The Audio Lounge
Aug 23, 2017 at 12:37 AM Post #2,011 of 36,192
The only thing I disliked about my x5 was the choice of BT and wifi chipset they picked for the device. And the fact I have a defective screen... Otherwise it has done me good. Obviously, being an Android tinkerer I would have enjoyed more freedom on the OS side, but I do understand why they did it the way they did...

On another note, got a message back from 64 audio. If I order the U8, they will send me a demo U6 as well. :wink: All I have to do is ship back the one I won't keep at my expense. :) Pretty neat! Will call them tomorrow.
What's wrong with the BT and wifi? Doesn't make any difference to me, just curious. So far, the only thing I wouldn't have liked about your particular unit is that it has a defective screen.
Nice on the 64Audio stuff! They were some really nice guys, met them at their booth. They came all the way out our little Seattle Head-Fi meet a couple years ago when they debuted their ADEL tech.

Aug 23, 2017 at 12:37 AM Post #2,012 of 36,192
Shoot lol!!! There goes my hobby money that I allocated last month lmao.

It was meant for bowling and fine dining and sightseeing and other expensive activities my co workers like to do. I can always cancel them and be secluded on my flickering laptop screen at home with all of you lol. :p
And be 1'200 and 1'100 poorer
The second bit. I'm in favor of the second bit :p

Aug 23, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #2,013 of 36,192
The second bit. I'm in favor of the second bit :p
Tomorrow they are planning to take me to a $200 steak filet mignon dinner and some expensive winery up at Napa.

Im going to pretend after work I ate some bad food and suffering from food poison and head home right away lol. Practicing some acting right now for tomorrow evening.
Secretly order the second bit.

Arghhh my spleen! I admit this is some of worst acting I've ever seen. But I hope it's believable lol.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2017 at 1:17 AM Post #2,014 of 36,192
Secretly order the second bit
I'm going to be a contrarian and call you crazy :wink:
Of course not really, but... you've got such nice stuff I would slow down and take the time to smell the roses :)
Go too fast and what do you have left to aim for?
Opus #1 looks great, Andromeda equally so, why not spend some time (and less money :wink:) and settle in with that until you are clear what direction you want to go in next?
Give you even more to discuss with us, as you gradually hit heights that some of us (ok, me :wink:) are slightly jealous of. :) :) :)

Aug 23, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #2,015 of 36,192
I've only ever had one issue with a FiiO product. The K5 amp I bought was defective, had a lifeless sound and had some static. Amazon took it back, so I can't speak to the FiiO customer service. However, someone would have to do bodily harm to me to get my E17k, lol. I just got my daughter one for her AKG IEMs and she's loving it. She's trying to now convert her friends away from Beats, lol.
I've only ever had one issue with a FiiO product. The K5 amp I bought was defective, had a lifeless sound and had some static. Amazon took it back, so I can't speak to the FiiO customer service. However, someone would have to do bodily harm to me to get my E17k, lol. I just got my daughter one for her AKG IEMs and she's loving it. She's trying to now convert her friends away from Beats, lol.

I also returned my fiio k5 for the same reasons it was the only product that I have bought from fiio that I thought was a total waste of money...had 4 different fiio daps , the fiio x7 gen 1 is good but wifi is rubbish and it did take way to long for them to get the software right i.e like x5lll but they do communicate with the community well.
Still prefer oppy1 sound quality though.

Aug 23, 2017 at 4:41 AM Post #2,016 of 36,192
Well I would rather have a new player than $200 steak meals and wine. But, not sure I would keep buying the same brands over and over ( he says after buying 2 different sets of M&J headphones). Once the portable rig is nailed down, I would work on the desktop system or even home stereo speaker system. More variety vs incremental improvements with the same brands.

Aug 23, 2017 at 5:46 AM Post #2,017 of 36,192
Shameless plug - and not intending to lure people away from this excellent thread. Just wanting to see if having a review with ability to comment and discuss easily enables more participation (one thing I genuinely miss about the old forum). Trying it with my own reviews first - and putting it on my blog so I don't clutter the forum seems the right thing to do. Anyway - open to discussion:
BROOKO'S REVIEW & DISCUSSION - LZ Big Dipper IEM

Comment in the thread/blog if you think its a good or bad idea.

Aug 23, 2017 at 5:48 AM Post #2,018 of 36,192
More variety, the beginning of buying stuff and ...
...keep it. :wink:

One of my best purchases is my QED A240SA, unfortunately got a little hum at the tweeters and midrange, maybe the toroidal transformer.
I like that old stuff from 70s - 90s.

Back to headphones:
Someone knows German Maestro (formerly known as MB Quart) phones? The GMP 400 looks nice and it's not so pricey.

Aug 23, 2017 at 6:47 AM Post #2,020 of 36,192
I admit that I need to slow down on getting stuff. I just pulled the trigger on the MD TFZ King IEM. I need to sit and really listen to all my new stuff before I get more. I am also hoping to save money for NightOwls sometime in the Fall. I commend all those who can out and get new stuff continually. JaeYoon, if it makes you happy, go for it. Get what you want.

I find acquiring gear much more satisfying than doing adventures, sometimes. At least at the end, you still have the gear. But in the end, I have to remind myself that it's all about the music. That's why we're here, right? Got to set some time aside, slow down and just listen.

Aug 23, 2017 at 6:52 AM Post #2,021 of 36,192
I admit that I need to slow down on getting stuff. I just pulled the trigger on the MD TFZ King IEM. I need to sit and really listen to all my new stuff before I get more. I am also hoping to save money for NightOwls sometime in the Fall. I commend all those who can out and get new stuff continually. JaeYoon, if it makes you happy, go for it. Get what you want.

I find acquiring gear much more satisfying than doing adventures, sometimes. At least at the end, you still have the gear. But in the end, I have to remind myself that it's all about the music. That's why we're here, right? Got to set some time aside, slow down and just listen.
Yeah I think Im going to heed advice here.
I might as well keep my Opus 1 as my main dap for a long time. Theres nothing else I like that has dual slots.

I have dropped 454 usd on a new idsd black label on amazon for same day delivery lol. Im going to use it as a portable charger for my opus at the office and since Im going to be stationary. I think is a way better investment than another dap.

I like opus 1 sound enough to go without idsd if I wanted to!

I also bought a badass water resistant backpack with dozens of pockets where I can carry my idsd micro in a pocket along with my opus 1 and secure it off amazon.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2017 at 7:34 AM Post #2,022 of 36,192
What's wrong with the BT and wifi? Doesn't make any difference to me, just curious. So far, the only thing I wouldn't have liked about your particular unit is that it has a defective screen.
Nice on the 64Audio stuff! They were some really nice guys, met them at their booth. They came all the way out our little Seattle Head-Fi meet a couple years ago when they debuted their ADEL tech.

The wifi and BT chip is a 3 year old chip. BT doesn't support APT-X HD which makes no sense to me on a mid-fi player. 2.4 ghz wifi only, weak antennas so weak signal... Overall, a very poor wireless implementation all around.

Aug 23, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #2,023 of 36,192
Hmmm maybe I could consider a idsd black with optical out for opus 1 at home

Think that's a good choice as in its highly rated and loads of power...when I bought mojo it was also one of my choices and still is, I have considered it a few times as a desktop option , I spoke to a few that own mojo and black label, was told that mojo more resolve but black label is more bodied and sense of space, mojo more intimate so in general they preferred black label over all but very close.
Lots of happy customers on the thread.

Aug 23, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #2,024 of 36,192
Think that's a good choice as in its highly rated and loads of power...when I bought mojo it was also one of my choices and still is, I have considered it a few times as a desktop option , I spoke to a few that own mojo and black label, was told that mojo more resolve but black label is more bodied and sense of space, mojo more intimate so in general they preferred black label over all but very close.
Lots of happy customers on the thread.
Thanks!! Yeah a friend here from fiio forum just sent me a pm about his idsd black. I thought itd be a better investment.
Dual storage slots for opus 1 means 256 gb sticks with lots of lossless files.

Plus idsd has a lot of battery life over 12 hours of playback.

Im also gonna check out that thread!
Also its just in case hissing exists on Opus 1. I can still be able to keep using opus 1!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back