The Audio Lounge
Jun 27, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #24,901 of 36,081
Jun 27, 2020 at 10:50 PM Post #24,902 of 36,081
Jun 27, 2020 at 11:24 PM Post #24,903 of 36,081
But if you ignore him you may never see the “Light..........Man” :wink:
Indeed Pod, I am usually too busy back-pedaling at 95% of the speed of light to notice reality..............

giphy.gif

Jun 28, 2020 at 12:48 AM Post #24,904 of 36,081
For those who like Etymotic earphones, and who have a Shanling M3s - try taking a listen to that combo (I was using ER2XR) --- you might be surprised. :ksc75smile:

Jun 28, 2020 at 3:35 AM Post #24,905 of 36,081
For those who like Etymotic earphones, and who have a Shanling M3s - try taking a listen to that combo (I was using ER2XR) --- you might be surprised. :ksc75smile:

OK I'm calling foul David, the M3s can even make a $9.99 pair of Best Buy Skull Candies palpable :rolling_eyes: I may be a little biased since I do love that Shanling sound but any decent iem/ciem sounds awesome on the M3s:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Shany M3s DMS.JPG

Jun 28, 2020 at 4:24 AM Post #24,906 of 36,081
For my WOW:

But also, out of curiosity, can the bassheads in here tell me how this is sounding on your setups?

I just found it and it's quite late over here (past 1am) so I can't check this out on my 2.1 setup right now, but I plugged in my TH-X00 and boy, I'm melting in the chill :L3000:. Gonna have to see what the subwoofer does with it after I get some sleep.

Jun 28, 2020 at 4:30 AM Post #24,907 of 36,081
For my WOW:

But also, out of curiosity, can the bassheads in here tell me how this is sounding on your setups?

I just found it and it's quite late over here (past 1am) so I can't check this out on my 2.1 setup right now, but I plugged in my TH-X00 and boy, I'm melting in the chill :L3000:. Gonna have to see what the subwoofer does with it after I get some sleep.

Sounds pretty good Midge, even on my A4's off my FX Audio DAC X3. Digs pretty deep so I'll pull out something with ear shaking bass and try it tomorrow as it 3:35AM here and I need to get some sleep!

Jun 28, 2020 at 6:46 AM Post #24,909 of 36,081
I would never ignore Light-Man!
Thanks Mary! I think that David was referring to ignoring the trump................and who can blame him.

I reckon that it will be very hard to ignore the total shambles until November when the US election takes place.

I could not believe that people were packed into very close proximity in the middle of a pandemic, during one of the dumps recent rallies.................defies belief!

Jun 28, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #24,910 of 36,081
Jun 28, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #24,911 of 36,081
Up front I want to say that I’ve always gravitated to a warm, dark headphone. In fact, I’d rather take an overly dark one than a super bright one any day. It’s not that I don’t want to hear the details and sharpness associated with a bright phone, it’s just that, to me, it is too fatiguing. This is not going be a metered or measured review. It is done by the seat-of-my pants. It’s how I listen to music.

With that, let’s move to the Blue. I’ve always wanted to try the Fostex T50RP but just never really came to the forefront of my attention. I was at a meet in December and got to hear the Blue again but with much more time (I had heard it before but only very briefly). This time, it really made a great impression with me. Listening to various gear, from newer Schiit stuff to RME ADI-2 Pro, really made some great sounds. Made it to my shorter list. (My lists have been getting out of hand so was time to cull that list- hence the ‘shorter’)

I’ll come right out to say that I really like this Blue. That same impression back in December is still there. It has a warm, syrupy texture to the sound. It really shines at mids and upper mid-bass. There is some lower rumble here and the details are there, just not in abundance of either. Vocals, guitar and bass guitar sound fantastic. The line between highs and mids seems fuzzy at times. It’s not veiled, just blurry. Sometimes, given a poorly recorded track, that mid-bass threatens to overwhelm everything. Not sure if it needs burn-in to calm that or just how it is, we’ll see over time. These are very forgiving, not grating anywhere and whatever I threw at them came out good. Great tracks sound awesome, poor tracks sound good.

I have tried this in some various set-ups. DX160 by itself. The M5S by itself. And again playing through the Schiit Heresy. My default for the Heresy source is the M2X. I have not tried through the MBP>Schiit Bimby>Lyr 2 yet. (Frankly, haven’t turned that on for a while).

The DAPs by themselves sound great. The Blue is very nice with them and can’t find any real faults, except that sometimes, the volume tends to creep up when some lower resolution tracks are played. Sense of excitement is a little lessened.

Where the Blue really comes to life is when connected to some decent power. I am in love with the simplicity, power and signature of the Schiit Heresy. Just a great little amp for the price. With that driving, there is less bass bloom and more staging and separation noticed. Everything seems less rough. Favorite set-up is the M5S>Heresy>Blue.

Comparisons

I wasn’t going to pit the Blue against the Ether as that would be unfair. But with a similar cost, the Meze 99 Noir, HD6XX and the AQ NightOwl all play well here.
I know, all different drivers and closed/open configurations. Let’s just look at the musicality for comparisons.

The Blue and 99 Noir- Blue is wider and with that upper mid-bass prevalence, seems to outshine the 99. The 99 is more intimate, more solid in its attack. There is no bleed on any ranges in the 99, very tight and accurate but with solid bass slam. The 99 (in balanced) has been my go-to lately. Clamp on the 99 is stronger but still comfortable. 99 is driven by anything and sings on the Heresy. The 99 is such eye candy with wood cups and blackened hardware, the Blue looks like plastic against it. Winner: 99 Noir.

The Blue and NightOwl- The NO does a lot of things right. Comfortable (I think I did a marathon session with them and forgot I had them on even after 6 hours). Everything is accurate and well-played in the NO. There’s no huge bass slam however in the NO. It is missed but when it delivers everything else well, it is forgiveable. The Blue seems opposite, with that mid-bass, it is forgiven on some lack of treble differentiation. Clamp on the Blue is stronger but the NO floats on your ear. Winner: Blue

The Blue and HD6XX- love the warmth of the 6XX. Its openness and staging is great. Again wish there was more bass but the instrument separation makes it worth it. The Blue seems more tight against it. Moving from one to the other, I lose the bass but that lightness of resolution of the 6XX is something else. Some higher details just dance on the 6XX. The Blue is just so different that it seems hard to judge one against the other. Let’s say that they are tools for different jobs. I don’t reach for the 6XX too often but I know that it’s there for when I seek that signature. Winner: draw.

So to wrap up a long-winded mini review, I hope that time will even out the bloom in the Blue. Sometimes I really like what it delivers and other times, I think that this is way too much. I am curious as to what mods can be done and what effect they will have. I will keep this in rotation and will most likely keep. Makes me wonder at keeping the NO. I’d hate to sell it and then regret it as it is no longer made. I’ll tuck it away for a while and revisit it with new perspectives down the road.

For some small cost, the Blue seems like a very fun and bass-happy ride. Thanks for reading.

Some of the tunes used for comparison:

Joe Walsh- Turn to Stone

Beirut-Santa Fe

Dixie Chicks- Cowboy Take Me Away

Kathleen Edwards- Goodbye, California

Keith Jarrett-Autumn Leaves

Led Zeppelin- Bron-Yr-Aur

Pink Floyd-Have a Cigar

Jun 28, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #24,912 of 36,081
Some Picts
1593373195839.png

1593372914867.png

1593372950947.png

1593372998786.png

IMG_2003.jpg

Attachments

• 1593373159489.png
    1593373159489.png
    488.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 1593373220180.png
    1593373220180.png
    404.2 KB · Views: 0
Jun 28, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #24,913 of 36,081
1593378161565.png

Jun 28, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #24,914 of 36,081
Karin Marie
August 30, 2019
Former Charge Nurse-Nurse Manager (1985–1999)

Who receives Freddie Mercury’s royalties from “Bohemian Rhapsody” and other songs from Queen?
The royalties from Freddies songs, including Bohemian Rhapsody were split up in his will, with 25% to his parents, 25% to his Sister Kash, and 50% to his long time best friend and at one time, fiancé, Mary Austin.
When Freddies parents had both died, his mom passed in 2004, It read that their share would go to Mary as well.
It is widely felt that he felt guilty for not marrying her, once it was obvious that he was more attracted to men than to women. Freddie always called Mary his Common Law Wife, and said she would have gotten it all anyway if things had been different. Freddie and Mary remained close and forever friends, he is quoted as saying that “No man will ever know me as well as Mary does.” They truly loved each other. They had a 6 year relationship before Freddie had to be true to his feelings. Mary worked for Freddie for the remainder of his life, often going antique shopping together. She would follow him around and write down all the pieces he was interested in, and their asking prices. She also ran his business office, and payroll.
Mary was frequently by Freddies side while he was very sick, holding him, and caring for him along with his “family of friends” who lived with him at Garden Lodge. Mary was also with him when he died, along with Dave Clark, Freddies Partner Jim and the boys.
It was Mary that Freddie asked to take his ashes and scatter them in an undisclosed place, He didn’t want anyone digging them up. She did as he wished, a long time after he had passed, and the paparazzi weren’t hanging out watching her every move. She will take it to her grave where that place was.
Love You Freddie…Always♥️

Jun 28, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #24,915 of 36,081

Users who are viewing this thread

Back