The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
May 30, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #7,471 of 7,725
Well, I think I'm going to hop on the bandwagon before the prices go up in June.

Only issue for me is method of payment. I don't have paypal, so I guess I'm going to have to use Western Union? I've never used it before, and am concerned about the added cost. Can anyone guess how much it will cost to send a western union from Canada to China?

I've used MoneyGram before, which is supposed to be cheaper, so hopefully it won't present too much of a problem. If it's 30 bucks or something, I will pass on it, as the extra costs can start to really add up when we're talking about a value unit.

I've asked for a quote with an additional HDAM, the Moon, but am a little unsure whether I'll actually use it, as I'm not much of a tweaker.

I'm going to be using the compass with Grado cans, probably RS-1's, so any feedback about the most popular HDAM for Grado's would be useful- I've read the reviews, but it's still not that clear to me.

Are Grado's a good match with the compass? It seems like most users are pairing the compass with Senns or AKG's....even Denons, but not as many Grado's.

May 30, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #7,472 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by roy_jones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I think I'm going to hop on the bandwagon before the prices go up in June.

Only issue for me is method of payment. I don't have paypal, so I guess I'm going to have to use Western Union? I've never used it before, and am concerned about the added cost. Can anyone guess how much it will cost to send a western union from Canada to China?

I've used MoneyGram before, which is supposed to be cheaper, so hopefully it won't present too much of a problem. If it's 30 bucks or something, I will pass on it, as the extra costs can start to really add up when we're talking about a value unit.

I've asked for a quote with an additional HDAM, the Moon, but am a little unsure whether I'll actually use it, as I'm not much of a tweaker.

I'm going to be using the compass with Grado cans, probably RS-1's, so any feedback about the most popular HDAM for Grado's would be useful- I've read the reviews, but it's still not that clear to me.

Are Grado's a good match with the compass? It seems like most users are pairing the compass with Senns or AKG's....even Denons, but not as many Grado's.

I have GS1K, 125, 225, and MS1s. It runs them all beautifully.

May 30, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #7,473 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have GS1K, 125, 225, and MS1s. It runs them all beautifully.

Thank-you very much for the feedback.

I've been reading so much about how Grado's (the RS-1 in particular) need a tube amp that it kinda made me wonder. I feel reassured.

I've read some seemingly contradictory stuff about the Moon HDAM, it seems that it is marketed as a more "tube-ish" sounding option, but in the reviews I've read, it seems less clear to me that it has those characteristics.

I figured I'd add the Moon OPA to my order on the basis of it potentially synergizing with the Grado's, but I'm a very broke audiophile and am hoping to avoid any unnecessary costs/options whenever possible...

May 30, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #7,474 of 7,725
Quote:

Thank-you very much for the feedback.

I've been reading so much about how Grado's (the RS-1 in particular) need a tube amp that it kinda made me wonder. I feel reassured.

I've read some seemingly contradictory stuff about the Moon HDAM, it seems that it is marketed as a more "tube-ish" sounding option, but in the reviews I've read, it seems less clear to me that it has those characteristics.

I figured I'd add the Moon OPA to my order on the basis of it potentially synergizing with the Grado's, but I'm a very broke audiophile and am hoping to avoid any unnecessary costs/options whenever possible...

Everybody to their own. I didn't like the Moon. My SUN is bad so I can't speak to it. The Moon just seem too dark and non detailed. IMO.

May 30, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #7,475 of 7,725
Although it is clearly a subjective matter, would it be a smart idea to start a thread in which we list cans suited to each of Kingwa's opamps? Much of the discussion here revolves around whether one should purchase based on the sound and it's suitability to their cans. The defining component is the opamp, so perhaps people can state (or list in the FAQ) which opamps suit their cans......

May 30, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #7,476 of 7,725
My Compass is refusing to put any sound out tonight for some reason .
Blue l.e.d. is on, USB cable is connected. Winamp is on via ASIO ...
Nothing ...
I restarted p.c. ... still nothing .
Anyone have any idea What is going on ?!
frown.gif
(

May 30, 2009 at 6:12 AM Post #7,477 of 7,725
Quote:

someone can correct me if I'm wrong about this, but a chinese friend told me that she paid a flat 50 USD to transfer money from the US to China.

Also, I've had paypal for years, so I can't remember the exact process, but I'm pretty sure that if you have either a normal bank account or a credit card, you can use paypal. You might want to check it out, since it'll probably be cheaper than the wire services.

May 30, 2009 at 6:16 AM Post #7,478 of 7,725
Is the computer detecting it? Is it on super mode? Have you tired playing something though the amp only in super mode as a test? Did you have it connected to a surge protector? Is the knob set to USB and not the turn below that, mine for example can make one turn to the left past the USB option. Try unplugging the usb on the computer side with the compass on and then plugging it back in.

May 30, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #7,479 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skorpitarius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Compass is refusing to put any sound out tonight for some reason .
Blue l.e.d. is on, USB cable is connected. Winamp is on via ASIO ...
Nothing ...
I restarted p.c. ... still nothing .
Anyone have any idea What is going on ?!
frown.gif
(

try using direct sound?
confused.gif

May 30, 2009 at 6:27 AM Post #7,480 of 7,725
UPDATE :

I turned it off for awhile (bout half hour) and just powered it back on and its back to normal ... very strange ... maybe it was tired ? Needed a smoke break and a cocktail ??
smily_headphones1.gif

In any case, very relieved obviously ...
Will not be using that high-gain switch setting again ... has something to do with it ?

It's sounding really good also .... opening up ... more detail .... etcetra, etcetra ...(listening via Sony MDR-SA5000 'phones ...)

k701smile.gif

May 30, 2009 at 7:50 AM Post #7,481 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by edselfordfong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
someone can correct me if I'm wrong about this, but a chinese friend told me that she paid a flat 50 USD to transfer money from the US to China.

Also, I've had paypal for years, so I can't remember the exact process, but I'm pretty sure that if you have either a normal bank account or a credit card, you can use paypal. You might want to check it out, since it'll probably be cheaper than the wire services.

I don't doubt you're correct. The problem for me is one of timing...if I want to do this before the first of June, setting up a paypal account is going to be realistic, as I'll have to get confirmation of a bank account, etc...

May 30, 2009 at 11:01 AM Post #7,482 of 7,725
Skorpitarius, chances are it was entirely due to the computer acting up, nothing wrong with the compass at all. So next time just turn off the compass for 5 seconds and restart it if there's no sound playing, and make sure you close your media player and restart it, maybe even restart your computer. And if none of that works make sure windows hasn't accidentally reverted your default to something other than compass in Start>Control Pnale>Sound>Playback device.

roy jones, you can pay when it is time to ship the compass which gives you ~2 weeks to set up paypal.

May 30, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #7,483 of 7,725
Quote:

I don't doubt you're correct. The problem for me is one of timing...if I want to do this before the first of June, setting up a paypal account is going to be realistic, as I'll have to get confirmation of a bank account, etc...

Paypal can now verify your bank account electronically. So you can have everything set up in a matter of minutes. I don't know where you are from, but that how it is in the US.

May 30, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #7,484 of 7,725
I've certainly come a long way in this thread being one of the first to receive the Compass in its 'classic' face plate.

Upon endless fiddling, I can safely conclude that the best setting to go with the Compass is Earth and at Neutral jumper settings. The Soft 1 and Soft 2 setting actually introduce etches in the upper-midrange and treble region which I just realized today upon AB-ing the Compass with other amps in a mini-meet. I've also realized that while the Compass presents an unbeatable value, its weakness starts to show when compared to other dedicated headphone amps mainly in transparency and midrange. No worries though, it's really a good step for starters but please realize there are really other better things out there.
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #7,485 of 7,725
As you can see below my Compass was passed over to UK customs on the 26th of May, how long does it normally take for it to pass through customs and what courier will it be handed to for the final leg of the delivery process?

I'm concerned that it has been several days and I've heard nothing, hopefully I'm just being impatient but I like to check these things and don't like not being able to track it's progress.

Any UK Compass buyers have a similar experience?

Your item was handed over to Customs(UNITED KINGDOM COVENTRY PF) at 2009-05-26 20:08:00

Timing Site Status
2009-05-24 13:59:00 GUANGZHOU Posting
2009-05-24 14:38:00 GUANGZHOU Despatch from Sorting Center
2009-05-24 17:07:00 GUANGZHOU Arrival at Sorting Center
2009-05-24 20:14:00 GUANGZHOU Despatch from Sorting Center
2009-05-26 20:08:00 UNITED KINGDOM COVENTRY PF Arrival at Sorting Center
2009-05-26 20:08:00 UNITED KINGDOM COVENTRY PF Handed over to Customs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back