The Audio Lounge
Aug 22, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #1,983 of 36,163
I don't know how different the PM6 and Hunters will be... Bob was saying at some point that if you're onboard with the PM6, not bother with the hunter. Guess I heeded his suggestions after all. :p
Wayne's World }} Doodley Do Doodley Do {{ dissolve effect...
Way back in the day when Bob was creating the phantom series and the PM6 and the Hunter were going pre-order at about the same time, I was going to order the PM6. And they were creating new cables and stuff too. I figured that if the Hunter came with the cables and was pretty close to the PM6, that I would just go ahead and order the Hunter. For once in my life, I got lucky.
Wayne's World }} Doodley Do Doodley Do {{ resolve effect...

Aug 22, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #1,984 of 36,163
For those who are interested in @JustBobski 's new IEM, I alluded have done brief impressions of the IMR-R1 on here at some point tomorrow evening UK time - full review will follow in a week or so.

Very early thoughts after 4 days listening and some comparisons: these are good. Great bass (that huge 13mm Be driver can really kick out some low end) with excellent extension down as low as anything else I have, and a nice sub to mid bass transition without too much "hump".

Mids and treble are nicely balanced, and good detail retrieval and most importantly, no harshness or unusual spikes Very organic and old school tube style sound signature, and probably the best tuning I've heard from Bob (never heard the Delta or Icarus III though). Treble is doing and clear rather than sharp or brittle.

Design and comfort are good, and limiting the filters to 5 means each of them actually have a distinct effect. Purple and green are my favourites at the moment - with the purple, there can be a little too much bass on some tracks (not boomy, just big), so have been gravitating towards the more mid forward green filters, which naive a balancing effect on the low end body. Actually, with the green, they remind me of the old Aurisonics ASG range a little.

The open/closed ports don't make a drastic difference to the sound, but do release a bit of pressure from the DD, giving the sound a slightly airier feel and dropping the bass a little. It actually allows for some fine tuning of the sound on top of the filter system, so I think it's pretty well implemented. Isolation take a little guy, but not massive, and once music is playing, you don't notice.

Where the Hunter is cold and ultra detailed, the R1 is warmer and much more full bodied - bottom line, I think I like these.

Will try and get some brief comparisons done for tomorrow, along with a fuller writeup. Politics and supposition about previous employers/pre order models aside, these are a very nice sounding set of in ear monitors, and do very well at sucking me into my music, which is something that not all my gear ends up doing. They won't be the be all and end all for those looking for ultra detail or analytical doing, but I think Bob is definitely on the right track with these in terms of making something most people will enjoy.

I can also see these being popular with bassheads - the silver filters can seriously move some air!

Aug 22, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #1,985 of 36,163
Something trinity audio engineering could not do for me.

As promised by Campfire support. My andromedas have been constructed at portland oregon and shipped in 2 business days.

No next week. Next next week.
Screenshot_2017-08-22-16-34-59.png

Aug 22, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #1,986 of 36,163
Damn you fiio!!!

I was going to let this go - as I was not sure if meant in jest or not. But here is the thing - there are a lot of different expectations with audio devices, and everyone has their own idea of what is important to them. My X5iii (which is what you were responding to - ie someone else's defective unit) has been very stable right from the word go. In fact the only instability I'm getting at the moment is because Shadow and Sunny are having me test some beta software for them (and its unfortunately creating a few issues). The nice thing though is that they're getting some people to help and its not going out to gen-pub without some testing first.

Now why am I responding - simply because Jae's response isn't fair IMO. One defective unit (and there may be others) - but no data on the number of people who are ecstatically happy with the X5iii (I'm one) - and the response is "damn you FiiO". I can't hink of another DAP on the market with comparable hardware and software (and support) at under $400. And they have dedicated people on the forums constantly responding to issues, trying to prioritise bug fixes, even apologising for users inconvenience for Pete's sake - and the response is "damn you FiiO".

I really can't think of any company on Head-Fi who spends more time with their customer base, arranges more tours, listens to more requests, issues more fw updates, and delivers the hardware they do at the price they do.

- and the response is "damn you FiiO"

I'd change it to "thank you FiiO"

You don't always get it right, and sometimes you even break stuff in an endeavour to cater to our whims, but you're always listening and trying to deliver what we want.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #1,987 of 36,163
I ordered 2 different sets of earbuds on AliExpress, 14th and 16th August and both came yesterday and that's from China. So Trinity are in some mess :)

Aug 22, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #1,988 of 36,163
I was going to let this go - as I was not sure if meant in jest or not. But here is the thing - there are a lot of different expectations with audio devices, and everyone has their own idea of what is important to them. My X5iii (which is what you were responding to - ie someone else's defective unit) has been very stable right from the word go. In fact the only instability I'm getting at the moment is because Shadow and Sunny are having me test some beta software for them (and its unfortunately creating a few issues). The nice thing though is that they're getting some people to help and its not going out to gen-pub without some testing first.

Now why am I responding - simply because Jae's response isn't fair IMO. One defective unit (and there may be others) - but no data on the number of people who are ecstatically happy with the X5iii (I'm one) - and the response is "damn you FiiO". I can't hink of another DAP on the market with comparable hardware and software (and support) at under $400. And they have dedicated people on the forums constantly responding to issues, trying to prioritise bug fixes, even apologising for users inconvenience for Pete's sake - and the response is "damn you FiiO".

I really can't think of any company on Head-Fi who spends more time with their customer base, arranges more tours, listens to more requests, issues more fw updates, and delivers the hardware they do at the price they do.

- and the response is "damn you FiiO"

I'd change it to "thank you FiiO"

You don't always get it right, and sometimes you even break stuff in an endeavour to cater to our whims, but you're always listening and trying to deliver what we want.

Thank you.

I'm almost 100% that it was in jest.

Aug 22, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #1,989 of 36,163
Aug 22, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #1,990 of 36,163
Can't tell sometimes when post used exclamation marks instead of winky smiley .... :wink:
I dont mean to be against fiio.

I mean it because karendar deserves a working fiio unit.

Think of a friend who you met during something like trinity waiting era. You want them to have a good musical unit whereever they may be. This is not a hit against fiio

Its like a tribal mentality kinda thing

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017 at 8:14 PM Post #1,993 of 36,163
Yes - but is the generalisation deserved? As a FiiO owner (and yes I have bought many of my devices - they are not all review samples), I guess I have somewhat of a different outlook. Every manufacturer will have hardware issues with the odd device from time to time. Its how they deal with those RMAs that defines them as a company. I see a single complaint and its "knock them between the eyes". I see complaints in the various FiiO threads as well - but have you noticed that a lot of it is very vocal from a relatively small base. Lots of noise. The actual reality of dealing with their devices (and yes some of them do have some issues) paints a far different picture overall. Or maybe I've just been lucky .......

Aug 22, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #1,994 of 36,163
Yes - but is the generalisation deserved? As a FiiO owner (and yes I have bought many of my devices - they are not all review samples), I guess I have somewhat of a different outlook. Every manufacturer will have hardware issues with the odd device from time to time. Its how they deal with those RMAs that defines them as a company. I see a single complaint and its "knock them between the eyes". I see complaints in the various FiiO threads as well - but have you noticed that a lot of it is very vocal from a relatively small base. Lots of noise. The actual reality of dealing with their devices (and yes some of them do have some issues) paints a far different picture overall. Or maybe I've just been lucky .......
If Olddude4 or miko or majo or anyone in here, had a bad unit from any company. I would've said same jest.
But I wouldn't take it out on company personally. It's probably a bad unit. I mean I was in Opus #1 thread with a bad opus #1 that couldn't play any songs. I waited and got Opus Metal and everything was all good.

Aug 22, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #1,995 of 36,163
BTW - I'm not picking on you either Jae :)

I just find it interesting that despite everything they do, they're still slated. Yet I often see more expensive devices from other companies with inferior features and not much support treated like darlings. Just makes an interesting discussion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back