The Audio Lounge
Aug 23, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #2,087 of 36,215
Damn, you guys keep talking about the iDSD BL now I have to look into it...Must. Resist. Spending. More. Money.

But seriously, I have also been really considering the Mojo/Poly combo as well...
Wondering. What specific aspects of the Poly is attractive you? Hiby link has covered some of the Poly aspects but not others. I wanted to see what you were thinking.

Aug 23, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #2,088 of 36,215
I have to say it was my own stupidity that held me back in the first place...i.e not reading properly about playing while charging as I would only use as desktop.

The way I figure it is that wherever you read that, the person probably turned the iDSD on before plugging it to the PC and it used the iDSD's battery until it died and he assumed you couldn't charge and play. I could totally see how that could happen.

Aug 23, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #2,089 of 36,215
Wondering. What specific aspects of the Poly is attractive you? Hiby link has covered some of the Poly aspects but not others. I wanted to see what you were thinking.

It was more about the way the unit came together aesthetically than the functionality. Also having the ability to use the sd slot for even more music storage was enticing. In reality, it will come down to more of just the Mojo vs.the iDSD.

Aug 23, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #2,090 of 36,215
The way I figure it is that wherever you read that, the person probably turned the iDSD on before plugging it to the PC and it used the iDSD's battery until it died and he assumed you couldn't charge and play. I could totally see how that could happen.

Well hey I read up on everything to stupid extent some times that I over think what I'm buying..i think you probably remember chatting to me before about idsd.
I may have just read somewhere and took it as right but it did put me off a bit ...but i have chatted so much about idsd with loads including dobrescu george a little who told me he loved it and someone else who had ifi pro ican and mojo who also lived the black label.

Aug 23, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #2,091 of 36,215
It was more about the way the unit came together aesthetically than the functionality. Also having the ability to use the sd slot for even more music storage was enticing. In reality, it will come down to more of just the Mojo vs.the iDSD.
Well the way this thread has gone today and idsd black label talk i could own both within a month so I can say which I prefer. others I have spoke to say the both bring equal measure to the table in different ways.

Aug 23, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #2,092 of 36,215
Well hey I read up on everything to stupid extent some times that I over think what I'm buying..i think you probably remember chatting to me before about idsd.
I may have just read somewhere and took it as right but it did put me off a bit ...but i have chatted so much about idsd with loads including dobrescu george a little who told me he loved it and someone else who had ifi pro ican and mojo who also lived the black label.

It never hurts to research like you do. I wish I had on more than a few things I've bought along the way in this hobby, lol. Once, when I was getting started in the headphone game, I bought.......Skullcandy!

:p

Aug 23, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #2,093 of 36,215
It never hurts to research like you do. I wish I had on more than a few things I've bought along the way in this hobby, lol. Once, when I was getting started in the headphone game, I bought.......Skullcandy!

I would of been happy with that mistake as it didn't cost the earth...its when you buy expensive and it doesn't workout it realy hurts, I bought sony xba 4ip my first hybrid and although they weren't awful , the bass was a bit muddy and the highs could be a bit piercing they were so uncomfortable and realy expensive lol
You live and learn.

Aug 23, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #2,094 of 36,215
I would of been happy with that mistake as it didn't cost the earth...its when you buy expensive and it doesn't workout it realy hurts, I bought sony xba 4ip my first hybrid and although they weren't awful , the bass was a bit muddy and the highs could be a bit piercing they were so uncomfortable and realy expensive lol
You live and learn.

That's funny because my first hybrid was the Sony XBA-H1 and I hated them as well. Anemic bass and shouty treble, I was happy to see them sold.

Aug 23, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #2,096 of 36,215
It was a SCAM! They went silent several days ago and posted today that they are bust. After receiving about 10M preorders. Interesting that the only way to get a refund is after you receive your earbuds.

They actually did make products though, so I feel like the issues got to them... Reminds me of someone. :p

Aug 23, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #2,097 of 36,215
A serious question I have been meaning to ask you all, I have gone from wearing multi driver iems to single driver (flarespro) and I have to say with the size of the flarespro it's been quite refreshing going back to single driver , I'm looking for a work iem preferably under £180 any single driver suggestions?

Aug 23, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #2,098 of 36,215
My very first IEM was a SkullCandy, but I didn't buy it myself. Was a gift from a friend. Then when it broke, I figured I should buy something theoretically better. |joker|'s huge review thread was definitely a big help with that. I ended up starting with the MEElectronics M11+ because I was still in the time when I wanted nothing other than barrel-style IEMs and thought "I'm spending so much money on an IEM, it's a whole $30!".......and here I am typing this with a JH16 Pro FP in my ears. How times have changed :p

Aug 23, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #2,099 of 36,215
I will make the disclaimer here that I haven't read the Mojo and Poly threads. I saw the announcement about the Poly and looked at the specs. Shortly after the Poly was released, the Shanling M1, then M2S and the Cayin N3 were released. (I know I've mentioned these a bunch. Sorry. One of the things I HAVE been reading a bunch on.)

With the N3/M1/M2s, you can download the HibyLink software. This will allow you to use a smartphone to control the DAP remotely. It will also allow you to stream services from your phone like Tidal and such. Main down side to that is that the Bluetooth is not high quality APTX. I think i read where it will stream CD quality 16/44 fine, but not high res Tidal.

The mentioned DAPs will of course have the micro SD card storage you reference. They can also be connected direct USB digital out. And I think the M2S may have optical. So you should be able to get bit for bit from the DAPs to the the Mojo.

What the Poly will give you is 2.4GHz wifi access to your NAS and the bluetooth is A2DP.

Not trying to dissuade you, just saying there are less expensive options out there that will do 80% of what the Poly will do.

That is a brief overview. If there are any of those that may need more specifics, I may be able to help.

Aug 23, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #2,100 of 36,215
I will make the disclaimer here that I haven't read the Mojo and Poly threads. I saw the announcement about the Poly and looked at the specs. Shortly after the Poly was released, the Shanling M1, then M2S and the Cayin N3 were released. (I know I've mentioned these a bunch. Sorry. One of the things I HAVE been reading a bunch on.)

With the N3/M1/M2s, you can download the HibyLink software. This will allow you to use a smartphone to control the DAP remotely. It will also allow you to stream services from your phone like Tidal and such. Main down side to that is that the Bluetooth is not high quality APTX. I think i read where it will stream CD quality 16/44 fine, but not high res Tidal.

The mentioned DAPs will of course have the micro SD card storage you reference. They can also be connected direct USB digital out. And I think the M2S may have optical. So you should be able to get bit for bit from the DAPs to the the Mojo.

What the Poly will give you is 2.4GHz wifi access to your NAS and the bluetooth is A2DP.

Not trying to dissuade you, just saying there are less expensive options out there that will do 80% of what the Poly will do.

That is a brief overview. If there are any of those that may need more specifics, I may be able to help.

Thanks for that. To be perfectly frank, I don't know what my immediate plans are. I looked at the form factor in both the Mojo-Poly and iDSD and now unsure if I want to even go there. I have streamlined my stuff down to almost essentials so just not sure what I want to do. I have the X5iii and A5 strapped to it and that gives some wonderful sounds. Now that I have the X3iii, that will be my portable go-to when out and about. My older X3ii will serve as transport for my rekindled home system. Trying to bring back life an older 80s system and play modern digital files on it.

Also looking to save some cash for a new over-ear phone sometime this Fall. So many things and so little cash. I'll keep poking at the iDSD and Mojo idea until something comes into focus...

btw- had the N3 and sold it, didn't like the UI. Chose the X3iii over the Shanling as I did not like the scroll wheel that is the same as the one I had on the M2 v1.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back