The Audio Lounge
Mar 25, 2021 at 7:31 PM Post #26,626 of 36,218
Metal reggae version

Mar 26, 2021 at 1:48 AM Post #26,627 of 36,218
I used to compete in car audio back in the day. I used to hear the Kappas quite a bit. Very nice sounding. From memory, I think they sound more neutral if anything (depending upon the install). I have always leaned to Alpine, MB Quart and Boston Acoustics. Not sure if they are even contenders anymore.

For that price for the Kappas, you couldn't wrong. They'll handle the power upgrade if you go in that direction. Keep us updated on what you decide.

Alpine always seemed to have a more limited distribution / availability than the others - but I used to enjoy hearing Boston Acoustics, Infinity, JBL, MB Quart, & Polk speakers in the car stereo shops.
Quote from Wikipedia - "In August 2005, D&M Holdings acquired Boston Acoustics. In March 2017, Sound United LLC acquired D+M Holdings.

As of October 17, 2018, Boston Acoustics products were still available on Amazon.com and other retail sites.

As inventory depleted, Sound United (the parent company of Denon, Polk Audio, Marantz, Bowers & Wilkins, Definitive Technology, Heos, Boston Acoustics, and Classe), let Boston Acoustics fade away. Currently, Sound United maintains the brand name, but no engineering is budgeted and there is no future production planned for Boston Acoustics.
"

Well, I went ahead and ordered a set of the Infinity Kappa speakers --- 300m (3.5" Midrange) for Dash Corners, 90CSX Components (6"x9" Woofer, 1.4" Soft Dome Tweeter) for Front Doors, and 62IX Coaxial (6.5" Woofer, 1" Soft Dome Tweeter) for Back Doors.
Now, I need to decide on which electronics to order for my 2020 Forester... :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #26,629 of 36,218
What an awesome set of cans....

CC29B5EA-DEA7-4FE8-A6F8-C7D7A177500D.jpeg

2F988185-9FA9-4E7E-9686-F99446782EAC.jpeg

Mar 26, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #26,631 of 36,218
Right? I am in love with my GL2000's. Congrats!
The GL2000 with the iDSD Diablo are so smooth and punchy. This is my new smooth criminal stack... I have this weird thing that happens when a stack is so good. I get this taste in my mouth that’s like a metallic / 9v battery taste and I have that now.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #26,633 of 36,218
1616802322100.png

Mar 27, 2021 at 3:21 AM Post #26,634 of 36,218

Audiophiliacs: Why Do They Have So Many Headphones?​

By
Gabby Bloch
-
October 10, 2019 4:32 pm

If you’re new to the headphone game, you may be wondering why audiophiles own multiple pairs of cans. The first answer is that we’re very sick people. But it’s also more complicated than a mere pathological condition. So, let’s take a close look at the psychology behind Audiophiliacs: Why Do They Have So Many Headphones?

https://majorhifi.com/audiophiliacs-why-do-they-have-so-many-headphones/
I like to think of it like CD/DVD/Blu-ray collectors, its not that we want to have so many, but sometimes its not worth the effort to resell them, that or you just want to keep it in your collection so you can go back to it in the future. But in reality 10% of your collection gets 90% of your use time while the other 90% gets 10% of your use time.

Personally I only listen to my top 1-2 iems, the rest don't get any use as its usually a straight downgrade from my top iems. I have a lot of gear simply because its not worth the effort to sell them. I can always give them to family members in any case.

Mar 27, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #26,635 of 36,218
Discovered yesterday while I was on my lunch break - I Robot, by The Alan Parsons Project is available as a 24-Bit / 192-KHz stream on Qobuz, using WiFi and UAPP (with audio driver which supports the Dual DACs) on my Onkyo DP-X1B DAP. Was listening with my LZ A7 earphones connected to the 2.5mm TRRS Balanced Output, and it really sounds good. :ksc75smile:
https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/i-robot-the-alan-parsons-project/0886446301341

EDIT: Add info about UAPP.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #26,636 of 36,218
Well I decided to switch from android to an iPhone 12 Pro MAX. So far it’s seems a lot more difficult to use than my old android. A lot of things don’t make sense and are not intuitive. I find myself stuck not knowing how to switch apps easily and just plain stuck in navigation.

On another note I also switched to a MacBook Pro 16” and this is an awesome upgrade. My MSI windows laptop is starting to die and I wanted to give MacOS a try.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #26,637 of 36,218
While I like the apple laptops, I am not a huge fan of their phones. I have had iphones since way back. I noticed though if you keep them longer than what apple thinks you should, it seems like there are built in ways they slow or throttle it to make it seem like its obsolete, when it fact it is perfectly fine. I have a perfect clean example of the iphone 7 and don't have an extra grand lying around for a new phone. When I talked with apple about the weirdness of slowing down and glitchy loss of functions, they said that 'no wonder you're having issues, we think you need a new phone.' I don't need a new one. I may be getting a samsung after this one totally fails out. But, I bet they do the same thing.

Sorry, I'll get off my rant now. I see conspiracies everywhere...

Good for you @jerick70. Nice to get new gear, regardless of its origin.

Mar 27, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #26,638 of 36,218
While I like the apple laptops, I am not a huge fan of their phones. I have had iphones since way back. I noticed though if you keep them longer than what apple thinks you should, it seems like there are built in ways they slow or throttle it to make it seem like its obsolete, when it fact it is perfectly fine. I have a perfect clean example of the iphone 7 and don't have an extra grand lying around for a new phone. When I talked with apple about the weirdness of slowing down and glitchy loss of functions, they said that 'no wonder you're having issues, we think you need a new phone.' I don't need a new one. I may be getting a samsung after this one totally fails out. But, I bet they do the same thing.

Sorry, I'll get off my rant now. I see conspiracies everywhere...

Good for you @jerick70. Nice to get new gear, regardless of its origin.
I would recommend a OnePlus 9. I’ve had OnePlus phones for quite a while and they are quite a bit better than Samsung. Samsung puts so much junk on their phones it kills the speed. You can’t uninstall the junk either.

This is my first iPhone. Well see how it fairs. I want to give it a fair shake.

I’m loving my MacBook Pro! I never thought I’d say this but it’s far better than my previous Windows 10 laptops.

Mar 27, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #26,639 of 36,218
I was out today, ordering what is certainly the most important piece of my home entertainment equipment - a new replacement for my 21 year old La-Z-Boy recliner... :wink: :ksc75smile:
Due to the social distancing requirements, and resulting staffing reductions in their factories, it's going to be 6 - 9 months to receive my chair order. So in the mean time, I'm going to have to fix the broken seat spring in my old chair.

Mar 27, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #26,640 of 36,218
I was out today, ordering what is certainly the most important piece of my home entertainment equipment - a new replacement for my 21 year old La-Z-Boy recliner... :wink: :ksc75smile:
Due to the social distancing requirements, and resulting staffing reductions in their factories, it's going to be 6 - 9 months to receive my chair order. So in the mean time, I'm going to have to fix the broken seat spring in my old chair.
Empathy for you @DBaldock9. We ordered two matching love seats with power reclining late last summer, and were told first week of December delivery. Received late January. But man, La-Z-Boy is worth the wait! Still rockin’ two 11yo recliners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back