, just a spotlight of how it could effect us.

Mar 29, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #26,651 of 36,140
While I like the apple laptops, I am not a huge fan of their phones. I have had iphones since way back. I noticed though if you keep them longer than what apple thinks you should, it seems like there are built in ways they slow or throttle it to make it seem like its obsolete, when it fact it is perfectly fine. I have a perfect clean example of the iphone 7 and don't have an extra grand lying around for a new phone. When I talked with apple about the weirdness of slowing down and glitchy loss of functions, they said that 'no wonder you're having issues, we think you need a new phone.' I don't need a new one. I may be getting a samsung after this one totally fails out. But, I bet they do the same thing.

Sorry, I'll get off my rant now. I see conspiracies everywhere...

Good for you @jerick70. Nice to get new gear, regardless of its origin.
Have to say, I'm a long-time iPhone user and I've noticed the same thing.
I'm convinced there's something built into the OS/FW that makes them start becoming glitchy at certain times, perhaps including in the iOS updates?
Conspiracy!! :D

I got a Samsung Galaxy S8+ after feeling that the grass may be greener on the other side.
But I have discovered I hate Android phones and their App Store with a passion.
Just ridiculous amounts of security/privacy invasion.
Even trying to get a paid app rather than a free one, it said I had to grant the app access to my contacts, messages, phone calls and so on.
I also found I miss and prefer the iOS setup, texting, emoticons, etc.
My next phone is going to be another iPhone again. Hope this saves you from walking the tragic path that I did.
Save yourself.
It is too late for me, my son (Darth Vader voice) :D

Mar 29, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #26,652 of 36,140
Have to say, I'm a long-time iPhone user and I've noticed the same thing.
I'm convinced there's something built into the OS/FW that makes them start becoming glitchy at certain times, perhaps including in the iOS updates?
Conspiracy!! :D

I got a Samsung Galaxy S8+ after feeling that the grass may be greener on the other side.
But I have discovered I hate Android phones and their App Store with a passion.
Just ridiculous amounts of security/privacy invasion.
Even trying to get a paid app rather than a free one, it said I had to grant the app access to my contacts, messages, phone calls and so on.
I also found I miss and prefer the iOS setup, texting, emoticons, etc.
My next phone is going to be another iPhone again. Hope this saves you from walking the tragic path that I did.
Save yourself.
It is too late for me, my son (Darth Vader voice) :D

I refuse to allow access. All the apps work. But then I also turn off Google.

Mar 29, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #26,653 of 36,140
1617024830649.png

Mar 29, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #26,654 of 36,140
1617025692025.png

Mar 30, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #26,655 of 36,140
1617114571911.png

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back