The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
May 30, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #7,486 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skorpitarius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UPDATE :

I turned it off for awhile (bout half hour) and just powered it back on and its back to normal ... very strange ... maybe it was tired ? Needed a smoke break and a cocktail ??
smily_headphones1.gif

In any case, very relieved obviously ...
Will not be using that high-gain switch setting again ... has something to do with it ?

It's sounding really good also .... opening up ... more detail .... etcetra, etcetra ...(listening via Sony MDR-SA5000 'phones ...)

k701smile.gif

Like I had suggested it was likely due to a strange usb error. My computer did not read it when I first connected it but after a bit and some unplug and replug actions it detected it. As far as the high gain doing anything, I have used only the high gain setting on my 250ohm DT990 and now have 74Hours burn in. The compass has never been off more than 2min for a system reboot.

May 30, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #7,487 of 7,725
I have read great things about the compass and I'm planning on buying one soon before the price jumps.

Before I buy I need to know what cables I will need to make this work.I already read the the FAQ and searched the thread but I am still confused(New to Head- Fi).

-I have a iPod Touch 1G. Can I just use a normal iPod USB to make this work or will I need a 3.5"mm to RCA cable.

-Also can I plug in the RCA into the Line In plugs to bypass the DAC and just use the AMP.(I read that in the FAQ, Or am I confused).

-For the DAC can I just use a USB to connect my laptop to the DAC.

Thanks in advance to any help

May 30, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #7,488 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by PID /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have read great things about the compass and I'm planning on buying one soon before the price jumps.

Before I buy I need to know what cables I will need to make this work.I already read the the FAQ and searched the thread but I am still confused(New to Head- Fi).

-I have a iPod Touch 1G. Can I just use a normal iPod USB to make this work or will I need a 3.5"mm to RCA cable.

-Also can I plug in the RCA into the Line In plugs to bypass the DAC and just use the AMP.(I read that in the FAQ, Or am I confused).

Thanks in advance to any help

If you want to use just the amp part then you need to connect an analog input to it via RCA and use the device in super mode. When connected to a computer you can use it in non super mode via USB, Coax or Optical; so that it processes the sound in the DAC and then amps it to your headphones or your speakers ect if using the preamp option.

So, for any device that does not have USB output with driver support (if you can plug an external HDD ect into it then it can talk to the compass via USB so all computers should work but not things like phones/mp3 players) or coax/optical output you will need to use the RCA input and then use the device as just an amp in super mode. On your laptop USB, Coax, Optical will work fine as long as you have the connector.
icon10.gif

Hey, for those interested in clear plexi top I found a place that sells and will custom cut to the needed size for less than $5 this is a great deal! I have not ordered from them before but I think that on Monday I might place an order and get a nice top for my compass: http://www.delviesplastics.com/mm5/m...lic_Sheet_Page

May 30, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #7,489 of 7,725
coolbeans maybe holes in it to let out heat?

May 30, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #7,490 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I doesn't get very hot. Kingwa didn't want holes because it let's in dust which can cause overheating on individual components coated with dust. The other consideration, albeit most likely insignificant, is that the top is a part of the heat dissipation system.

May 30, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #7,491 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by comedian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As you can see below my Compass was passed over to UK customs on the 26th of May, how long does it normally take for it to pass through customs and what courier will it be handed to for the final leg of the delivery process?

This sounds like it has been sent via DHL. If this is the case, you'll have to call them and ask them politely to process your Compass faster. They are notoriously bad when it comes to customs inspections.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PID /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You need the latter. The iPod can't do digital output, except using the Wadia iTransport.

Quote:

You're not confused, you've got it perfectly.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Compass does not have a heat issue and does not need holes. When the case gets warm, it means the heat dissipation is working as it should, as the heat from the components is being passed, as it should, to the case.

May 30, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #7,492 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This sounds like it has been sent via DHL. If this is the case, you'll have to call them and ask them politely to process your Compass faster. They are notoriously bad when it comes to customs inspections.

Thanks Currawong, I'll get on to them first thing on Monday morning.

May 31, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #7,493 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by sulcata_geo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Compass was already over 1,000hrs burn-in.
Setup of my Compass is HDAM Sun V2 without earth wire + bright setting.
Main headphone is ATH-W5000.

The sound of Sun V2 without earth wire is more detailed and more airy than Sun V2 with earth wire or HDAM Earth. The treble is not horrible for my ear.

I've compared Compass DAC>Compass amp and Compass DAC>PS Audio GCHA.
GCHA is slightly more detailed. But the difference is not so big.

For me , Compass is good DAC/Headphone amp combo.

Thanks for the impressions with the ATH-W5000, I was hoping to find some opinions on this combination.

May 31, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #7,494 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by comedian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As you can see below my Compass was passed over to UK customs on the 26th of May, how long does it normally take for it to pass through customs and what courier will it be handed to for the final leg of the delivery process?

I'm concerned that it has been several days and I've heard nothing, hopefully I'm just being impatient but I like to check these things and don't like not being able to track it's progress.

Any UK Compass buyers have a similar experience?

Your item was handed over to Customs(UNITED KINGDOM COVENTRY PF) at 2009-05-26 20:08:00

Timing Site Status
2009-05-24 13:59:00 GUANGZHOU Posting
2009-05-24 14:38:00 GUANGZHOU Despatch from Sorting Center
2009-05-24 17:07:00 GUANGZHOU Arrival at Sorting Center
2009-05-24 20:14:00 GUANGZHOU Despatch from Sorting Center
2009-05-26 20:08:00 UNITED KINGDOM COVENTRY PF Arrival at Sorting Center
2009-05-26 20:08:00 UNITED KINGDOM COVENTRY PF Handed over to Customs

I can no longer view my tracking information(do they purge it after a while?) But... using DHL, my Compass was shipped on the 20th January(email from Kingwa on the 22nd) At UK Heathrow on the 23rd, and in my hands before 10am on the 26th. 24th and 25th were the weekend.

I can't see what happened at customs, as I can no longer view my tracking information online.
frown.gif

~Phewl.

May 31, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #7,495 of 7,725
Has anyone tried contacting Audio-GD lately?
I can't get kingwa or Cherry reply to my emails and answer my questions.

May 31, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #7,497 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by punk_guy182 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone tried contacting Audio-GD lately?
I can't get kingwa or Cherry reply to my emails and answer my questions.

Wouldn't hurt to let them have off the weekend every once in a while...

May 31, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #7,499 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aslan123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I contacted them yesterday asking about the total price. They replied within 10 minutes.

That's weird. I sent them emails on the 22nd and today. I'll wait a bit for their reply.

May 31, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #7,500 of 7,725
^ Looks like you have a similar problem that I had before... did you get an automated reply from them? The first time I emailed them I didn't, and did not receive a reply... second time around though, I got an automated reply and a "real" reply soon after.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back