The Audio Lounge
Mar 23, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #26,596 of 36,385
Scott Goldman

March 7

What popular song has a noticeable flaw in it?
Originally Answered: What are some popular songs that contain mistakes?
In the song “Ain't No Sunshine”, Bill Withers continues to sing “I know, I know” repeatedly, over and over.
Others who recorded the song, with the seemingly endless repetition, include Michael Jackson, Paul McCartney, Prince, Sting, Isaac Hayes and Tom Jones.
However, “I know” was never a part of the lyrics.
Withers was a factory worker who was too busy to write all the lyrics to the melody he had written. When he got in the studio he threw in the words “I know” temporarily, as a filler until he had the lyrics. Graham Nash, Stephen Stills and Booker G., all experienced performers, were also in the studio. They told Withers that it sounded fine. Deferring to their expertise, Withers never did complete the lyrics and left in the rather bizarre phrase. The rest, as they say, is history.

Mar 23, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #26,597 of 36,385
Mar 23, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #26,598 of 36,385
1616516587519.png

Mar 23, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #26,599 of 36,385
1616516669681.png

Mar 23, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #26,600 of 36,385
Is Lady still the Hot Ticket in Wowsville???

Mar 24, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #26,604 of 36,385
Looks like I should get my WOW in.... last minute as usual. Believe it or not I knew I was going to do these as soon as I saw the word Lady last week. I have been having problems sitting at my computer ever since I had Covid. Lots of neck, back, leg and shoulder pain. It is too difficult to post these from my poor old tablets. My iPad is 2012! Not sure what the android is... I found it among Tom's things and fortunately it was not locked. It is a 10 inch Samsung... more comfortable to use than my 8 inch Lenova.

I think when @groucho69 posts the words he saves the Leonard ones for me :)

Leonard Cohen - Winter Lady

Another by Leonard... Lady Midnight.. one of my favorites by him

I have to include two more.... from one 0f mine and Tom's favorite albums. He discovered it and said I had to listen. Ratso - Stubborn Heart

with Nick Cave - Our Lady of Light

...and the closing song - Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands
This is what I call 2am music.... mesmerizing. It is 12 min long.... worth the time! But really, listen to the whole album if you haven't already

Mar 24, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #26,605 of 36,385
*** Looking for recommendations ***
My "new" Subaru Forester has the regular audio system in it, rather than the upscale Harmon Kardon system. I used to do moderately custom car stereo installations, back in '70s, '80s, & '90s - but now that I've reached 60 years old, I'm going to have an upgraded system installed by a shop.
The dash can hold 3.5" Midrange speakers, the front doors can hold 6x9 speakers (I'll surface-mount a component Tweeter), and the back doors can hold 6.5" speakers (I'll use a coaxial). Using an electronic crossover is OK, as long as the x-over and amp can be hidden away (no subwoofer box or amps in the luggage area).
If you were going to spend a maximum of ~$350 per pair - which brand & model of speakers would you use in the three locations? Thanks for your insight!

Mar 24, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #26,606 of 36,385
Mar 24, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #26,607 of 36,385
Looks like I should get my WOW in.... last minute as usual. Believe it or not I knew I was going to do these as soon as I saw the word Lady last week. I have been having problems sitting at my computer ever since I had Covid. Lots of neck, back, leg and shoulder pain. It is too difficult to post these from my poor old tablets. My iPad is 2012! Not sure what the android is... I found it among Tom's things and fortunately it was not locked. It is a 10 inch Samsung... more comfortable to use than my 8 inch Lenova.

I think when @groucho69 posts the words he saves the Leonard ones for me :)

Leonard Cohen - Winter Lady

Another by Leonard... Lady Midnight.. one of my favorites by him

I have to include two more.... from one 0f mine and Tom's favorite albums. He discovered it and said I had to listen. Ratso - Stubborn Heart

with Nick Cave - Our Lady of Light

...and the closing song - Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands
This is what I call 2am music.... mesmerizing. It is 12 min long.... worth the time! But really, listen to the whole album if you haven't already

You may be on to something there....

Mar 24, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #26,608 of 36,385
My "new" Subaru Forester has the regular audio system in it, rather than the upscale Harmon Kardon system. I used to do moderately custom car stereo installations, back in '70s, '80s, & '90s - but now that I've reached 60 years old, I'm going to have an upgraded system installed by a shop.
The dash can hold 3.5" Midrange speakers, the front doors can hold 6x9 speakers (I'll surface-mount a component Tweeter), and the back doors can hold 6.5" speakers (I'll use a coaxial). Using an electronic crossover is OK, as long as the x-over and amp can be hidden away (no subwoofer box or amps in the luggage area).
If you were going to spend a maximum of ~$350 per pair - which brand & model of speakers would you use in the three locations? Thanks for your insight!

I did my Honda about a year ago. I chose all Alpine for the 6.5 door speakers, 4-channel amp and under-seat powered sub. Huge improvement over the stock stuff. I've always liked Alpine, solid performance and decent costs. I chose to hire a professional to do the install. My back can't take the contortions needed. I wanted the install to be clean and done right.

Alpine PWE-S8 Powered Sub (under passenger seat)- nice that it has a knob that you can turn up/down the amount of bass needed. The bass it delivers is decent, not the slam you'll get from a 12" custom box type. It fills in nicely, though.
Alpine KTP-445U Power Pack (tucked behind the stock head unit)
Alpine S-S65 Speakers in each door

One big suggestion is to opt for the sound-deadening materials to keep vibrations and resonances down. It really makes a difference.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2021 at 9:04 PM Post #26,609 of 36,385
Alpine Entertainment system with Focal speakers. Incredible system. The Focal speakers can be a bit pricey for the upper end stuff. One of my friends went top end Focal and spent $7k just for the speakers. They sound incredible though.

Mar 25, 2021 at 1:36 AM Post #26,610 of 36,385
I did my Honda about a year ago. I chose all Alpine for the 6.5 door speakers, 4-channel amp and under-seat powered sub. Huge improvement over the stock stuff. I've always liked Alpine, solid performance and decent costs. I chose to hire a professional to do the install. My back can't take the contortions needed. I wanted the install to be clean and done right.

Alpine PWE-S8 Powered Sub (under passenger seat)- nice that it has a knob that you can turn up/down the amount of bass needed. The bass it delivers is decent, not the slam you'll get from a 12" custom box type. It fills in nicely, though.
Alpine KTP-445U Power Pack (tucked behind the stock head unit)
Alpine S-S65 Speakers in each door

One big suggestion is to opt for the sound-deadening materials to keep vibrations and resonances down. It really makes a difference.

Alpine Entertainment system with Focal speakers. Incredible system. The Focal speakers can be a bit pricey for the upper end stuff. One of my friends went top end Focal and spent $7k just for the speakers. They sound incredible though.

Thanks for the replies!
I've found that the iDatalink Maestro RR2-SUB03-DS can be used with certain aftermarket car stereos - keeping the Subaru system integration intact.
There are also signal processors and amplifiers that can be connected to the Maestro system.
What do y'all think of the Infinity Kappa series of speakers?
Doing a bit of research on the Crutchfield site, it looks like the Infinity Kappa Perfect 300m would be a good Midrange for the front corners of the dash.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_108PERF300/Infinity-Kappa-Perfect-300m.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back