The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
May 31, 2009 at 5:09 AM Post #7,501 of 7,725
So I just started burning in my sun, cant really say much yet, but im not thinking that it sounds lacking on the bass at all. Perhaps that is because I am burning it in with soft-2 jumper settings. and I used bright with the moon(which I just removed).

Did anyone notice that the compass runs hotter when they first started burning in an hdam?

I cant wait to hear what this setup has in store for me. (w/ er-4p/s)

May 31, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #7,502 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by arcer63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did anyone notice that the compass runs hotter when they first started burning in an hdam?

Yes however I have not yet switched mine out but I feel the top every so often and the hottest it has been was in the first 30hours however my room temp varies +-10F.

90 hours burn in so far
happy_face1.gif

May 31, 2009 at 8:02 AM Post #7,503 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by punk_guy182 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone tried contacting Audio-GD lately?
I can't get kingwa or Cherry reply to my emails and answer my questions.

from what i know this week is their public holidays (Dragon boat festival?)
k701smile.gif

for thurs and fri

May 31, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #7,504 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by squall343 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
from what i know this week is their public holidays (Dragon boat festival?)
k701smile.gif

for thurs and fri

I just got my reply from Kingwa so everything is cool.
I'm getting the Panther and I'm eager to hear how well it matches with the compass.
I used to get a ground loop before with my previous amp. He asked me to reconnect some earth wire with soldering. I'll wait and see how it goes with the Panther an if the ground loop goes away. If not, I guess I'll have to find someone in my area who has the equipment and the knowledge.

May 31, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #7,505 of 7,725
With the compass having such a long burn in time I was wondering if anyone is using special software like burninwave when they are not using the compass or if they are just leaving it playing music. Personally I have been burning mine in by running foobar with a bunch of different music. Currently I have burned in 105 hours continuous using this method.

May 31, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #7,508 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoFGR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do i need tools in order to unplug the ground wire from the pcb so i can switch opamps ? how much wider soundstage am i supposed to get by using MOON instead of earth ?

Small Phillips Screwdriver.

May 31, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #7,509 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeroibis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the compass having such a long burn in time I was wondering if anyone is using special software like burninwave when they are not using the compass or if they are just leaving it playing music. Personally I have been burning mine in by running foobar with a bunch of different music. Currently I have burned in 105 hours continuous using this method.

I'm playing pink noise through my some of my gear at the moment to burn it in faster. However, I found that the Compass burned in just by leaving it switched on, even with no music playing. I think it has more to do with the components being warm, except headphones and cables of course.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoFGR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do i need tools in order to unplug the ground wire from the pcb so i can switch opamps ? how much wider soundstage am i supposed to get by using MOON instead of earth ?

Just a regular "phillips" screwdriver is required to change the HDAM. You don't really get more soundstage with the Moon, it's more that the slight EQ changes give the illusion of soundstage. There is what is probably the most epic headphone review ever, here, which explains "headstage" very well.

Jun 1, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #7,510 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm playing pink noise through my some of my gear at the moment to burn it in faster. However, I found that the Compass burned in just by leaving it switched on, even with no music playing. I think it has more to do with the components being warm, except headphones and cables of course.

Does it really burn in without signal? I have it in my room, and its just too loud to have my computer and headphones running when I'm trying to sleep, so it limits my burn in, but if it actually does something just being on, I may just do that when not sleeping! Thanks!

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #7,511 of 7,725
I had intended to order a Compass today, but the promotional pricing is no longer in effect. I forgot to take time differences in to account when planning to order.
frown.gif

I've sent Audio-GD an email regarding the situation. Hopefully, they'll let me get it at the introductory price, but I understand if they won't.

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #7,512 of 7,725
that would suck if timechange messed up your special monkey good luck!

Jun 1, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #7,513 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeroibis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Pink noise from computer. It's supposed to speed up the process since you will be feeding wide band signal to the equipment. I am not a believer in burning in but I am supersticiuos enough to go through the process
wink.gif

Anyhow, I pulled the trigger couple of weeks ago. One week lead time, one week for shipping and customs. Now the compass has been burning in for a week. I haven't listened to it carefully, but it sounds good. It is not as analytical as my GS Novo, but actually I find Compass more involving and easy to listen for longer periods of time. I am burning it in with soft2 setting which does not go well with Senn HD600s, it sounds a bit muffled. with neutral or bright, it sounds much better.

Jun 1, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #7,514 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Monkeypillow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had intended to order a Compass today, but the promotional pricing is no longer in effect. I forgot to take time differences in to account when planning to order.
frown.gif

I've sent Audio-GD an email regarding the situation. Hopefully, they'll let me get it at the introductory price, but I understand if they won't.

Well, I hope he takes the time difference into consideration, Yes I see the promo price is over, but as an incentive, apart from the default Earth Opamp, One Moon Opamp is included free, but this offer only for this month (June), thats what the website says..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back