The Audio Lounge
Dec 11, 2019 at 7:02 AM Post #21,616 of 36,138
When you say "laggy", do you mean the response of the UI to touches on the screen, or do you mean there are problems with the audio performance?
Most of my music is FLAC rips of my CD collection (16-Bit / 44.1-KHz), with a few downloaded HiRes (24-Bit / 96 - 192-KHz) FLAC files as well.
With my Android DAP, I use it a lot for listening to streaming media (Spotify, Google Music, YouTube, etc.) - but I have cancelled my Tidal HiRes account (didn't have enough music that I like to listen to).
I do like the idea of a pair of Sabre ES9028PRO DACs in a portable device - it's like the big brother of my Onkyo DP-X1.
I mean overall performance using screen and app...I owned 208 and it did sound great and I'm sure 228 equally so, but for me the battery life is not acceptable for the price of the device, I understand though that it uses a lot of power for amp8 and that is part of the trade off ...think if you can live with short battery usage then it's a great device but for me and my use it's not.

Edit...heard of people getting only 4 to 5 hours playback on 220

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 7:46 AM Post #21,617 of 36,138
Just recieved this from penon all the way to the UK
20191211_124237.jpg
Very nice of them, but I'm now wondering wheres the sp1000m I put on my wishlist :thinking:

Dec 11, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #21,618 of 36,138
I've seen several mentions of the iBasso DX160, but the only DAPs that are listed on the iBasso website, are: DX220, DX200, DX150, & DX120.
Was the DX160 a special, limited edition device?

Dec 11, 2019 at 8:55 AM Post #21,619 of 36,138
WOW: Hell

Dec 11, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #21,620 of 36,138

Very nice of them, but I'm now wondering wheres the sp1000m I put on my wishlist :thinking:
Got my card from Penon a couple of days ago, really nice of them. I actually received two last year, felt very special.

Dec 11, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #21,621 of 36,138

Got my card from Penon a couple of days ago, really nice of them. I actually received two last year, felt very special.

So how do you get in Penons list for one of these? Reviewing would be pretty cool.

Dec 11, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #21,624 of 36,138
I've seen several mentions of the iBasso DX160, but the only DAPs that are listed on the iBasso website, are: DX220, DX200, DX150, & DX120.

It's a bit weird, but all legit lol.
It's been available for sale from some retailers for a while (including Amazon!), but for some reason isn't yet listed on iBasso's website :p
And to make matters more complicated, there was also a special limited edition DX160 that was released, but again only through a particular retailer (I forget which).

The general vibe seems to be don't use this if you want to use Bluetooth, and possibly wifi/streaming?
Mainly Bluetooth is getting the bad press; there's people who say it works fine for them (and I mean regular customers, not just the ones who get free review units) and others who say it's terrible.
Given this dichotomy, I'm guessing it might depend on the Bluetooth IEMs/device used, along with the usual environmental factors?

I just stick a micro-SD card in and play music from that, disabling wifi, Bluetooth etc from the moment I received it, so I can't comment on such things personally.

What I can say is that it sounds flat-out fantastic. Pretty much as good as DX220 (I'll be A/B testing them thoroughly against each other for my upcoming review), at a fraction of the price.
Plus the slim form factor, attractive appearance, gorgeous screen and snappy UI all make it a winner for me.
So it all depends upon how you plan to use it I suppose.
It will be a dream DAP for some, but possibly a nightmare for others :p

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #21,625 of 36,138
It's a bit weird, but all legit lol.
It's been available for sale from some retailers for a while (including Amazon!), but for some reason isn't yet listed on iBasso's website :p
And to make matters more complicated, there was also a special limited edition DX160 that was released, but again only through a particular retailer (I forget which).

The general vibe seems to be don't use this if you want to use Bluetooth, and possibly wifi/streaming?
Mainly Bluetooth is getting the bad press; there's people who say it works fine for them (and I mean regular customers, not just the ones who get free review units) and others who say it's terrible.
Given this dichotomy, I'm guessing it might depend on the Bluetooth IEMs/device used, along with the usual environmental factors?

I just stick a micro-SD card in and play music from that, disabling wifi, Bluetooth etc from the moment I received it, so I can't comment on such things personally.

What I can say is that it sounds flat-out fantastic. Pretty much as good as DX220 (I'll be A/B testing them thoroughly against each other for my upcoming review), at a fraction of the price.
Plus the slim form factor, attractive appearance, gorgeous screen and snappy UI all make it a winner for me.
So it all depends upon how you plan to use it I suppose.
It will be a dream DAP for some, but possibly a nightmare for others :p

Couldn't have put it better myself ....and it does sound fantastic.

Dec 11, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #21,626 of 36,138

You can email Paul from ibasso he will be able to answer your question. He responds quicker to emails than if you PM him or tag him in a post.

I own the dx220 and while UI performance is not flag ship smartphone it is by far from unusable. For me it’s a non issue. But I can see where majo is coming from. From a sleep state, there is a lag in response but once awake I find it quite useable. As for battery life, I don’t have the time in my life right now to be able to listen for 4-6 hours and this is a device that I use at home and or work so I always have a charger close at hand. But I love the sound profile of ibasso especially when booted to the mango OS. I don’t own the dx160 but have read posts and views that the UI experience is better and sounds very close to dx220 with default amp 1 mk2 amp module. But you lose the ability to swap out amp modules. If thats a criteria you were after.

paul@ibasso.com

Dec 11, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #21,630 of 36,138
So how do you get in Penons list for one of these? Reviewing would be pretty cool.
think its just buying from them a bit , don't mean much really but hey in my opinion it is a nice touch as they still have to send and write the envelope out ....shows a bit of personal touch and I have always liked shopping with penon, they are probably who I have used most out of UK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back